Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2021, 03:28 PM   #1

Intellitec 73-00824 B.I.R.D schematics..

Would anyone have the schematics for the BIRD board? I seem to have a "fault" in the board and trying to pinpoint.

It is a 2002 Intellitec 73-00824 BCC?BIRD PCB. Of course, the board is no longer available so am attempting a fix.

Any suggestions?
rangerboat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2021, 08:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Here is the schematic from a 2005 Signature.

My Battery Disconnect circuit is bad. It looks like the PIC processor is not functioning correctly. I don’t use the BIRD part of it as I replaced the Big Boy with an Ml-ACR.

I am working on a solution.

Paul
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0076.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	343213
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:54 PM   #3

Swapping to a blue seas arc is much better in the long run. Gets rid of the big boy and the bird, as well as giving you switch control, manual control and automatic. No more buzzing from the big boy, no more cleaning the contacts.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 05:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhittle View Post
Here is the schematic from a 2005 Signature.

My Battery Disconnect circuit is bad. It looks like the PIC processor is not functioning correctly. I don’t use the BIRD part of it as I replaced the Big Boy with an Ml-ACR.

I am working on a solution.

Paul
Attachment 343213
I'm having issues with the house batteries not charging, seems to be the bird. Do you have more information about the change over you did on your coach? Just recently got this 04'HR navigator and have been chasing electrical issues right out of the gate. Thanks, Steve
SteveNShae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 05:24 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
M and M electronics in Ohio will repair it, I think.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:01 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
You should do a search for what it might take to install a Bluesea ML-ACR which will combine both the house and chassis batteries if there is a charging source present (alternator, shore, generator).

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...%2C1486&sr=8-1
The batter boost switch on the dash is replaced by the one shown in the above link. It is three position, ON/OFF/Automatic.

Once installed it is will keep both sets of batteries charged.

One of the best upgrades I did.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:27 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Here is my thread on installing the ML-ACR.

Replace Big Boy with Blue Sea ML-ACR
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/replace-big-boy-with-blue-sea-ml-acr-468617.html

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:59 AM   #8
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNShae View Post
I'm having issues with the house batteries not charging, seems to be the bird. Do you have more information about the change over you did on your coach? Just recently got this 04'HR navigator and have been chasing electrical issues right out of the gate. Thanks, Steve
Welcome to the forum: First post and immediate responses. Glad you are here.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:57 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The Blue Sea ML-ACR is certainly the best solution.
But, most of the time when the batteries are not connecting it's the Intellitec Big Boy isolation relay in the rear electrical bay next to the engine. The contacts get carbon buildup and stop conducting.
It's fairly easy to take the Big Boy apart and clean the copper contacts. Attached are the instructions courtesy of Mike Canter.

You can also purchase a new Intellitec Big Boy relay on eBay and then rebuild your original for a spare.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Boy battery Isolation relay.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	365612  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Big Boy Relay rebuild instructions.pdf (566.1 KB, 32 views)
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 08:32 PM   #10

Thanks for all the great input and advice, probably going to cleanup the big boy contacts to get it working sooner than later. Long term replace with the Blue Sea seems like a cost effective and best solution.
Old 05-23-2022, 01:51 PM   #11

I just cleaned the contacts ony Big Boy relay. It is my spare. Hard to believe it was that corroded. The relay that is installed is about 7 years old. It is probably in the same bad condition. But the symptoms seem strange. When on shore or genset all the batteries get charged. Bt when driving down the road the chassis batteries get charged. But the Alladin shows the house batteries discharging around 35 amps. Sometimes after a few hours it lessens to 20 amps. I have turned off the house fridge and it changes only a few amps. There is nothing in the house side drawing anything. Could the BigBoy be causing that excessive draw. I still have to test the cleaned up relay and will install.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 02:00 PM   #12
YC1

The relay cannot draw that much current. Something tells me your inverter is online and running something. Turn it off to see if current drops. If it does, find the culprit that is on the inverter circuit that is eating that much current.

That translates to approximately 3-5 amps AC. I have heard of block heaters being plugged into inverter circuits so think outside the box.

The relay is a heavy draw DC wise but probably runs about 2.5 amps and probably less if you have the device that turns the power into pulses and thus reduces the power required to keep it locked on.

Now for the other problem. Often one problem steers you to another or root cause. If you alternator was charging the house batteries you probably would never have noticed the heavy draw. The 35 amps is easily kept up by the alternator.

The issue here is IF you have a true bi-directional setup, then the part that senses the alternator charge is not working correctly.

Finding out exactly what module or device your setup uses will make diagnosis quite easy.

It could be as simple as a connection that needs to be exercised do to invisible corrosion build up on the contact surfaces. The solenoid combining the batteries is apparently running based on your information.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird, intellitec, schematics