Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
JimM68 what does this mean "I mustr be still getting over the F53"??? Our Cayman 2011 is short between the wheels. Total length about 36 plus mirrors etc. Without Sway Bars it felt like I was driving an accordion leaning around the curves. Especially taking freeway on ramps at the posted speeds. Of course all of us haven't driven an "accordion", but I think you get my drift. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
crah......I'm 37.7 bumper to bumper. I have the same wheelbase. I also have the small tires on mine.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
If possible, use a heating torch to heat problem nuts, have your impact wrench handy.
Good luck, it will be worth the effort.
Rebel
rebelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I thought I had big tires (275 80R 22.5) Diplomat Don, but the new 2012 Knights same floor plan etc. have 295 80R 22.5. deSanford
Old 03-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #19

Well I now ran into a problem on the rear sway bars. Looks like I may have to call Scott at source in the morning. The instructions are exactly the same as the instructions for a diplomat. Actually it states diplomat right on the cover. I drilled all the holes and got the sway bar up like the picture shows in the instructions. The two end bars are in the concave position instead of convex. The problem is that the final position of the bar doesn't reach the shackle. It is about 4-5 inches away. This leads me to a couple of conclusions and questions. Possibly the bar needs to be flipped and the end pieces need to be convex or bent down. This does not look like the picture but may work. The bar could possibly be made wrong or wrong ones sent. The box says Windsor which should match my chassis. I did send source pictures of my undercarriage. Another odd item was that the shackle was loose on the frame with the single long bolt. Is that normal? Insight from those that have installed their own appreciated.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #20
YC1

Oooh, can't wait. My bars should be here this week. I already did the fan months ago and what a difference in sound and performance that made. I just added a computer chip and have even more power. I installed the Safe-T-Plus months ago and built my own trim kit. After setting my ride height the RV really handles well but I want even better handling. Once this is done the wife is getting driving lessons. Guess I will get those bolts soaking. When I installed the steering stabilizer I took the RV over to my oil change mechanic and had them remove the nut.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #21

crah, I had to tighten the long bolts very tight to get the bracket to clamp the frame.
I didn't have any problems with the bars reaching the hangers on my Diplomat. My bar is installed just as it's shown in the instructions (a smile vs a frown). I'm sure Source can help you but some pictures would be helpful for anybody trying to troubleshoot this.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckc779 View Post
crah, I had to tighten the long bolts very tight to get the bracket to clamp the frame.
I didn't have any problems with the bars reaching the hangers on my Diplomat. My bar is installed just as it's shown in the instructions (a smile vs a frown). I'm sure Source can help you but some pictures would be helpful for anybody trying to troubleshoot this.
Thanks for the insight on the bracket to the frame (tighten very tight). Your explanation of smile vs. frown is much better. I have it in the smile position. I don't have any pictures of the final as I was so frustrated when the shackle connection was so short. I will try to take some pictures tomorrow. (the pictures I meant previously was that I sent Source pictures of my Chassis before I placed my order).
Old 03-18-2012, 11:42 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
If you did get the wrong sway bar or it is some other problem one call to Source (Scott) and he will see that it will be taken care of. deSanford Life is always full of challenges.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford
If you did get the wrong sway bar or it is some other problem one call to Source (Scott) and he will see that it will be taken care of. deSanford Life is always full of challenges.
I have no doubts. Scott is great to do business with. I hope for sakes I just made some error. I was so tired that I didn't have much energy to figure out what was wrong.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:15 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by crah View Post
Don

One more observation. I don't remember I you had the away bars last May but the winds were crazy on memorial day weekend if you recall. Not sure if that can give you more comparison. Im hoping these sway bars really help with the wind.
crah,

I am one of the first too test the sway bars on the RR8R.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/repo...sis-86908.html

I already had the Koni shocks and the Blue Ox TruCenter but was not happy with the way the coach responded to side winds. The air bag system is to slow and I was looking for something that would help in rapidly changing side winds. I could only find one person who had tried the sway bars on the RR8R and most folks were telling me they would not help. I decided to take a chance and have had a big grin on my face ever since. Yes, they will help with the wind.

Good luck with the install,

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:03 AM   #26

With any impact it takes more power to undo a fastener than it does to do it up. The torque ratings are usually for installation not removal. My shop air runs @ 150 and that helps as well. Unless your impact is an Ingersoll or a Chicago Pneumatic( or an equivalent) then the ratings are optimistic! Chinese Freight units fall in the last category!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I've had IPD also known as Roadmaster Sway Bars on motorhomes for the last 25 years, and yes they do work GREAT. deSanford
Old 03-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
crah....."jckc" said it best.....a smile on the bar. Are the brackets too far forward on the coach or is the bar not dropping down low enough to reach them in a vertical issue. Since you said you were getting tired, I'm going to ask some silly questions....You have the brackets attached where they're extending above the frame?.....the coach isn't extended too high on the levelers? Maybe the Scepter has a longer frame spread on the rear assembly.

Frame bolt....I tightened the heck out of mine, pinching the plates to the frame when I first installed. When I did my chassis service a couple of months later, the right rear was loose. My suggestion would be to check them after you get a few thousand miles on them.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote