RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #1

inspection items

I am purchasing a 2000 executive next week and other than sending the fluids off to get tested, what other specific items should I make sure get inspected? This will be my first "big rig" and I want to make sure a big ticket item is not missed during the inspection.
Thanks

gabelivingst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #2

I assume you have driven it? Does it handle okay? Does it pull to either side under way, or have any vibration in the steering wheel or shimmy action in the front end? Does the engine start easily and run smoothly without smoking? Assuming it has typical mileage for a rig of its age, the suspension deserves close scrutiny, especially the front end. Have it checked for alignment, condition of tie rods and tie rod ends, and condition of the king pins, and have it checked by someone who regularly works on motorhomes. If king pins are not kept properly lubed they will wear rapidly and can cause significant problems, and they are not cheap to replace. New king pins for my 38' Monaco cost nearly $2,000. Also check the shocks. If they are the original shocks they are no doubt in need of replacement and good shocks for a sizable coach will cost around $125 to $200 each, depending on brand and quality, plus installation labor. I assume you have tried all of the appliances; fridge, water heater, water pump, furnace, TVs, TV antenna/satellite dish/receiver, etc? If you haven't, do. Make sure they all work and not just for a couple of minutes, but for enough time that you are sure they are okay. Tires are another big dollar item on large coaches, costing in the neighborhood of $400 to $600 each, plus installation costs.

If you are not familiar with large coaches have it checked out by someone who is, and someone who is not associated with the seller.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #3

First, try every single thing on the coach and see that it works the way you expect it. This will take a couple of hours, so don't be in a hurry. You don't say were you live, but try and pick a hot day so you can see if the ACs all work - a thermometer to check the air coming out of them is a good idea. They are expensive and Dometic in particular are difficult to buy parts from, they tend to make you buy a new unit. Drive it for at least an hour, different road conditions, and up some long inclines if you have one accessible.

Second, most jurisdictions have the equivalent of an out of state or out of province inspection. It is a check of the vehicles safety and emission systems. It will run you about $400. They should check for leaks, loose or worn parts, tire condition, etc. Have it done by a heavy truck shop.

After that, remember the rule is that all RVs are a poorly built house on a truck chassis.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #4

If you have any maintenance back ground, put on your coveralls grab a flashlight and crawl under the motor home. When I am looking at a used vehicel I start at the front and come out the back. Look for loose/frayed wiring, lines that are rubbing, electrial connection and everything in general. As it has already been stated 'take your time'.
Good luck on your possible purchase.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #5

Thanks everyone for the replies, I will clarify. This rv is in another state. I have not driven it. I will before I buy, but I would like to get as much inspected before I fly out there. Is there anything specific for this year/model that I need them to check? I am fairly handy with a wrench and I will be checking everything when I get there.
Thanks
gabelivingst is offline   Reply With Quote