Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2021, 07:57 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
ICS 8.3 Coolant Filter Valve Stuck

Preparing to change out the filter and have read about how easy it is to break the valve. Since I have already changed the oil filter access is limited to the backside of the valve.

Questions....

1) Does the valve rotate either direction?
2) Is there a wrench size for the backside of the valve? To make A long handled tool.
3) Vacuum on the system to limit drainage during filter exchange?
4) Just do it quickly and deal with the mess?
5) Suggestions welcome!

JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2021, 03:39 PM   #2

Hi JellyBean; Try watching this UTube video.
Shows him replacing the coolant filter. Also show him turning the coolant shut off valve. Reaching up from the bottom he turns the shut off valve clockwise just 90 degrees.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:12 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Hi JellyBean; Try watching this UTube video.
Shows him replacing the coolant filter. Also show him turning the coolant shut off valve. Reaching up from the bottom he turns the shut off valve clockwise just 90 degrees.

Thanks!

I watched that the yesterday but didn't catch the direction the first time as his hand is blocking. Watching again I can see his thumb turn the valve's direction. Looks like I will need to make 2 wrenches. One short to start the turn (between the filters) and another to complete the turn to shut it off.

Maybe I will get lucky and just starting the motion will free up the valve so's it will turn by hand.

I read at least three posts describing how easily it is to break the valve by using force on the "handle" side. The recommendation was to turn the valve on the inside between the filters. When the oil filter is off there is room to access that side.

Waiting on the Air Filter and AC belt to arrive before I change the Coolant Filter; but I guess the gives me time to test out freeing my stuck valve.

Thanks again for posting the video. Made me take a second look!
Old 07-27-2021, 06:52 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Do you have the Cummins QuickServe Online for your engine? If not, you can sign up with your engine serial # on this link:
https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

I was looking at the same issue some time ago. For my ISL 400, I found the below info. There is a valve handle on each side that connects to the same shaft.

If that's the same on all Cummins engines, I can see why those valves can be broken by trying to turn the wrong way. One closes clockwise, the other side CCW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ISL 400 Coolant Filter shutoff valve.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	337430  
Old 07-27-2021, 10:46 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer1 View Post
Do you have the Cummins QuickServe Online for your engine? If not, you can sign up with your engine serial # on this link:
https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

I was looking at the same issue some time ago. For my ISL 400, I found the below info. There is a valve handle on each side that connects to the same shaft.

If that's the same on all Cummins engines, I can see why those valves can be broken by trying to turn the wrong way. One closes clockwise, the other side CCW.

Just signed up yesterday. Thanks for the image!

Yes, I agree it is easy to try to turn these the wrong way; especially looking at the right side of the valve. The side between the filters shows the "stop" block and it is easy to see it only turns one way. But you can't see that from the bottom when lying on the ground....

Looking in from the top side I used a wrench and it turned freely! From there it was simple!

Another day / Another $1.95.....
Old 07-27-2021, 06:47 PM   #6

Hi JellyBean; Glad all worked out and the valve was not frozen! I got a raise up to $2.00!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:36 PM   #7

I didn't have to worry about breaking the shut off valve. , as it didn't know it was there until I had filter off. Hey look that's a good idea. i believe I did operate it and it turned by hand. I did still think is was two valves until now , I probably closed and opened both sides of same valve, hey they both work.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:05 PM   #8

Great to flush engine with water as part of the practice. I have used distilled water for both the flush and to add to antifreeze for the last 20 years. Critical with aluminum components, probably a good idea to keep chlorine and minerals from tap water out of the radiator.

Tags
valve