Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2019, 05:49 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Installing exterior Awning Lights (Boogey Lights) - how to run wires inside?

My DW wanted me to install some exterior lighting under the awning. so I ordered a "Boogey RGB-WW Light Kit" (after researching and reading the reviews). https://www.boogeylights.com/awning-light-kits-for-rvs/

So while I'm waiting for the light kit to be delivered, I'm starting to think about how to run the wires from these lights to the interior where the control module will be located.

Has anyone done a job like this?

I'm thinking I will need to drill a hole through the body (probably into a cabinet, where I will mount the control box). I don't think there is any other way.

The Boogey light strip will be mounted under the 12ft Girard awning on the passenger side front slide-out room. It uses 3M adhesive tape so that mounting will be easy. There are 5 wires coming off the LED light strip that need to go inside.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2019, 06:38 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I've also thought about installing awning lights. Our Girard awning control box is located in the upper cabinet just aft of the passenger seat. I worked on it last week programming a new remote control to the awning. There are 110v wires inside the control box.

I assume the wires go through the wall to the awning, but haven't got that far.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:59 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
On the Boogey Lights website, the installation example has the wiring going down the awning support arm (that coach has vertical tracks for awning support arms) with a hole drilled at the underside/bottom. On my Girard there are no support arms. So I would need to run the wires through at the top. I don't see a way to use the same hole the Girard uses for its wiring.

So I'll need to drill a new hole. The key will be to find a place "close to the end" of the LED strip (to keep power power as short as possible before it goes to inside). Hopefully that (hole) location will not be at a support beam or solid section of cabinetry. I'll need to take some careful measurements.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:31 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like you have it figured out Mike. When I converted my manual awning to 12v I ran the power in the location you're talking about.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:01 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I put my boogie lights just under the girard awning.
I drilled a hole through the wall into the front cabinet of the slide. I siliconed the rubber grommet when finished and have had no issues with water
1CoolZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:05 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Following.....[emoji106]
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:09 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
You have to decide if you want the light string on the outside wall just under the awning, or out at the end rail of the awning.
The Girard awning has arms, but they are in an X configuration.
Girard sells a light kit, but it's expensive. I'd like to see how they route the wires.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:34 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I drilled a 1/4" hole through the wall into the cabinet which has the AC outlet for the microwave, which provided the power. I sealed the outside hole with silicone sealant!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:06 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the replies.
I will be mounting the light strip to the body just under the awning. That location is supposed to be best to light up area under awing (like a picnic table). It is said that with the awning extended the light will "bathe" the area under it.

So I be drilling a hole through the body. Probably on the opposite end of where the Girard power goes in, since that end is closest to the kitchen sink area.

I'm doing a 12VDC install, but it would be a same for AC power (and Boogey Lights has a converter for anyone wanting to power off AC).

Since the awning is on the "slide out room" with the kitchen, I was thinking I could run the 12V power wire from the On/Off rocker switch up (already installed in my dash at the entry door) from underneath the coach where the kitchen sink drain line comes out of the grey tank. Then route it up to the cabinets above. Of course, its the routing it up to the cabinets above the kitchen counter that will be the tricky part.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:49 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
This is an old thread (I work slow) but just to update, I wanted to report that i have Boogie Lights installed.

I ended up drilling a hole through the upper cabinet back wall near where the Girard Awning power cord comes through. I could not use the same wire penetration for the Girard as it was too far back from the access point of the awning wiring to get at and I didn't want to chance damaging the awning wiring trying to enlarge that hole. Once the Awning power cable was located I was able to determine where to drill the new hole so it would be out of sight on the outside and still be inside the cabinet (where the power unit mounts).

The lights look great! I got the RGB (color changing) with the WW (white) LEDs so I can urn on all White - great for lighting up the picnic table for dinner, or just go with a color (red. blue, teal, etc.) for ambiance lighting.

I still have some interior wiring cleanup to do. But the outside is done and the lights work now.

Here's a couple of photos (I took more, but cant find them now).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beaver with Boogie Lights installed.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	269612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Girard Awning mechanism.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	269613  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside upper cabinet - showing Awning wiring.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	269614  
Old 12-16-2019, 10:24 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Thanks for the update, Mike, and congrats!

Steve
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:58 AM   #12

CountryB, I was checking Boogie Lights pricing on RGB kit, with remote, blue tooth and 12v transformer kit came to about $232.00, does that sound about right.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:54 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I went with the RGBWW kit ($199 to start) I did not go with the bluetooth connectivity - I just use the remote control it came with. I did buy two extra tubes of the "primer/promoter" which I used. Also, I'm connected to 12VDC (easier to run wires and more places to tap into the power) so I did not get the 120VAC transformer option. Note that the LED controller and lights are 12V.

So the price you stated sounds about right.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:55 PM   #14

CountryB, took another look and ordered the $199 kit, should do everything I need. I am thinking about drilling entry hole for wires in passenger overhead cabinet which will locate module in wind vane compartment which has 12v power.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, install, light, lights