RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I need some insight

We are planing to buy a used motorhome, to find out, whether we like spending part of our vacation in such a vehicle.

I can get a used 32' Monaco dieselpusher from 1992 with the 190hp Cummins engine. Is this engine strong enough to push the MH across the Rockies to California? Even with a Jeep in tow?

What is your opinion?

Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
We have a 1999 National Tradewinds with a 300hp Cat engine and an Allison six speed tranny. By todays standards 300hp is a pretty small engine. It's 37 ft and we tow a 2006 Ford Escape. The gross weight is about 26,000 lbs. This rig pulls pretty well but I think it's the Tranny engine combination that makes it work. I wouldn't want a much smaller engine especially if you intend to drive in mountains very often.

What transmission is in the coach your looking at?

Test drive before you buy and pull some hills to see if it down shifts a lot. At first blush I'd say 190hp just isn't enough.

Dick

Old 01-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree with Dick if you are going to be in the mountains a lot don't go for that engine. However if you are going to be an annual visitor then it will probably work for you, just remember to keep the RPMs up when climbing.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #4

Hudsoner, yes, that is a small motor. However with that said, HP doesn't get your motorhome rolling, it is torque. I would guess that the engine in that motorhome probably has 500-700 ft. lbs. of it. That is more than the biggest gasser out there. And with the fact that you are looking at a 32' motorhome, I would guess that it would propel it down the road just fine. Maybe someone with that set up will answer and give you a little better "seat of the pants" evaluation.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #5

1992 was a crossover year for a four speed vs six speed Allison transmission. Do not get a coach with a four speed. Banks make a kit for right around a $1000 to bump your Cummins horsepower way up there.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for your input. The unit sits an a dealers lot about 8 - 10 hours away from here.that is the reason that I try to get as much info as I can prior to drive/fly down there. I have no idea what trany it has, and will write an email to the dealer about that.

It is this motorhome
Used Monaco Dynasty Class A Motorhome for sale
Old 01-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Take a test drive in it and try to find a big mountain.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
We are planing to buy a used motorhome, to find out, whether we like spending part of our vacation in such a vehicle.

I can get a used 32' Monaco dieselpusher from 1992 with the 190hp Cummins engine. Is this engine strong enough to push the MH across the Rockies to California? Even with a Jeep in tow?

What is your opinion?
Before buying you should rent. Most likely you will be hooked if you are the outdoors type but it could be an expensive lesson if you aren't.

Good Luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Hudsoner, take a peak at LPI modifications for the Cummings. A report I read claimed about 1.50% increase in HP and improved mileage when the Liquid Propane Injection system kit is installed. The diesel motor is a natural for the LPI changeover.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the hint!

I did a quick search and found this in Wikpedia
Quote:
LPG injection for diesel vehicles

The performance, economy and emission profile of diesel engines can be improved by injecting a small quantity of LPG into the inlet manifold. It is claimed that the LPG increases the burning efficiency of the diesel fuel from typically 75-85%, to 95-98%.[18]
The systems typically operate by metering a small quantity of LPG, at a pressure slightly above atmospheric, into the intake manifold, where it enters the combustion chamber and is ignited with the diesel. LPG flow is regulated to ensure smooth operation, and will typically only deliver LPG under power.
It is claimed that such a system can result in a 10% to 20% increase in power and torque,[18][19] and a reduction in overall fuel costs. Any actual savings are dependent on the relative cost of diesel versus LPG. In Australia, where diesel costs substantially more than LPG, savings of 10 to 20% are claimed.[20]
The above systems add small quantities of LPG with the primary aim of improving economy, but much larger quantities of LPG can be injected in order to increase power. Even at full output a diesel engine runs about 50% lean of stoichiometric to avoid black smoke production, so there is a substantial amount of oxygen in the intake charge which is not consumed in the combustion process. This oxygen is therefore available for the combustion of a substantial addition of LPG resulting in a large increase in power output.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #11

The other thing to check and see if it has a leaf spring suspension because they are really rough riding compared to an air bag suspension. And I mean rough. The fact that he didn't mention a six speed tranny in the ad makes me believe it is a 4 speed and he wants to stay away from saying that. It is a nice looking interior. A 190hp B5.9 Cummins is really underpowered. I had a Cummins B5.9 230 version and I had to put the Banks Diesel kit on it. That model Cummins had a real problem with the head gasket leaking anti-freeze out the side. With the motor in backwards the exact spot is in the back driverside corner wher the alternator sits. You need a good flashlight and look at the side of the block around that area both from the top and the bottom to see if it is wet. It will actually leak down over the top of the waterpump so one will think it is the waterpump that is bad. If you rub your fingers just above the waterpump and they are wet then that is a problem.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:53 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm a bit confused by the discussion here.

I thought the 1992 Monaco Dynasty rode on a Spartan chassis, which is an excellent chassis, but Monaco began using their own Roadmaster chassis which they bought from Dodge a year or two later.

I thought the 1992 Monaco Dynasty had the Cummins 8.3L Diesel, which in that year was rated at 275HP, which in a 31' coach would simply be able to fly down the road and over any mountain.

That's a great looking motor coach. It depresses me to think that my coach is only worth that little bit of money in a couple more years.

Wow! Talk about your bad investments!
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:56 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
More reading..
Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: 1992 Monaco Dynasty 70K
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:27 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post

What is your opinion?
Assuming the engine and transmission are in good health and maintained my guess would be yes. The horsepower rating does not mean much when you are climbing hills, its the torque that gets you over the hill. The higher the horsepower the faster you get over the hill. If you are in a hurry then maybe a motorhome is not your cup of tea.

Bob

nodine is offline   Reply With Quote