Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2020, 03:19 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I messed up.

Hey all, I have a 2006 Monaco Knight and when installing my traveler Sat dish, I drilled through the roof and plastic box inside the cabinet to the right of the TV to run the cables to the controller and dish receiver and I didn’t know there were wires running across the top of the plastic box. 😢

I evidently cut the wires to the radio bedroom and the right side main area speakers and the wires to the front and rear ICC lights. 😞

Can that cabinet and plastic box be disassembled so I can reach and splice the wires? If so, how does it come apart without damaging it or something else. Is there another option? I can remove the TV to access the left side where the wires enter and I can pull the speaker above the door to access the right side compartment, so it’s difficult, but not impossible. I’d rather just just pull the cabinet, but I understand that stupid people can’t be choosy. 😡

Thanks, Jerry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2020, 03:27 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco had good cabinet makers and the design incorporated the use of lots of hidden pocket screws. Good news is once you figure out how the puzzle was put together you'll be able to take it apart and put it back together and in the end never know you did it.

You will probably have to take out the cabinets going toward the rear first.

Some of the cabinets will have false sides and bottoms to access the pocket screws.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:11 PM   #3

What is the plastic box , is it part of the cabinet ?

Jim is right , the cabinets can all be disassembled or at least the Windsor's can .

I removed the TV and it's cabinet to make the cabinet smaller and install a flat screen.
There is a big opening with the TV removed and a huge hole with the cabinet removed
I would start with the TV . Depending on how far over you cut the wires you may be
able to repair them through the big TV opening .

Ray D
03 Windsor
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:20 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You will need a selection of square drive bits and many of the screws will be countersunk at an angle into the wood.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:40 PM   #5
YC1

Welcome to the forum and I bet you learned something.

If you post some pictures you will get more responses. There is an amazing talent pool here as you are finding.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
You will need a selection of square drive bits and many of the screws will be countersunk at an angle into the wood.
The selection needs to be different lengths to accommodate clearance issues. The square bit itself should be a #2. I use a cheap right-angle reversible drill motor to get into narrow cabinets.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:36 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
The selection needs to be different lengths to accommodate clearance issues. The square bit itself should be a #2. I use a cheap right-angle reversible drill motor to get into narrow cabinets.
These should be a good length to have on hand. You need this type of fixed bit as the adapters that let you install different bits usually have a clearance problem in the pocket holes.

https://tinyurl.com/ufjdgsl

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:48 AM   #8

I hope you can fix it before your wife finds out!!
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:29 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Pictures

Here are a couple pics of the cabinets and my wife already knows. 😔
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06EBF755-30AA-4C3C-B1F8-E149802A6036.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	272447   Click image for larger version

Name:	8EC0AA70-9B94-4C90-B71D-DED895AE5D8D.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	272448  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ED8E8044-17D2-4AC3-94C2-FF581D3E1278.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	272449  
JerKat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:35 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerKat2 View Post
Here are a couple pics of the cabinets and my wife already knows. ��
I don't see a plastic box so not sure what that is. I would start by taking the door off the hinges, remove all the electronics and reach around inside trying to find those countersunk screws mentioned earlier. You might be able to get the face frame off so you can get better access inside for the repairs.

Monaco did some creative things back then. You may have to remove the tv as well to access any screws that are holding the frame. You may also have reach inside the cabinet to the right and feel for any screws in there that they used to tie the whole assembly together. It's really trial and error.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:42 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerKat2 View Post
Here are a couple pics of the cabinets and my wife already knows. 😔
Our 2006 Diplomat is very similar to your coach. One thing you might try is to remove the speaker and the A-pillar panel between the windshield and the door. There are quite a few wires running behind the A-pillar and you can reach in thru the speaker opening and get to some wires. Also take out the television. If you can find the wires that were cut you might be able to pull in new lengths of wire on either side of the cuts and splice around the cuts. Another thought is to use a 3 inch hole saw and cut a large hole in the side of the plastic enclosure on the television side. You can then reach your hand thru the hole and fish for the wires. I cut a hole in that same location to help fish some cable from one side to the other.

For future reference a lot of cables and wires can be reached by taking out the speaker on the driver's side. I have lost count of how many times I have had that speaker and the left A-pillar out to fish wires and cables.

Bob
Old 01-17-2020, 08:45 AM   #12

Bob , I don't have plastic boxes up there in my Windsor .
Do you guys have plastic boxes as inside compartments ?
Will they come out ?

If I faced JerKat2's problem I think I would just cut a good sized
opening in the ceiling of the compartment , make my repairs and
cover it with thin plywood .
I have seen very thin material at Lowes in the cabinet area
the panels are used as end panels for cabinets .

Ray 03 Windsor
Old 01-18-2020, 08:07 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
Bob , I don't have plastic boxes up there in my Windsor .
Do you guys have plastic boxes as inside compartments ?
Will they come out ?

If I faced JerKat2's problem I think I would just cut a good sized
opening in the ceiling of the compartment , make my repairs and
cover it with thin plywood .
I have seen very thin material at Lowes in the cabinet area
the panels are used as end panels for cabinets .

Ray 03 Windsor
Ray,

You are further up the food chain and have all wood cabinets in your coach. The Diplomat and below has wood for the cabinet doors and drawers but a lot of the cabinet frames are fake wood covered with a material that looks like wood. And yes the compartment the OP is referring to has a black plastic insert. I ordered some sheets of black ABS plastic from Amazon to make covers for holes that I have made from time to time.

https://tinyurl.com/qpj5qub

Bob
Old 01-18-2020, 08:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Ray,

You are further up the food chain and have all wood cabinets in your coach. The Diplomat and below has wood for the cabinet doors and drawers but a lot of the cabinet frames are fake wood covered with a material that looks like wood. And yes the compartment the OP is referring to has a black plastic insert. I ordered some sheets of black ABS plastic from Amazon to make covers for holes that I have made from time to time.

https://tinyurl.com/qpj5qub

Bob
Thanks Bob
That clears things up some Can those inserts be removed out the front ?
If they can it would sure make repairs easier Even if they can't be removed
he could cut the top out of the compartment and use your plastic to make
a new ceiling .

Ray