RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2020, 09:14 PM   #1

Ice maker winterization question

Our new 1998 Dynasty has been winterized and I have certainly appreciated the advice that helped me do this the first time. Now sitting by my Canadian fireplace and tonight will ne 10 degree minus a thought popped into my head.
The previous owner told me what he did and I followed that . He made no mention as to the icemaker as he told me he never turned it on.
My question is ..did I miss something or am I worrying about nothing ! Thanks in advance for any advice
btw we never had any ice this summer and did not see it produce any
cheers
John
JMCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2020, 09:21 PM   #2
Dom

If you remove the water fittings at the back of the fridge and let them drain out.
If you have air just blow out water solenoid. If not just use your mouth, you should be fine. Any fittings inside fridge is used to cold temps
Old 10-17-2020, 11:32 AM   #3

This is how the ice maker works:

A harvest cycle is initiated when the mold where the ice cubes are frozen drops in temperature below about 16 degrees F. That triggers the mold heater to begin warming the mold. At the same time, a motor turns the plastic fingers and starts pushing on the ice cubes to force them out. When the ice cubes come loose, the fingers push the cubes out into the storage bin. The motor pushing the fingers has a couple of micro-switches on the end with some gears. As the motor turns and forces the cubes out, it closes one of those micro-switches which opens the water solenoid valve to refill the mold with water and start a new batch of ice. When the motor completes it's revolution, another micro switch opens and stops everything till the freezer once again cools the mold to 16 degrees F and starts another harvest cycle repeating the process. The colder the freezer, the more often a harvest cycle will occur.

To ensure all water is out of the tube between the solenoid and the mold, taking the tube loose from the solenoid will siphon it out. Taking the feed line to the solenoid loose and blowing it out is my preferred method of finishing winterizing the ice maker. You'll have to trace the tube back to it's source where there should be a shut-off valve.

Don't use the pink stuff or you'll have a mess to clean up next spring which will require making and throwing away several batches of ice before the ice cubes are consumable again.
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter