RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2020, 10:59 AM   #1

Importing 2001 Monaco coach

So I recently bought a 2001 Monaco executive coach in Canada and want to import it into the States. I was told by customs I needed a letter of compliance from the manufacturer which I canít get since they were bought up by Navistar or who ever owns them now.

Was curious if anybody had encountered this and how to go about it?
Lalovilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2020, 11:29 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2 .

I hit similar issue when trying to import my last tow vehicle into the USA to trade it in on my current coach.
Companies that do import into the US didn't want to deal with a single vehicle , only wanted to do bulk ( truck load ; car carrier ).
Finding out if your coach was originally sold in the US then imported to Canada , might help . Speedo is your first clue ; large numbers for MPH ; and close to the chassis GVWR decal a Canadian Government RIV decal ( Register of Imported Vehicles ) . If your coach went through importing into Canada through the RIV , the document you require may be on file in Canada and maybe you can obtain a copy there.
But if the coach was imported by a Canadian dealer ; new for sale in Canada ; with a KPH speedo, then getting info from the current company might be your only option.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:40 AM   #3

Good morning Lalovilla; I don't know where the information came from, but unless something has changed, that is not true. In 2015 I bought a couch out of British Columbia Canada to be imported back into Washington state. I called Monaco Coach and said I needed a letter origin, meaning place or county of manufacture to get the coach out of Canada to be registered in the U.S. Within less than one hour I had an e-mail from Monaco with that letter. The customs agent at the border barely took a glance at it when I crossed the border.

The compliance part you may be referring to could mean does the engine meet all U.S emissions. That letter contains that information. It is possible with all the shut-downs that not too many people at REV are there able to access and process that information and get it to you. You might have to camp on the phone for quite a while until someone can help you there at REV. Ohers here have posted that it takes some time to get someone to talk to. Hope this information helps!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:53 AM   #4

Good morning Oil burner,
The previous owner had bought it new in Canada from a dealer so it didn’t go though RIV. Do you remember who you called back in 2015 to get the letter?

Thanks
Lalovilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:27 PM   #5

Hi again Lavovilla; Even though the 2001 Executive was sold new through a dealer in Canada, the coach was still manufactured in the U.S.A. Even since Monaco went bankrupt and was purchased by Navistar and then later sold to REV, those records should still be available to the public for the very reason you need to bring the coach back into the states so you can get it registered in whatever state you need.

I just called the toll free number on the Monaco Coach web site. Had to navigate through some of their menus and got directed to someone who e-mailed the letter I mentioned. From what I understand you still can get the build sheet for Monaco products by providing them with the VIN number of the coach. You should also be able to request the Vehicle Data Sheet that shows all the equipment your coach was built with. That includes the manufactures of the roof A/C's, engine, transmission, axles and so forth. Sorry I can't provide what menu to pick once you get through to them on the phone. I would try the tech. line for information once you get through to talk to someone. Tell them what you need and they should be able to connect you to someone to talk to. Hope this gets you going to get what you need!

P.S. When I had the customs agent at the border in the coach it seemed to me that the most important thing to the agent was matching up the paper work from the seller, VIN#, to the VIN sticker that is usually located right behind the drivers seat on the wall of the coach. Mostly all Monaco coaches have that sticker along with tire size and pressures behind the drivers seat on the wall. Hope this also helps. I had no problem bring the coach into Wa. State to be registered. Total time at the border including for the customs agent to process the paperwork for entry into the U.S.A. was one half hour.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:51 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We tried to purchase a used Monaco coach from Canada about 3 years ago. I also called the new Monaco and obtained a letter of compliance. Once you find the right person it's easy but you will have to go through a few folks until you find someone that understands.

What stopped our purchase was two things. #1 was Canadian motor vehicles do not have titles, only registration and there was no way to prove there wasn't a lien on the coach. #2 was the rust. The rust all through everything was too much.

This is the web site with the contact info for the new Monaco Coach which is a division of Rev Group. I would start with the Coburg OR phone number and work my way through.
https://www.monacocoach.com/contact
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:45 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
What stopped our purchase was two things. #1 was Canadian motor vehicles do not have titles, only registration and there was no way to prove there wasn't a lien on the coach.
https://www.monacocoach.com/contact
Just FYI, there are several ways to find out if a vehicle in Canada has a lien against it, E.g. Carfax, Equifax, PPSA, ACOL etc. Banks and car dealers do it all the time on trades/used cars etc.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco