Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Interior wall crack

The side wall behind the passenger seat, in front of the slide, has given birth to 3 cracks. I suspected water damage prior to when I bought it. Looks ok on the exterior. Can I fill with ProFlex and not worry about it, or have I got a much bigger problem?

Click image for larger version

Name:	dip wall c;rackd -reduced for upload.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	922.8 KB
ID:	155686
bklaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #2

Did you look a the roof to sidewall seam? That seams to be the problem spot especially if there's a awning or slide topper involved. Remember that is a very long seam so you have to inspect the whole thing.
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:51 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy2 View Post
Did you look a the roof to sidewall seam? That seams to be the problem spot especially if there's a awning or slide topper involved. Remember that is a very long seam so you have to inspect the whole thing.
And the fiberglass awning box right there too. I had a major leak in that same are from above.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:53 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
They look like stress cracks -- Close the slide & see if the cracks go all the way to the edge of the wall -- Did they appear about the same time & how long ago -- Have you checked for cracks on the drivers side -- It could be from moisture -- Check the porch light for a good seal -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:56 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Coach model?
Might help us work out where the problem issues from.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:18 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
Coach model?
Might help us work out where the problem issues from.
Make, model and year is in the OP's sig.

If it is a water leak the wall would be spongy and the wallpaper would start to deteriorate. I suspect slide out stress is causing the crack, and the stress has to do with leveling the coach after the slides are extended, which was necessary to help keep the windshield from popping out.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:27 PM   #7

Looks more than water damage.
If he worried about deeper structural issues.
Possibly impact or extremely rough road use.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:20 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for everyone's input. I'll try to answer all the questions to hone in on the '05 Dip wall cracks...
I just noticed the cracks today. I drove in some cold weather a week ago for a few hours, but didn't deploy the slides.
The driver's side has no cracks.
Wall paper not disintegrating.
The pass side sidewall is a bit "crackly" when I press in near the top crack. Not spongy... crackly. Not-so-crackly near the bottom.
No wetness or moisture on the sidewall or carpet in the area in the past year. I could have a leak in the places suggested, but think I wouldn've seen evidence of a leak before the wall cracked up.
I'm the only driver and not taken it over any rough roads.
I use the 1) slides out. 2) air dump. 3) front jack down first, to level.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:22 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Shoot... no one offered the solution to get out the Flex Fill and paint to match!
Old 03-22-2017, 07:26 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklaes View Post
Shoot... no one offered the solution to get out the Flex Fill and paint to match!
Its worth a try. Fill and Paint and if it doesn't crack the filler you should be good to go I would think.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:13 AM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
I would take the trim off and see what's there. Then cut a grove and put in a spline across the crack. You need to stabilize the crack. Filling it won't work.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:44 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Awhile back I cut a hole in the side of our coach (07 Camelot) to install an outside exhaust vent for the microwave -- I`m sure the walls on our coach & yours are made the same -- From inside to out, the first layer is the luan paneling, 1 1/2 inch foam, thin luan paneling, & then the fiberglass, which is very thin -- These layers are bonded together & are very strong -- I still have the piece I cut out & could post a picture of it if would help you understand the wall construction --
Are your slides hydraulic ? If they are, & of course this is just a guess, could it be that the slide was out of adjustment, & pulled on that wall hard enough to crack it -- My slides are electric, & don`t have the power of the hydraulic ones --
When you do find & fix the problem, I would not paint the wall, but find a like wallpaper to cover it -- At some point you will be selling or trading that coach, & just a painted wall will be a red flag -- The window trim & such is easy to remove -- Fill the cracks, paint the wall with a primer such as KILZ -- If you try to parer it without the primer, it won`t take long for the paper to turn loose -- I speak from experience on that one -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:29 PM   #13

Seems more like water damage. Composet Products offer alot of options for fixing these issues
RVLover357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:22 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to all.
RWeigant-good idea with spline. I'll remove the wall paper and investigate.
Bill Willard- Hydraulic slides that seem to be working the same for 3 years. Thanks for offer of pic, but I don't think it's necessary.

I'm going with the water damage theory until I find evidence to change my mind... A couple of questions...

Is there a source for replacement wall paper?

Will the crackly/rotted Luan separate easy enough from the foam layer?

Does the entire piece of Luan need replaced or can I extract & replace just the damaged section? (I'm not too keen on removing the over-the-door cabinet.)

When I remove the passenger side window, what odds will you give me that I can reassemble without it leaking?

Tags
interior