Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2009, 08:33 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It keep bugging me that the water tank bay door is secured by a couple of screws instead of a normal easy to use lock.

Ideally I would prefer a lock/handle like the one on all other bay doors but this may be to difficult to install without more specialized tools than I have, so could the answer be the type of locking that I have on the door in front of the primary water filter and hydralics for the jacks? This is what I call a "Coca-Cola" key as this is the type of key that is used to open drinks machines. This looks a lot les complicated - maybe?

Does anyone know where to buy these and have anyone installed this type of lock? All information is appreciated.

I do appreciate that you could argue that this may give "intruders" easier access to this bay, but you could also argue that you would need a "Coca-Cola" key instead of just a screwdriver.

BTW - did you know that most fellow Diplomat owners have ready access to all your locked bay doors? Look at your key - if this reads 2001 you have the same key as most everyone else.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2009, 05:25 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
BTW - did you know that most fellow Diplomat owners have ready access to all your locked bay doors? Look at your key - if this reads 2001 you have the same key as most everyone else.
More bad news...Apparently all HR Endeavor's are in the club too; mine is a "2001" key also. Nice of Monaco to make us feel so secure.....
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:57 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I wil admit - I am not as freaked out knowing it is another Monaco Owner who has the same key as I would SOB owner!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:06 PM   #4

Huh? I must not be understanding your issue correctly. The only bay door that I have that doesn't have a handle and integrated lock is the propane door. All other doors take a key.
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Are you sure the "2001" is not just the number of the type of key blank? I had some extra keys made locally and they use the "2001" blank from the locksmith's rack but are physically different from the original Monaco keys. Only the grooves start out the same. Many different key combinations can be cut on that blank.

Bill
Old 01-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Mbl Cndo:
Huh? I must not be understanding your issue correctly. The only bay door that I have that doesn't have a handle and integrated lock is the propane door. All other doors take a key.
Henrik, just for you.. You may find what you need Here
Let me know what you find..
On Henriks coach as well as ours, there is a bay just behind the double cargo doors on the passenger side that has no handle or lock. It is held shut with brackets and screws. It has a full length hinge on the right side, but needs a handle or a lock of some sort if it is to be opened and closed.
We also are looking for a way to make this space usable and get to the passenger side of our holding tank bay.
What is really strange is that the Safari of the same year has the handle already built in so you can use it.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ron,

When you find a source of handles that match our rig, let me know. Also, where to have them installed. Good to see you and Mama at Q. It will be 81 in Blythe tomorrow.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Dip D...Where did u find yours?

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:53 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally posted by MonacoMama:
Dip D...Where did u find yours?

MM
Diplomat Don used latches (available at Home Depot, Lowe's, tec) attached to the underside of the frame which latched to the existing brackets on the door. He also secured them with padlocks with covers over the key way. He may have pictures in his IRV2 photo album. If more security is needed twist and grab latched could be substituted. Some provide keys. When I modded my door behind the curb side basement I decided there would be too much road grime, dirt, crud, etc for keyed locks to work very long unless you could find a way to cover the key way.

A good source of latches and catches can be found at SouthCo. This URL will take you to their catch and latch selection.

http://www.southco.com/product/default.aspx?hid=7315

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:31 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Guys and Gals,
As SacsTC said, the 07' Safari Cheetah that we have, has the latch. It's mighty handy. We store some light stuff on top of the tanks like the unused 3" sewer hose and some cleaning and rubber boots and such. It saved me some space in the regular storage area. It's really handy to see how much water that is in the fresh water tank while filling and afterwards to check the level. You can also slightly get to the back of the hot water tank, at least you can see behind there.
Okay, enough bragging for now. Do what DipDon did and latch it from the bottom. To try and get the door latch and make it fit in the door with latching mechanism would be too much of a hassle.

Later,
AKBrick
Old 01-31-2009, 04:50 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by SacsTC:

..... It has a full length hinge on the right side, but needs a handle or a lock of some sort if it is to be opened and closed.
Our tank maintenance access door as well as the fuel tank access doors are hinged at the top and swing up. A latch like Diplomat Don uses will be out of site at the bottom. Sounds like you have a bigger problem if the hinge is on the right hand side and the latch will need to be in the side of the coach.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
A good source of latches and catches can be found at SouthCo. This URL will take you to their catch and latch selection.

http://www.southco.com/product/default.aspx?hid=7315
Sixpack98 - I think the latches are indeed made by Southco. I have written to them asking for a product identification and if possible "an installation guide for dummies" I will let you know how I get on with Southco.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:51 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Wrote Southco's emergency 24/7 e-mail hotline on Tuesday, and today Friday I still haven't heard from them, so I decided to call them instead.

I have some good news and some bad news on this subject:

The good news :

1) It is a Southco product. Southco part number E3-99_373_50, Monaco part number 54717.
2) Having checked the installation if would appear that fitting new latches to the tank bay door should be so simple that even a Danish carpenter should be able to do it. All it takes are drilling 3 holes in the bay door - put the new latch in the hole and secure it with 2 screws from the back. The most difficult part is to drill the 3 holes (2 small ones and on large) with a normal cordless drill, without crumbling the front metal sheet on the bay door, but I am sure there are certain tricks that can be applied to prevent this -

The bad news :

1) It's a product that is made specifically for Monaco, and Southco will therefore not sell these to us.
2) In case Southco would sell these to us, we would have to open an account, and then buy for $5,000 each purchase (seems a bit excessive for a couple of latches).
3) Rang Monaco parts in Harrisburg and was told that they don,t have any latches in stock and they are not allowed to stock up.

The very kind parts manager is going to call Southco and ask if they would make an exception and consider selling a couple of latches directly. He will call me when he have an answer for me.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #14

Nor'easters Club
The same thing happened to me when I ruined an Aluminum wheel on my unit. The manufacturer, Accuride, informed me that my wheels were proprietary Monaco and they could not sell them to anyone but Monaco. After speaking with the Accuride factory rep, he was able to see to it that I got a wheel, but it took 2 months. So, good luck with trying to get the latch.
If I wake up and one of my latches is missing....hmmmm well...LOL
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote