Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2016, 11:07 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Installing sliding cargo trays-ribbed floor

Have a 2007 Monaco Knight 38PDQ. Want to install 2 sliding cargo trays in the basement. Basement floor ribbed fiberglass. Has anyone installed trays? What did you put on top of ribs? One side of tray rests on middle of a rib, other side is in-between ribs. I do not need to add any height because the tray clears the opening. HELP.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 05:07 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Sherry,
I used 1x 2 aluminum tube sections as spacers to get avove the ribs. I bolted through the spacers and through the angle iron braces that run forward and aft, as well as the flange of the angle framing for the bay door opening. This gave 4 points for each side of my trays. I also used a few fender washers as shims to keep the tops of the spacers in the same plane, because of a little bit of uneveness.

Roy
Old 10-05-2016, 05:16 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sherry, I just bought a 2006 38 PDQ and have the same basement situation. One of my first projects is going to be installing (2) 33" X 90" sliding trays. I thought about the ribbing and I think I'm going to put in 2 high quality plywood sheets over the ribbing and screw them down. Once they are screwed in, I can fasten the trays to them.

I saw Moryder trays on Amazon for $364 each, which is a bargain, but it says "usually ships in 1 to 2 months". Since my season is just about over, I may order them and save myself $200 over the nearest competitor.

Whatever you decide, please let us know and post pics. Good luck!
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:55 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Sherry, I just bought a 2006 38 PDQ and have the same basement situation. One of my first projects is going to be installing (2) 33" X 90" sliding trays. I thought about the ribbing and I think I'm going to put in 2 high quality plywood sheets over the ribbing and screw them down. Once they are screwed in, I can fasten the trays to them.

I saw Moryder trays on Amazon for $364 each, which is a bargain, but it says "usually ships in 1 to 2 months". Since my season is just about over, I may order them and save myself $200 over the nearest competitor.

Whatever you decide, please let us know and post pics. Good luck!
Steve,
I bought my Morryde locking sliding cargo trays 33x90 from rvupgrades.com for $411.23 each and free shipping. Got them in 2 days in Ft. Worth TX from Elkhart IN. I am looking at 1" x 1/8" x 36" piece of steel from Home Depot. Less weight than plywood and gives me something solid to bolt through. I'll put the flat bar across the ribs at each end and in the middle and bolt through with washers and lock nuts. that gives me 6 bolts per tray. don't think they will go any where. That way it is barely above the ribs and gives me more height. the sliding trays will still be about 1/2" above the door sill.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:25 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mine came with pressure treated wood slats between the ribs. The trays were mounted to those.

2014 Winnebago Tour GD 42ft
cte202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:07 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cte202 View Post
Mine came with pressure treated wood slats between the ribs. The trays were mounted to those.
Were the slats glued down?
Old 10-08-2016, 06:29 AM   #7

I just put 1 x 2 lumber strips under the slide frame and mounted it where the side rails on the tray were between ribs on the floor. Used self drilling sheet metal screws through the tray rails through the wood into the tray itself. Works great.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:59 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDoran View Post
Were the slats glued down?
No. Each one under the frame was bolted thru at each end. Other wise the frame rail sits on the board.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:08 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I tried inserting pictures, can't quite figure that out......

Old 10-08-2016, 12:43 PM   #10

Why not buy the size that fits between the ribs and sits flat on the floor? Both of mine do
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:46 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Trying the picture thing again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0260.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	141078   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0261.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	141079  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0265.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	141080  

Old 10-10-2016, 07:19 AM   #12

I too used wood stops on top of the fiberglass floor, and then used nuts, washers and bolts to fasten it to the floor. I tried the plywood down first, but the tray rode unnecessarily high in the bay. It has been there for 2 years and is solid. I too went with a 32-33" wide tray so that my long objects (broom, ...) had a stationary place for storage since the basement bay was 40+".
Philliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:48 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrob View Post
Why not buy the size that fits between the ribs and sits flat on the floor? Both of mine do
the ribs are about 11" apart from side to side. You would still need to use something in-between the ribs.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:55 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliec View Post
I too used wood stops on top of the fiberglass floor, and then used nuts, washers and bolts to fasten it to the floor. I tried the plywood down first, but the tray rode unnecessarily high in the bay. It has been there for 2 years and is solid. I too went with a 32-33" wide tray so that my long objects (broom, ...) had a stationary place for storage since the basement bay was 40+".
First DH used 2x4 on top of ribs, bolted wood down, then screwed tray to wood. WAY TOO high.

New method of installation. Getting 1.5" x 1/8" steel bar. They will be welded at each end and the middle. Then through the steel bars he will use the same 2 bolt holes he used for the wood. Tray will now not sit too high and it will not move

Thank you everyone for your input, It is very much appreciated.

Tags
install