Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2022, 07:11 PM   #1

Incessant squeaking from dash/windshield

On the freeway I can't hear it probably because it's drowned out, but back roads and around town it's non stop. I was guessing it's coming from the windshield..or windshield contacting the dash? Do I suffer alone or is this a common issue ? I thought to run dry silicone along the edge of the windshield, or hire an exorcist.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2022, 07:52 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Initially I thought it was the passenger seat, even took some bungee's and tried to stop it. Eventually I was getting a lot of squeaking and rattles, applied some felt spacers on my overhead cabinet doors and most of them went away.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 08:41 AM   #3

You might want to hold off on silicone in case windshield seal may benefit from sealer.
In case it's the door wipe some silicone spray around the door seals , it worked for T-tops back in the day. Use some drops of light oil on hinges. I'm sure you seen turbine oil in squeeze bottle pull out straw ...Zoom spot oil works great My appliance repair friend introduced me to it.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 08:55 AM   #4

I had a very annoying noise/squeak on the right that could get really loud. I read somewhere to put tape on the 2 door latch posts but did not believe that could be the source of my noise.
Finally one day I just put elect tape on those posts and to my great surprise, the noise is gone.
Who knows maybe that's your problem, it's easy to try.
It doesn't last long so I need to find a better fix.

Ray & Marilyn
03 Windsor
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 09:04 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
These are great tips!

My rig has an occasional squeak from the door area, and a more rare very high pitched squeak coming from somewhere around or just behind the driver's seat (no pullouts) that I've been trying to hunt down.
RoadTrip2084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 09:15 AM   #6

I had a squeaky door post on my Navion 24G that I cured by spraying with "Houdini" lubricant, made for lubricating locks. I had tried the wrapping with teflon pipe tape, electrical tape, lubing with oil, etc. Nothing worked until I tried the Houdini. Now I try to remember to spray it once in a while even though the squeak has not returned - better to stay ahead of it I reason, though it may not be necessary.
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 08:53 AM   #7

Great suggestions thank you. I don't "think" it's my door posts as I keep them lubed with lithium grease but I will try again and the tape trick too. I swear it's coming from the windshield but rather risk the admiral's life trying to hear it on the road, I may try the old mechanics' trick of some surgical tubing - like a stethoscope.
Far as windshield sealant can you add a little color please - like silicone around the perimeter ?
Old 02-13-2022, 09:32 PM   #8

I would only use windshield sealant on windshield. And only use silicone to repair certain coaches where OEM sealing was silicone .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:14 AM   #9

There is a rubber seal in the front that ....well it seals and is in between the dash and the windshield tight as can be. Trying to understand why not try a little dry teflon on that. How about I try it and report back
Old 02-14-2022, 08:25 AM   #10
YC1

Between the bottom of the windshield and the dash I used some landscaping foam. This stuff is UV resistant and won't fade out like the regular yellow stuff.

It has been too many years to remember when I did it but that particular squeak is not there.

The door can be a real pain to sort. The screen can be causing it as well as the door.
Using felt you can buy in sheets or cut into round pieces there are many of those in various places around the screen and door to keep things from making me drive over a cliff.

They fall off after a couple of years but are easy to just add more.

The wife has spent a lot of time standing in the stepwell chasing those annoying noises.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 09:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Between the bottom of the windshield and the dash I used some landscaping foam. This stuff is UV resistant and won't fade out like the regular yellow stuff.

It has been too many years to remember when I did it but that particular squeak is not there.

The door can be a real pain to sort. The screen can be causing it as well as the door.
Using felt you can buy in sheets or cut into round pieces there are many of those in various places around the screen and door to keep things from making me drive over a cliff.

They fall off after a couple of years but are easy to just add more.

The wife has spent a lot of time standing in the stepwell chasing those annoying noises.

ha ha I thought it was only my wife ! Yes the screen door is a candidate for improvement. This particular noise does seem like rubber on glass but I am guessing.
Old 02-14-2022, 10:32 AM   #12

When I had my Fleetwood Discovery, I had a terrible squeak from the door area. I discovered that the door had a loose screw at the bottom that when closed, rubbed against the door frame. Tightened and shaved the head of the screw, noise went away.

2000 Monaco Executive. 350 Cummins.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 12:57 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
My incessant windshield area squeak was caused by loose brackets that join bottom of dash to the front cap. Monaco had installed two L brackets to join the two. On my coach these can be seen by looking up at bottom of dash while in the generator compartment.

One had stripped screws and other one was loose. I relocated one and added three more.

The front cap where the screws going in has wood backers molded into the fiberglass. These stay tight, for the most part. The screws going into the bottom of the dash have to be tightened carefully as to not strip them. The bottom of the dash is soft wood, maybe luan.

About once a year my dash will start squeaking and I snug all my screws and I’m good for another year.

I like Myron’s idea about foaming it. Why didn’t I think of that 14 years ago when mine started squeaking.

Mine is a 08 Camelot and all models are not built the same. But, I hope this helps you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1025.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	337.6 KB
ID:	356517

Name:	IMG_1028.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	804.7 KB
ID:	356518

Name:	IMG_1029.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	322.7 KB
ID:	356519

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 02:49 PM   #14

I have had squeaks. you have good suggestions. Thanks for the Tape idea on the strikers that is a great Idea! Better than constantly re-greasing them.
I had sprayed so much crap on my door seals I was sure that was the source but nope the strikers were it.

We have the original window blinds and the side window behind the passenger will squeak if in a certain spot. Sounded like it was more up front and took a while to find.
my wife just raised it about 1/2" and no more squeak.

Tags
dash, squeak, wind, windshield