RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2020, 01:01 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
On our '06 Dynasty, I found that after the wipers have automatically turned on the headlights, once I have turned the wipers back "OFF", all I have to do is manually pull the headlight switch to the "ON" position and then back to "OFF" and they will then go off and stay off.

That being true, I would not blame the SmartWheel controller for that action.
Yep, this is what VIP instructions say to do...doesn't work on mine.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2020, 01:04 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Please be aware that the original DRL are problematic. The wiper/headlight issue is one of the symptoms. A fire can be the result. I also remember something about a white wire coming out of the vip box bring undersized or bad connection.
I have a new controller. Is the DRL relay part of the controller?
Old 09-08-2020, 01:05 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
One problem with the Smartwheel (on some Coaches) is that all the current for the headlights goes through the VIP module then to lights. That causes the VIP to fail over time. The fix is to use relays for the headlights (one for high beam and for low) so the higher current goes through the relay and the VIP only has to deal with the low current "control" side of the relay.
I have rewired my headlights through a relay. My light switch melted. I did a post about it here.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:08 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Tim
Do you have a chassis wiring diagram for your coach.
Not sure how similar your 2000 Dynasty is to my Windsor but when I look at my head light circuit there are contributing components that control the lights.
DRL

Parkbrake
Head light Switch
VIP steering wheel and controller.

You might start with the DRL relay since this should be easy to access and try. It does recieve a signal from the Park Brake which is suppose to turn it off, another easy check.
Where is the DRL relay located?
Old 09-08-2020, 03:16 PM   #33
Ali

Monaco Owners Club
I heard someone had tried it before, so I've done a slip ring to clock spring conversion myself about a year ago. Although it worked without any issues, I ended up removing it later on.

I am sharing it in case someone would like to improve on the basic design -or- the steering removal instructions are helpful:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/200...on-429808.html
Old 09-08-2020, 03:24 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
I think most are mounted in the drivers side electrical bay as part of the chassis distribution. Not all rigs have a DRL.

Do you have a chassis wiring diagram. Mine shows the relay but not the locations. Gets power from the ACC of the key. It does receive a signal for the park brake when it is engaged and I believe it then shuts the lights off.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:19 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I think most are mounted in the drivers side electrical bay as part of the chassis distribution. Not all rigs have a DRL.

Do you have a chassis wiring diagram. Mine shows the relay but not the locations. Gets power from the ACC of the key. It does receive a signal for the park brake when it is engaged and I believe it then shuts the lights off.
My controller is in that bay But I haven't looked for any relay marked DRL. I'm parked in mud now because of rain last night in the SD Badlands. I will look tomorrow. Thank You
Old 09-08-2020, 07:37 PM   #36
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
My controller is in that bay But I haven't looked for any relay marked DRL. I'm parked in mud now because of rain last night in the SD Badlands. I will look tomorrow. Thank You
Do you have schematics? I have a full set of 2001 Dynasty schematics which matches my 2000 wiring.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:44 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Do you have schematics? I have a full set of 2001 Dynasty schematics which matches my 2000 wiring.
Yes I have a full set including Troubleshooting for the VIP Controller that tim299 printed for me. I have a new controller. I just don't feel like messing with it outside in wind chill of 30. I will be here for at least a few days and the weather will warm up. Thank You
Old 09-09-2020, 10:07 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
They call them Snowflakes for a reason.

My wiring diagram shows a DRL relay but never really looked for it so yesterday I went out and inspected my Drivers Side Electrical Bay.

I found 2 unmarked relays but after doing some searches and sending messages to another Windsor owner found that they were for the Alf Fail Light and the fog lights. There is no DRL, there is a pig tail for one but Monaco did not install. Evidently this was for Canadian bound rigs where it is law.

So back to square one on what might be your problem as it rules the DRL relay and park brake.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:40 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
They call them Snowflakes for a reason.

My wiring diagram shows a DRL relay but never really looked for it so yesterday I went out and inspected my Drivers Side Electrical Bay.

I found 2 unmarked relays but after doing some searches and sending messages to another Windsor owner found that they were for the Alf Fail Light and the fog lights. There is no DRL, there is a pig tail for one but Monaco did not install. Evidently this was for Canadian bound rigs where it is law.

So back to square one on what might be your problem as it rules the DRL relay and park brake.
Thank You for checking that out. I'm guessing it could be my ICC relay...just a guess. I have a spare so I will change it out before I leave here.