Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Intellitec EMS Problem

I know this subject has been beat to death but now I guess it's my turn.

My coach is an 07 Endeavor with the Intellitec 50 Amp model 750 Smart EMS controller and monitor panel.

We've only had the coach since September so I don't know if there was a problem before we bought it, but there sure is now. The original owner says he never had a problem, and we didn't either the first few times we used it.

We were staying in an RV park in Palm Springs Cal. a few weeks back when the controlled side of the EMS shut off.

That means there's no power to the electric water heater, either furnace or AC, washer dryer etc.

On our way home it would start working occasionally, but then quit again when we tried to use any of the controlled circuits.

When it's down there are no lights working on the monitor panel. It's absolutely dark.

I tried running the generator and it works but the "GEN" light is out on the monitor panel and, just like the shore power, only the non controlled circuits work.

When we got home I took the panel out of the wall and checked everything I had the smarts to look at. There's 12 Volts at the input side. Not sure what else to look for.

I disconnected the batteries overnight more than once hoping for a reboot. That had no affect.

Two weeks ago I had given up and was putting the panel back in the wall when all of a sudden it "woke up" and everything worked fine until today. I've had the coach hooked up to 50 AMP shore power the last 2 weeks and been working on some little things inside. Everything has worked just fine. I tried running both furnace, both heat pumps and the electric water heater.

Today we decided to spend the night in the motorhome so I turned on both furnaces and as soon as the second one "lit" the EMS went dead again.

When it decides to work you can hear all the relays click and everything seems perfect. It's like you just shut the 12 volt power off to the circuit board.

I checked for loose wiring and everything looked good, even with my volt/ohm meter.

Next step??
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #2

May not be you exact problem but I had intermittent problems a while back. It turned out that my transfer switch was having some problems and I would have to give the transfer switch a good wack and everything would work. Problem kept happening until I finally hanged my transfer switch. I had the Iota 50 amp transfer switch which is known for its problems. This may or may not be related to your problem. If the ems acts up again, I would give the transfer switch a good wack with the palm of your hands. My ems at the time of the problem woul be flickering at the control panel or be completely dark until I smacked the transfer switch.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #3

I believe your Intellitec unit only controls AC power to different devices and your furnace only uses 12 volts. So your Intellitec unit uses 12 volts for circuit board power. This means that most likely the common problem is your 12 volt power to both being low or intermittent. If you have a dirty or loose 12 volt wire or cable off the battery then that could cause the problem or just bad batteries. What happens to the 12 volt ceiling lights when this all happens? Check and clean all battery cables and battery posts and check the water in the batteries. Let us know what you find out then we can go from there.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
I believe your Intellitec unit only controls AC power to different devices and your furnace only uses 12 volts. So your Intellitec unit uses 12 volts for circuit board power. This means that most likely the common problem is your 12 volt power to both being low or intermittent. If you have a dirty or loose 12 volt wire or cable off the battery then that could cause the problem or just bad batteries. What happens to the 12 volt ceiling lights when this all happens? Check and clean all battery cables and battery posts and check the water in the batteries. Let us know what you find out then we can go from there.
Good catch. Check the "salesman switch" circuit and the house batt cutoff switch too. Both of those can cause low or no DC to the coach.
Ron
Old 12-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
FIXED

Well, the thoughts on a 12V problem were right on track.

I decided to pull the EMS control panel back out and look for loose connections. While I was at it, I thought I'd check the 12 volt fuses in the box next to it.

In the process I just barely bumped the F13 fuse marked furnace/roof AC. When I did that I heard the EMS relays clicking.

I "bumped" it a few more times and every time the EMS would power up or down.

Turns out that is the fuse that supplies 12 Volt power for the EMS. The terminals that the fuse plugs into had apparently spread over time and any little vibration (like that big diesel motor 3 ft. away) would cause the fuse to lose it's connection.

Ten seconds with a pair of needle nose pliers and all appears to be well!!
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote