Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2021, 09:04 PM   #1

Inside lights

We have a 2008 Monaco Holiday Rambler. Can someone tell me which inside lights and plug use shore power and which use house battery. Trying to figure out what is running our house batteries down. New batteries and same thing is happening,
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2021, 09:42 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Your inside lights should all be 12V and run off the house batteries. Your 110V plug will run off of shore power. Some of your 110V plugs can run off of the inverter which is being supplied by the house batteries.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer View Post
We have a 2008 Monaco Holiday Rambler. Can someone tell me which inside lights and plug use shore power and which use house battery. Trying to figure out what is running our house batteries down. New batteries and same thing is happening,
As TonyDy said, lights are likely all run from the 12 volt side of life. The Monaco lights may be incandescent, florescent, or LED. If incandescent, replace with LED lights. Current draw will be 1/10 of incandescent. Florescent also use more power than LED.

Some absorption refrigerators use 12 volt power for cooling. All use a little 12 volt power for controls.

Inverters use significant 12 volt power. They use a little power even when nothing is plugged into them. They use a lot when an appliance is running on them.

Propane furnaces use considerable 12 volts for controls and fan.

Block heaters and holding tank heaters use lots of power and sometimes run on 12 volts.

Any appliance that runs after the generator is turned "off" is running on 12 volts, propane, or both.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 11:42 AM   #4

Not familiar with the Monaco. There may be some lighting that uses 120 volts but I would bet not. Most all RVs have 12 volt lighting. They get the 12 volts straight from the batteries when not on shore or generator power. The converter/charger will supply 12 volts and charge the batteries when plugged into shore power or when the genset is running.

There could be an inverter inside the coach that makes 120 volts when not on shore or genset.

OP, are any of the 120 volt outlets "hot" when not on shore or generator power? The outlet at the tv would be one to check. If so, then you have an inverter that uses 12 volts from the batteries to make 120 volts. That thing can draw the batteries down fairly quickly if left on. Would need to make sure it's turned off to cut the draw.

Entertainment system, antenna booster, tank heater left on, maybe? Other things that draw some power can be various detectors (propane, CO) but those don't pull very much and aren't normally an issue.
Old 09-04-2021, 04:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The big draw of 12 power when you have is parked and lights are off.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:17 PM   #6

Not familiar with your rig, but mine has an annoying radio back light in bedroom and a carbon monoxide detector that drain my batteries fairly easily when not being used. Battery disconnect will not turn off carbon detector either. Safety thing.
frank1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Are your battery terminals clean? Have you checked to see if they are being charged ? Did everything work when you parked and hooked up shore power? More info is required .
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:32 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
All of my lights are 12 volt, I did convert all the florescent to LED which uses less power.

Do you leave your inverter on, if so this will use a lot of power, even if it is off it will use power.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:10 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Your inside lights should all be 12V and run off the house batteries. Your 110V plug will run off of shore power. Some of your 110V plugs can run off of the inverter which is being supplied by the house batteries.
X2!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:24 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
If your inverter is on and your fridge runs off it, you will deplete your batteries pretty quickly. Either turn off your inverter (best), or at least manually set your fridge to run on propane. I forgot to set the fridge on propane last night (inverter stays on for the DWís CPAP) and my generator auto-start woke me up at 2 am.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:26 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
All your interior lights including the fluorescent lights are 12v and run off the house batteries.
If you are plugged into a 50A shore power outlet your Magnum inverter should be charging your house batteries, as long as the charge function on the inverter is turned on. This is controlled on the inside inverter remote panel.
If you are not plugged in the situation gets more complicated. You should be able to turn off the 12v master power switches back by the batteries. However, there are still systems on the coach that will continue to draw power.

Some of the big Monaco/Holiday Rambler coaches have one wall sconce light that is 120v.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 02:13 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only 120 volt light in an 08 HR is any light including the microwave, that is plugged into an outlet. Baselment lights run off 12volts also, and should be turned off when not in use.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:26 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Iím coming to the thread late but would make a couple of observations:

As stated, other than the light in the microwave, itís unlikely that any of the fixtures inside or outside a Coach of your vintage are 120VAC. Iíve heard of the odd wall sconce in a Monaco being AC-powered but I think that may have applied to older (mid-1990s and older) Dynasty models.

That said, Iím curious as to what your battery and charging setup is, and what makes you think the batteries are being run down, over what kind of use and timeframe? Most of these rigs need to have some daily charging activity when in use off-grid, either generator or solar. Increased load (residential refrigerator, propane furnace, lots of devices run off the inverter) can require more frequent charging.

If you are plugged in and not charging the house batteries, then that points to a different set of issues.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:26 PM   #14

Our 2005 HR and at least three others I have worked in/on have a 2000 watt, modified sine wave inverter. They serve two 15 and circuits. One runs the microwave and one runs the GFCI loop which is normally all outlets near water and the entertainment center. When on on shore power or generator the inverter has a pass through internally that feeds those lines, turns off inverting and the charger function kicks in.

All of our lights in and out are 12vdc and our gas/120vac frig is wired to a circuit which is only served by generator and/shore power. There is a single outlet behind the frig, which is served by the inverter and it allows the ice maker to run while fridge gets only 12 vdc for the brain and LP gas for heat.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights