Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #1

Installing Source engineering sway bars

Well I got the sway bars from source engineering and all pumped to get them in. Ran into a problem right away with removing the large axle nuts an bolts for the front pair. Silly me tried using an impact wrench with 425 ft pounds and the nut didn't budge. I sprayed pb blaster 30 minutes prior. Probably should have done that last night. Went and bought a 700 ft pound impact wrench and still no luck. Tried a 2 ft breaker bar and the bar looked like it was ready to snap. Maybe it will make a difference with the pb sitting overnight. Any suggestion? I'd jump to the rears but now I'm getting rained out.

I'm eager to try these out.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #2

One more note. I am using only a 6 gallon compressor which is pretty small. The wrench only requires 90 psi and this compressor goes to 120. It cycles fast of course. I figures for just one nut the 6 gallon should be sufficient but maybe not. All I'm trying to do is break loose the nut.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Nothing good comes easy I guess that is true. You will enjoy the results when the sway bars are installed. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The impact wrench should break em loose, but those are big bolts and they are tight, and they have been sitting down there in the weather for a long time.

Shaking them with the impact is the answer, if you just lean on em with a breaker bar and a pipe, you'll just break something.

PB blaster is the answer too.
and time.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Try the coach air with your gun. I used my 1/2" impact on mine and they broke loose right away. (I do have a large compressor)

When I did the install, I had the coach aired up with the jacks down for a little extra height. I sat on my butt under the front end and had room to work. The upper brackets have to be fished around some wiring harnesses. Just push them to the side.

On the rear sway bar, I had to remove a wiring harness clamp on the left rear side to get some harnesses out of the way. I had to take the passenger side end of the sway bar and point it toward the passenger side and fish it up through the harness where I removed the clamp on the driver's side. You then twist it toward the front and keep fishing it to where it's suppose to be. It's heavy and took some manuevering.

Good Luck
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:00 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
You add the sway bars and some good shocks to the RR8R and you have one of the BEST riding chassis for less then a million dollars. deSanford PS I recommend the Safe T Plus with the Henderson's "trimmer".
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #7

Thanks Jim and don. I let it soak overnight with pb. I never thought about using the coach air either. That cold weather we just got may put a damper on this project until next weekend. I will follow up with a report. Dsanford the better handling is exactly what I'm after.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #8

I'm just finishing the installation on mine this weekend. It's all done except setting the coach at ride height to adjust and tighten the rear hangers. I needed a long breaker bar (5 ft) and my legs pushing against the frame to break the front axle bolts loose.

I had similar issues with wiring that Don had. It wasn't too bad except for one metal cable clamp on the front that was in the way and very hard to get to. It was on the drivers side and interfered with sliding the hanger bracket all the way out. I had to remove it for a good alignment between the hanger and sway bar. Unfortunately it was held on with a self taping screw that was put in during assembly of the coach and was no longer accessible. The only way to remove it was to very carefully cut the metal strap with a Dremel (don't hit the wires), move the harness out of the way and then turn the screw out with very short wrench strokes. I could only rotate the wrench about an 1/8 of a turn and had to flip it with each turn. It took a long time and a few rest stops but I finally got it out. I might have been able to bend the clamp out of the way once the cable bundle was out but I chose to remove it.

On the back, I had to cut several nylon cable ties and remove one bolted cable clamp to move the wires out of the way. It's a bit of a puzzle getting the bar into position and to tell the truth, I'm not sure what the final move was but it's in!

Oh, BTW, if you have the steering stabilizer too, it mounts with one of the axle bolts you remove for the sway bar so hold off on putting that bolt back in.

Good luck.

I'm anxious to see how it all works!
jckc779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #9

Thanks for the tips. A 5 ft cheater bar wow. Did you try an impact wrench at all prior to the bar? Please do provide feedback on the drive results. Ive heard all great results on the longer coaches and good but not great results on the shorter monacos. I have the shorter coach with a shorter wheel base of 216 inches. Hope to see some big improvements.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
crah......We just drove through NM a couple of weeks ago with the worse winds I've ever encountered. Now that I think back, the coach was really tossed about, but not like it would have been in the past.

My coach is the same length as yours. It will now corner so sharp that it throws things out of the cabinets. I think the difference between the longer coaches and the shorter ones is the effect of passing trucks. Most say they don't feel them at all. Its weird, I feel some and some I don't. It must be how they're pushing the air.

The biggest surprise and unexpected result was the softening of the ride in the front end. The sway bars are distributing the rough roads across the axle to both sides, causing a smoother ride.

We go to Yosemite every year at Thanksgiving and it was always a workout driving into the park on the steep twisty road (Hwy 41) before you reach the valley. This year I had the new sway bars and had added the Source Engine fan. What a difference. I locked the trans into 4th and drove through the park like I was in an SUV. Plenty of quick power and easy handling.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #11

Thanks don. Not sure how my coach will react compared to yours. My wheel base is shorter than yours. I believe your wheelbase is is 228 and mine is at 216. Also my overall length says 36.6 in the specs but bumper to bumper it is actually 37.5. I am eager to see how well these perform.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #12

Don

One more observation. I don't remember I you had the away bars last May but the winds were crazy on memorial day weekend if you recall. Not sure if that can give you more comparison. Im hoping these sway bars really help with the wind.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, even after 16k miles last year (31k total), I mustr be still getting over the F53. My 08 knight handles like it's on railroad tracks, monroe shocks and all. I just can't imagine it any better.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #14

Yes, my air impact didn't budge it.