Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2022, 01:50 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm confused (and prone to wandering)

maybe someone out there can help me understand something I just don't seem to get it. why is that there are some folks who will spend thousands, even 100's of thousands to purchase an RV. (New/Used doesn't really seem to make any difference) then, when it comes to even minor repairs they do it in the cheapest way possible, using the cheapest materials possible regardless of how many times they're going to need to repeat those cheap repairs as you know they just won't hold up? is it just me or does anyone find this to be completely ludicrous. I'm curious since i just purchased the RV i have now about 2 weeks ago. one of these so called repairs was to actually cut a wire off the roadside fuse panel box just to reconnect it to another circuit on the same board by cutting that wire and splicing them together. is there any explanation or logic to this or is it i'm just not seeing it?
perryg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2022, 06:10 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Good question. A couple years ago, we bought a house costing over 1/2 million (yeah, I know - that's becoming nothing special these days ).

Instead of using the proper nuts to attach one of the commodes to the toilet flange bolts on the floor, he used plastic ty-raps. 'splain that one .
Old 05-15-2022, 08:29 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I've got a fairly strong maintenance back ground and understand the long term consequences of taking short cuts.

Fortunately when I bought my rig in 2008 it had been well cared for and in fact the PO made some pretty unique upgrades.

Since I've bought my rig I've tried to take care of it, trying to do things the right way and avoid shortcuts. Not always easy on these types of rigs.

I had the same approach when we built our new house. I didn't take any shortcuts. I told the framing contractor I wanted a house with no "bouncy or squeaky" floors. The design called for 2X10's for the second floor joists. We decided to upgrade to a 2X12". Did the same thing with the roof joists. Building inspector never questioned any part of the build.

I did my own electrical and plumbing, I only bought contractor grade switches and outlets and didn't skimp on the number or location. Each room had a dedicated breaker. One thing I did that you seldom see is that I put safety disconnects on the two circuits coming off the meter box which allows me to isolate each circuit to safely work on it (ya I know I can shut off the 200 amp breaker in the service panel but the main lugs are still hot). Electrical inspector never questioned anything I did, inspections were pretty painless, final inspection was in/out.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:06 AM   #4

i ten to ask myself. "how much more will this cost if i need to replace it on the road? then suddenly, buy6ing the proper parts and taking the time to do things properly seems reasonable compared to on the road mechanics at a minimum of $150 and hour plus 20% parts markup or even worse, the dreaded RV tow
Old 05-16-2022, 07:26 AM   #5

I was a service manager once and there was a sign in my office that said " if you don't have time to do it right, where will you find the time to do it over?".
K Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:33 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
To the OP; knowing and or suspecting this to be true, why do you buy used items that someone else buggered up?
Old 05-16-2022, 10:11 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Who knows?? Maybe they max themselves out on the loan and are tight with their money. Or that is just how they are, why spend money if they can get some-other fix to maybe work??
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:17 AM   #8

Cause it was the best they could do at the time and it worked.

Gonna get to it later when not on vacation/trip and afterwards no need cause it still works
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:06 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
High end motorhomes are kind of like BMW's, in a sense.

As a BMW rider myself for the past 53 years, I will pass on this quote:

"The cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider."

Seems to be true in the RV world as well.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 12:53 PM   #10

I think alot of folks from big money that buy new rigs, often know nothing about basic maintenance. If they do it themselves, rubber bands tywraps and glue. If they hire someone they're at the mercy of the mechanic that also may not have a clue. The best thing that can happen to alot of these rigs is to fall in the hands of guys like us that get a kick out of it and have enough money to do right on a good budget. I bought mine at a good price and with the covid bump is worth nearly twice as much and I've put some into it to get it right. A few high cost items, here and there, but, done right with good gear and you got yourself something.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:33 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Cause it was the best they could do at the time and it worked.

Gonna get to it later when not on vacation/trip and afterwards no need cause it still works
X2!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 03:16 PM   #12

There is nothing more permanent than a temporary solution that continues to work.
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:47 AM   #13

okay. i think i get it a bit better. i'll accept that some people probably try to do things themselves and get in a bit deeper than they thought so they revert to the easy fix. i guess that makes sense to some. my brain won't let me think like that. i do believe in after market parts if originals are unattainable or priced beyond reason. thank you all for your input and i think i have a little better understanding and won't be so critical of it in the future.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:51 AM   #14

i picked up my 2000 holiday rambler diesel pusher 34 with 98k miles. the PO really was clueless as to how to make things work properly. it's in really nice shape inside with the usual delamination i'm going to repair on the outside. i got it for 16.5k after he put about $6.5 k into a new braking system, filters and some other maintenance. did i do ok or do you think i still overpaid? i've put maybe another $700 into it to make everything work with new color cameras and stereo system (with the help of this forum). it's the only diesel i've ever owned that fires when you just turn the key. no cranking on it at all. 7.7 kw propane generator, factory leveling system

Tags
fuse