Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #225

[QUOTE=hdossett;...

Next project, the microwave light over the range (and other incandescents). Not only does it use 2x40 watt bulbs, but the inverter has to come on and that another 36 watts (3 amps) just for it!

H...[/QUOTE]

I did it, see http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/chang...ml#post1642205

H.

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #226

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Here is my contribution to this great thread. While converting my bathroom fixture to LED I realized that it would be nice to build in a night light. So borrowing from the earlier switch idea, I added a switch and a small 3 LED segment to the fixture and ta da... night light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	42330  
CapnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #227

Now that was the idea I needed! Thanks.
MSGulfCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #228

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks AZSTORK for starting this thread and everyone who contributed. It's been an interesting read.

Ron
bgbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #229

Just did this upgrade to my 1998 Executive. One 5m roll will do three lights. 14 left to do. Went with the cool white. Thanks so much for this great idea. The pictures and write up were perfect.
bjhammar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #230

Muddypaws - do you have a model # for the DC-DC step down converter? I'm looking at one on EBay but no indication it's adjustable.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #231

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This One

Wow! I should be getting a commission on these. But at $1.77 each it might net me a cup of coffee....

NEW LM2596HV LM2596S DC DC Step Down CC CV Adjustable Power Supply Module | eBay
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:46 AM   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
Wow! I should be getting a commission on these. But at $1.77 each it might net me a cup of coffee....

NEW LM2596HV LM2596S DC DC Step Down CC CV Adjustable Power Supply Module | eBay
I will give you a free cup of coffee if we ever meet.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:19 AM   #233

Monaco Owners Club
Muddypaws,
Did you install one of these in every fixture, or wire one into the main line, perhaps at the switch?
Seems they might be a bit big to fit inside the thin fixture...

I'll throw a coffee your way too

Thanks,
Craig

Quote:

Old 08-31-2013, 07:35 AM   #234

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:

Does this one have variable voltage that you set? Does it have a display or do you use a meter when you set it?
I have one fixture I converted to 4 led strips and it seems to be much dimmer than it was when I put them in
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:54 AM   #235

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This should answer both questions

Attached is an image showing where I mounted the regulator as well as where the voltage adjustment screw is.

There is no display. I simply used a meter.

The regulator does dissipate a little bit of heat so I didn't want to just stick it on with hot glue or double sided tape. I put it on the opposite end from the switch because I didn't want to deal with all the other wiring there.

The little board has 4 mounting holes but I only used 2 of them diagonally. It's not going to go anywhere. I also used 1/8" nylon tube spacers so that the board doesn't touch anything. Winter project!

As you can see I left the rest of the fixture intact. I could revert to florescent by moving one wire back to it's original position. If you have taken out the sockets at each end of the tubes you'll have 4 better places for the regulator.

About using a single regulator: A single VR that services several fixtures would dissipate a non trivial amount of heat and cost much more. I looked at several that also included the right type of dimmer and they ranged from $30 to well over $100. I think it would be easy to add a PWM dimmer to this but it would require drilling a hole in the front of the fixture and I wasn't willing to do that yet. I'm also thinking of replacing the LED's with warm white based upon the spousal units comments. Winter Project!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LED-VR-Small.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	45104  
Old 08-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #236

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Nice install on the regulator. Tell the SU I don't like the cool white either. I'm in the market for some 3500K led strip lights.

Kinda weird; the 4 strip fixture I converted to led strips already seems to be much dimmer now?
Old 08-31-2013, 03:09 PM   #237

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Inconsistencies in LEDs

Jeff,

The LEDs I used were much brighter than the tubes I took out. I used 4 18 LED rows of SM5050 cool whites in each fixture and had to trim the voltage down to just over 10v to get just enough light and no heat build up. Your mileage may vary.

There are probabably pretty big differences in light output depending upon when & where the LEDs were manufactured. But if you need more light you can always cram more LEDs in there I guess. More soldering is all. They're a PITA to solder but the connectors they sell for them are totally useless so there really is no other option.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:25 PM   #238

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Jeff,

The LEDs I used were much brighter than the tubes I took out. I used 4 18 LED rows of SM5050 cool whites in each fixture and had to trim the voltage down to just over 10v to get just enough light and no heat build up. Your mileage may vary.

There are probabably pretty big differences in light output depending upon when & where the LEDs were manufactured. But if you need more light you can always cram more LEDs in there I guess. More soldering is all. They're a PITA to solder but the connectors they sell for them are totally useless so there really is no other option.
I was able to trim the ends and use the connectors. I need to check the current on them since they seem to be dimmer now. I used 4 strips of Waterproof DC 12V 5M 500cm LED 3528 SMD 600 Leds Cool White Strip Lamp Light from amazon. I don't like the color temperature. Too white.
The yellow light on the ends is where the first led is under the white connector.
They run 3 degrees above ambient without any regulator.

Name:	image-708996810.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	379.2 KB
ID:	45122