Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2014, 12:10 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Installing VMSpc using inexpensive Windows Tablet

I am sure all you VMSpc users know that VMSpc only runs on Windows. I have been looking for an App for my Andorid tablet for some time now and I see that there is finally something out there, but from the screen shots I saw, I didn’t think it would be too useful while driving. I also saw the article on the Silverleaf web site about using a Microsoft Surface Pro to run and display VMSpc, but I don’t want to spend $1000 for a tablet. My current setup is a Sony Vaio Laptop with a Toshiba Dynadock feeding a 7” VGA monitor; the main screen is for navigation. But, the Sony is old, running XP and VERY slow and tired. Plus it’s big and heavy and I have no really good way to secure it. Further, lately I have been using my 10” Toshiba Android tablet for navigation so the Sony was only doing VMSpc and was a pain. And, the 7 inch display wasn’t that bright.

Well, my friends at Dell have solved the problem. Santa was nice enough to bring me a Dell Venue 8 Pro. It runs a full implementation of Windows 8.1. It has 32 GB of system storage,( i.e. hard drive) and can accept up to a 32 GB microSD card. (Sells for about $300)

I installed VMSpc on the tablet with no problem. BUT, there are issues. The Dell tablet only has ONE USB port, and it is used to power the tablet. If you want to use USB devices with it, you can’t externally power it. Not a good thing when running for many hours driving with the display at full brightness to see in the daylight. So my solution was to get a serial (RS-232) to Bluetooth adapter and send the serial data from the JIB to the tablet over Bluetooth. *

I found an adapter on eBay for about $20. (There’s lots of them for lots more, but look for the $20 one) It came pretty quickly for coming from China, and when I opened the package, there was the adapter and a battery and nothing else. I went to their web site and it’s in Chinese and even with the Google translation I could find no documentation. But, not to be defeated so easily, I started playing around, and I found that if you just turn it on in Slave mode it will be ready to connect. (Master mode means it is a host, slave mode means it is a client of your computer) I went into the “printers and devices” menu and searched for new devices. Windows found the device (called BOLUTEK in my case) and installed the drivers. It creates a COM: port in the system. (you can find it in device manager) Then when you run VMSpc all you have to do is select the same com port and it connects, and voila you have the traditional VMSpc display.

The tablet is powered by a cigarette lighter USB charger, and the Bluetooth adapter is powered the same way. You need to provide your own USB charging/power cable for the Bluetooth, it does not come one. Also, I needed to use a “Null Modem” adapter with it as well. I could have rewired the cable, but I had the null modem adapter, so I used it. (Available at Radio Shack)

I ordered a RAM mount for an 8” tablet and installed it where the old 7” VGA monitor had been. It works really well and doesn't vibrate much. I am taking a 500 mile trip in a few days, so I can then report back on how it works on-the-road.

Dell Venue ProTablet: Dell Venue 8 Pro Windows 8.1 HD Tablet Details | Dell

Serial to Bluetooth adapter: Bluetooth Embedded to RS232 Serial Adapter Communication Module Mini USB | eBay

RAM Mount:
Tablet Base: Amazon.com : RAM TAB-TITETM Universal Clamping Cradle for the iPad mini WITH CASE, SKIN OR SLEEVE : Gps Vehicle Mounts : Computers & Accessories

Base mount:
Amazon.com: RAM Mounting Systems RAM-B-138U Double Ball Flat Surface Mount: GPS & Navigation

This item may vary depending on your mounting situation.

*There may be a power/data cable out there, but I couldn’t find one, and Dell doesn’t sell one. The guy I talked to at Dell didn’t know if they were going to come out with one….
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4009.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	54794   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4013.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	54795  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Netbook

I am running VMSpc and DeLorme Street Atlas on an Acer netbook. It sits on the dash just to the right of the left mirror. I only look at a few of the items VMS displays - engine temp, trans temp, engine load, trans gear selected, Cruise (on, off, speed), and speed.

The Acer is old running XP. Everything works well and is pretty much in line of sight, but seems pretty bright at night. But I don't drive much at night anymore so it's not a problem.

Tom
tompn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:15 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We use an Acer tablet with detachable keyboard. I made a custom mount and leave it attached to the dash and power it with the AC adapter. Since the inverter runs 24/7 that works fine. One thing we find convenient is using the tablet to store two PDF files with a departure and arrival check list. It is easy to switch between the VMSpc screen and the check lists. The check list are easily updated via WiFi from our main computer.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:40 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
But, the Sony is old, running XP and VERY slow and tired.
I use a 15" old OS ME Sony laptop for VMSpc(Serial Plug model). It sits on the dash and VMSpc is the only thing it is used for.
With it on the dash just to the right of the driver I don't even have to look down at the dash speedometer for my speed.

Bigger allows for more gauges that are easy to see at a quick glance.

Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
NICE!

A very clean solution. I have also been having the same struggle as you, except I found and was disappointed in the iPad app. I want to set up VMSpc in my rig, but I don't want to set up a big laptop on my dash. I went so far as getting a little Acer NetBook for free using credit card reward points, and was going to use that (even with the bulk of the keyboard) but for some reason I couldn't come up with a good screen layout -- every VMSpc display object had a big thick border on it which looks ugly and wastes a lot of space.

I thought about hiding an old laptop under the dash and using a remote monitor, but that's also a clunky solution. I had wondered if a Windows tablet would work well, and if it would have the same display issues as the failed Acer attempt, and now I have my answer. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepTJ5 View Post
*There may be a power/data cable out there, but I couldn’t find one, and Dell doesn’t sell one. The guy I talked to at Dell didn’t know if they were going to come out with one….
Not necessarily for the faint of heart, but I bet a power/data cable could be made by splicing together two cables: take the black and red power wires from the cable going to the power adapter, and the other two data wires from the cable going to the VMSpc JIB. Of course, care and testing would have to be done to make sure it isn't going to burn anything up the first time you plug it in. It could work, but I've not tried it and I'm not responsible if someone tries this and damages either the tablet, JIB, or charger. Try this at your own risk.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
JeepTJ5,

An excellent write-up and explanation of overcoming obstacles to achieve your goals.

I chose a Dell 10 inch Notebook dedicated to the SilverLeaf VMSpc. My daily PC is a 16 inch Sony Vaio which is way too big for what I wanted at my dash.

Here are a few photos of my installation just to compare.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VMSpc-04.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	55000   Click image for larger version

Name:	VMSpc-08.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	55001  

Name:	VMSpc-11.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	55002   Click image for larger version

Name:	VMSpc-13.JPG
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	55003  

Name:	VMSpc-15.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	55004   Click image for larger version

Name:	VMSpc-01.JPG
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	55005  

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:50 PM   #7

SilverLeaf does have a new Bluetooth JIB and it runs on any Android device. BUT the software is probably Beta. No real gauges just printed data like the ScanGauge. I am hoping that they will develop a full VMSPC for Android. Some great ideas in this thread!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:03 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
OK, I thought I was reasonably good at navigating web sites and using search engines. But I've met my match. I can find and download the software, and I can find lots of information about the VMSpc JIB, but not where to actually buy it!

The ONLY source I've found so far is RVUpgrades.com. They seem to have three versions, all for $306.25: VMSPC6 for 6-pin engine connectors, VMPSC9 for 9-pin connectors, and VMSPC20 for who knows what?

Are there other sources? Where can one get their hands on the Bluetooth or WiFi version?
Old 01-31-2014, 03:39 PM   #9

I bought mine from silverleaf directly, why not give them a call and I have no doubt they should be able to answer your questions
http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/node/6
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:02 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks!

In this day and age, you'd think they would make it a little more obvious how to buy it. If not a full-blown e-commerce site, at least have a "how to buy" link. (Or even just list prices somewhere with a note to call to place an order!)

I understand how they want you to go through one of their "Service and Installation" providers for the full-blown systems. But a plug-and-play cable aimed at the skilled DIYer should be a little easier to get. And they probably wonder why they're not selling as many sales as they would like...
Old 01-31-2014, 04:34 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Adam,

You have found the cheapest place to buy VMSpc interface cables. That's where I purchased mine back in 2010.

Regarding the Bluetooth connection, you would have to call Silverleaf and talk to their technical guy. It may be so new that it is still in development.

Essentially all you are doing is eliminating the USB cable from the adapter box that plugs into the PC. You still need the adapter box that plugs into either a 6 or 9 pin connector located under your dash.

It's possibly that they have simply attached a Bluetooth transmitter to the adapter box where the USB cable would come from and the Bluetooth in your PC would be the receiver.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:12 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Adam,

You have found the cheapest place to buy VMSpc interface cables. That's where I purchased mine back in 2010.......

It's possibly that they have simply attached a Bluetooth transmitter to the adapter box where the USB cable would come from and the Bluetooth in your PC would be the receiver.
Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard,

We also purchased ours from RVupgrades. Since no one manufactures any type of PC with the old RS-232 Com Ports anymore, I believe VMSpc may have done just what you imply and are providing a Bluetooth adapter that gives customers an option beside direct USB. Most laptops now have built in Bluetooth.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #13

I do not think Silverleaf make a Bluetooth unit that will work with a PC. AFAIK the new Bluetooth unit works with Android devices. But the VMSPC has had a USB connector for some time. Their web site is not very good so as suggested just call them for the real skinny.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:53 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
I do not think Silverleaf make a Bluetooth unit that will work with a PC. AFAIK the new Bluetooth unit works with Android devices.
Not just Android, but also iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, etc.)

But Bluetooth is Bluetooth - unless it uses some custom profile, it should work with pretty much any Bluetooth capable host out there. In this case, I would be very surprised if their unit used anything other than the standard Bluetooth serial device profile, which is pretty much universal.

But we're not really talking about a PC here, we're talking about using it with a tablet.

And why not just use it with an Android or iOS tablet? Because the tablet software is pretty lame, compared to the Windows software. That's why the notion of the full Windows version running on a reasonably priced Windows tablet is so appealing.

I was literally minutes away from giving up on VMSpc and ordering a ScanGauge-D. Then this thread got started and it has renewed my desire for a VMSpc setup. (Even through it is significantly more expensive! )

Tags
install, vmspc, windows tablet