Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2018, 08:14 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Inteletec electrical short

Has anyone had this happen to you?

I am in Arizona where its dry and lots of static electricity. I touched the key pad to turn on off the bedroom lights and got a static shock. All of the lights went out on the key pad but the bedroom lights and vanity lights stayed on. The key pad went dead. No buttons turn on or off the lights.

I have pulled and inspected fuses, unplugged the CPU and re-plugged it in. Pulled the connector to the four button light switch and unplugged and re-plugged that back all with no luck on trying to reboot that keypad.

Any ideas how to fix or did I short out the keypad with my static electrical charge? If so is it possible to get a new keypad someplace?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2018, 08:32 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The main 5 amp fuse. Double check or replace it.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:11 AM   #3
R&J

Monaco Owners Club
Inteletec electrical short

Steve try unplugging the the power to the coach, at the same time disconnect the + cables from the house and chassis batteries leave disconnect for a one minute or more. At this point u have nothing to lose.
Nothing but rain up here in the Northwest, moss growing under your feet as you walk. ☔️[emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]
R&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:46 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer Guy View Post
Has anyone had this happen to you?

I am in Arizona where its dry and lots of static electricity. I touched the key pad to turn on off the bedroom lights and got a static shock. All of the lights went out on the key pad but the bedroom lights and vanity lights stayed on. The key pad went dead. No buttons turn on or off the lights.

I have pulled and inspected fuses, unplugged the CPU and re-plugged it in. Pulled the connector to the four button light switch and unplugged and re-plugged that back all with no luck on trying to reboot that keypad.

Any ideas how to fix or did I short out the keypad with my static electrical charge? If so is it possible to get a new keypad someplace?

Thanks
Golfer Guy,

A friend of mine is very knowledgeable of the Inteletec Systems and may be able to help. I will send you a private message with his email.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:37 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Golfer guy,
Hope some of the trouble shooting ideas mentioned will get you going.

I've had an on going intellitec issue and finally replaced the whole computer board. It was a 'plug and play' and was under $350 including shipping from M&M. They will help trouble shoot as well before they will suggest replacement.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:53 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
M&M Electronics does provide support for Intellitec.

I called them when my EMS quit working, help me troubleshoot and confirmed it was bad. Bought a new system from them. Try giving them a call if none of the previous suggestions fix your problem

https://www.mmrvelectronics.com/visit_us
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:03 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
While it is possible a RESET may fix it (Seen it work many times on other computer systems) it is also possible FRIED TO A CRACKLY CRUNCH applies.

HUMIDITY, that is the preventive #1. Humidify the RV to reduce static

Preventive two. Install a metal plate.. You can use an outlet box o er from Lowes or Home depot. if you like (Box optional) next to the unit. Run a single GROUND wire to the 12 volt ground in the RV (chassis ground) TOUCH that plate before touching the control panel.. Do this EVERY time you touch the control panel.

Better yet put a metal flap over the panel and ground the flap.
DO NOT ground to the intelletec leads but go straight to chassis or the 12 volt distribution panel. chassis is best.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:39 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
A follow up here everyone. In the end I sent by lights switch pad circuit board to Chris at M&M Electronics back in Ohio. After several emails and phone calls Chris was able to get all the necessary dip switch settings and photos of the rest of the info needed to reprogram a new switch pad. Luckily there were some left in inventory. My old switch pad was fried. Also was able to get a couple of the plastic push button plates that were breaking on some of the high volume touch pads around the coach.

Chis was great to work with and I would not hesitate to call him for help in the future. He spent a lot of time with me on this repair and only charged me $95 programing and then the cost of the new circuit board pad, ($90 + shipping)

Moral of the story is be careful with the static electricity around your electronics
Old 06-02-2018, 09:04 PM   #9

If this is a common problem, it is a very poorly designed system. Apparently there was insufficient validation testing. Automotive electronics are subjected to extensive static discharge tests with a special gun that injects thousands of volts into anything a person can touch. The components should be designed to withstand the amount of static voltage a human can inject in a dry climate, throughout the products lifetime. I have designed modules and redesigned after failed validation tests and have been present many times during the tests. If might be worth a call to the manufacturer to see if they will cover it. Providing a grounding plate to touch first will help, but it shouldn’t be necessary with proper design. A few small disc capacitors at critical places should correct the susceptibility.
Mudsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:01 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Mud, it's just Golfer Guy. He needs to get grounded, and probably needs new shock absorbers. Aren’t they supposed to cut down on the static electricity?

My coach is 11 years old this month and all my Intellitec switches are doing just fine. And I live in AZ. Same with William Willard. I’ve never been zapped in my coach with static electricity. But, I have changed my shock absorbers 3 times in 70,000 miles.

There might have been some other issue going on, like type of carpet or some other anomaly. It sure doesn’t make sense.

Maybe Steve will chime back in here, letting us if Chris also thinks it was static electricity and if he thinks we need to drag a chain behind us when we enter the motorhome .

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:19 AM   #11

Shock absorbers deal with mechanical shocks. Static electricity is generated in dry conditions by simply walking across the carpet sometimes. The voltage is a function of the materials involved. Shoe materials, fabrics, etc. can be selected to enhance or suppress it. Capacitors are used to absorb the charge in static electricity when it is injected into a circuit.

My 2 year old daughter used to have a Little Tykes plastic slide for use indoors. It was maybe 30 inches high and 36 inches long. She would slide down and at the end her hair would stand on end. Her slacks rubbing on the plastic ramp built up a healthy charge. It was harmless to her, but I drew a huge spark when I touched her nose.
Mudsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:34 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
R&J --- Rich, will you post a picture of rain -- Happycarz & I have forgot what it looks like -- William Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:34 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
So, maybe dragging around a chain would be better than the shock absorbers, since you don’t think they will work. Or, maybe a grounding cuff like when workin on electronics would work. How long would the grounding lead have to be in order to move around the coach freely? Hey Steve, how long would you need the lead to be?

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:38 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Harry, its a 38" coach so I don't need anymore than that. Really only move from my recliner to the coffee maker anyway.

I did put new carpet in there last summer. I know when I blew that circuit it shot a pretty good blue spark from me to the switch. Freaky isn't it!

My new nick name is going to be Sparky.

Chris had not heard of this happening before. I'm hopeful it doesn't happen again that's for sure.

Tags
electric, electrical