Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #1

The ignition key cylinder in my 06 Camelot turns with the key in the dash. I need to reach behind the dash, hold the cylinder, and turn the key to start. The key cylinder seems to have a plastic or metal nut that can be tighten.

Does the cylinder have a slot that it fits into? If so, what is the position of the key when in the off position. Before this problem, my key needed to be 45 degrees to the right to remove the key.

I have hand turned the lock nut tight several times but the problem keeps coming back. Thought I would try for an answer here before calling a Monaco Tech.

Thanks.........Ron

2009 Saturn VUE XE FWD
Phrog Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #2

The ignition key cylinder in my 06 Camelot turns with the key in the dash. I need to reach behind the dash, hold the cylinder, and turn the key to start. The key cylinder seems to have a plastic or metal nut that can be tighten.

Does the cylinder have a slot that it fits into? If so, what is the position of the key when in the off position. Before this problem, my key needed to be 45 degrees to the right to remove the key.

I have hand turned the lock nut tight several times but the problem keeps coming back. Thought I would try for an answer here before calling a Monaco Tech.

Thanks.........Ron

2009 Saturn VUE XE FWD
Old 03-16-2008, 11:42 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I get the same action with mine. I took the dash apart once and gave it a good twist, but that only lasted so long. Now, I just reach up under the dash, hold on to the cylinder and twist the outside ring until tight. Once snug, I hold the ring and twist the cylinder to get it as tight as possible.

I have had the whole mess apart and found no keyway or grooves or anything that looks like it would be helpful. Just have to tighten the thing periodically I guess.

--kev

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:06 PM   #4

Thanks Kev,

That is what I needed to know. I am going to see if I can use a bent nosed plier with some tape on the jaws to tighten it up without breaking anything.

2009 Saturn VUE XE FWD
Old 03-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">what is the position of the key when in the off position. Before this problem, my key needed to be 45 degrees to the right to remove the key </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ours is vertical with the teeth on the key pointed down.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:57 PM   #6

Thanks SacsTC,

I am going to try to get my key lined up that way; it seems logical.

2009 Saturn VUE XE FWD
Old 03-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
One of the reasons it could be getting loose is the bezel/nut is bottoming out before clamping on the dash tightly. Mine is doing such and is on my to do list. I have tightened up many over the years. Put key in ignition, look next to key at the one o'clock position for the tiny hole, turn key to left (acc.), then insert paper clip into hole and continue turning left. The key and cylinder will come out. Pay attention as you do this because you need to reassemble key in same position. Look into the hole and note the orientation. Now you can turn the bezel/nut. It helps if you can fit your hand behind the dash and grab the back of the ignition switch and wiggle, or turn it slightly as you either loosen it or tighten it. At the same time, you can rotate the switch to the correct position. If the nut won't clamp the dash securely, you may have to put a large washer on the threaded end of the ignition switch, in essence making the dash thicker. Look where the washer lies against the three tabs on the switch. One has a higher portion, to index it with a slot in the dash. If you have to use a washer for a spacer, you will have to file off the high spot or the switch will fit crooked and not lie flat to the dash, nor tighten securely. When installing, tighten bezel from front as much as possible. Then grab the switch from the rear and continue tightening, as you can get more leverage. Maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of turn. Reinstall key. If when reinstalling the key, the position is off, just loosen it up 1/4 to 1/2 turn and rotate both switch and bezel together and retighten. You shouldn't have to take the key out again to get the 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Good luck.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:08 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The dash is too thin and the switch nut bottoms out before it reaches the dash. About a year ago I found a rubber and brass washer at Home Depot to take up the gap. Worked like a champ. I used the method described by Happycarz to disassemble and modify the switch.

I guess this is just a part of the first year shakedown with a new coach. Makes you wonder though, WHO the he.. puts these things together and hopefully it's not lack of good engineering practices. Oh well, keeps us out of the bars.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote