Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2017, 09:25 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Unfortunately, I'm also going with water damage. Had a very similar place where water got trapped in the wall over a slide.

When I pulled it out to repair, it's as William Willard described it. The luan had gotten spongy and then dried kinda flaky, with it coming apart following the grain. The interior-side luan stayed stuck to the foam, but the foam came away easily from the fiberglas (if you dig that far).

Should be easy to find new luan (and foam if needed), and then just use a construction adhesive appropriate for the foam. I am going to use a piece of oak paneling instead of luan... never did find any wallpaper that was similar or even close.

Dunno if you can just 'patch' the affected place or need to do bigger, will probably depend on how you can blend it all together.

My windows have a rubber gasket sandwiched between the outer frame and the fiberglaf wall. Only needed a bit of due diligence to ensire it all came off in one piece.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2017, 10:22 PM   #16

Split panel behind drivers seat

Hi all,

I was so surprised to see a conversation on this issue but glad that I did because I have a similar one.

We have a 2005 Monaco Gazelle 40ft with 3 slides. The single larger slide is on the drivers side and that is were the crack just suddenly appeared one day with no warning. We only take weekend trips at the moment so somewhere between when we drove it and parked it back at storage we found the crack.

The location is in between the slide and the driver side window. I too did not notice any sign of rot, weather, carpet stain or any other sign of water penetration. However, the difference here is the crack runs vertical, not horizontal and it is approximately 12 to 16 inches long. It is crackly when pressing on the panel. There are absolutely no external signs of penetration or damage to suggest a leak and the roof is a one part seam less fiberglass roof.

I should mention that the front shocks were just changed about 1 to 2 months before we saw the crack. I am speculating that somehow the shock replacement might have had something to do with it.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated in addition to fix it ideas. I would love a picture of the panel construction mentioned on the other post.

Thanks all...happy RVing!
Danerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:35 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I'm the OP. My calendar is chocked full with upcoming trips. Bad timing for me to tear into the cracked wall. So I bought a tube of bone-colored caulk, put a dab on my fingertip, and filled the 3 cracks. After wiping the excess with a damp rag the cracks disappeared. I realize my procrastination level may be at an all-time high and the problem will most likely reappear to dealt with later. Till then, I'll keep an eye on it.
bklaes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior