Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #1

Intermittent Back up camera and monitor

I have a Voyager AOM-7694 Monitor system on my 2007 Diplomat.

The system for the most part works well, however every so often,usually when I need it most, the rear camera goes dead and reports no signal on the Monitor.

I have checked all of the wiring harnesses and they all seem secure.

I can drive for miles with the rear camera working fine and then suddenly no signal. If i stop and shut the coach off and then restart sometimes it will work fine, other times it will be working and if I shut down and restart it will not.

My dealer(The Hitchhouse) gives me no support other than tell me to contact asa electronics the manufacturer. Their web sight gives no support contact numbers other than Fax or E mail.

This problem has existed since new, any help would be most appreciated!
Mr V is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a simular problem with a Safari Trek backup system. I finally was able to trace it down to the cable to the right front camera. What had happened was the cable was not secured well and got between the front cap and frame. It would pinch the wire while tooling down the road and the camera would go blank, stop and restart and it may work all day or a short time, nothing regular.

Richard
rtrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:43 AM   #3

Thank You rtrek,

I will check the front camera connections!
Old 12-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Got this info. from a post a few months ago.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/rear-...mera-1760.html Post #6

I represent ASA Electronics, the producer of the JENSEN brand of televisions, stereos, and speakers and the Voyager brand of observation monitors and cameras. At ASA, we strive to provide excellent customer service and product satisfaction and would like to offer some assistance in this matter.

We will need additional information in order to answer your questions. It would be best for you or your dealer to call us for more troubleshooting. You can reach us on our toll free technical support line at (877) 845-8750. We are available M-F 8:00 AM until 6:00 PM EDT.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

2004 Ford Ranger Edge
El Cajon CA.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #5

Thank You Richard,

I will give them a call, Compliments to this forum and all of the helpful people on it!
Old 12-11-2009, 08:13 PM   #6

New Camera from ASA

Just to follow up on all the help You provided.

I called ASA and they were extremely helpful and cooperative. We diagnosed it as a defective camera and they sent me out a new one under warranty.

I installed it and it works perfectly.

I am very pleased and thankful for all the help.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #7

Well My back up camera just quit working on my 96 HR Endeavor for no reason!, When I parked her about 2 months ago everything was fine. I started her up just a few days ago and nothing! I am getting power to the monitor and camera. I check the hots to both.

I just bought another b&w setup from an rv place. My issue is now of course do I try and splice the old camera cable to the new one or do I tear the coach apart to figure out how to rerun new cable? It would seem to me that someone would have said hey let's install a conduit in case this cable ever needs to be replaced.

I have installed the camera and wired the power for the monitor but am stuck on what to do with the camera cable! HELLLLLPPPPPPP!!

I try to be a DIY'er any help appreciated

Cameraless in Elk Grove
RUNDLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:07 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
When the Voyager camera in my 2007 Diplomat stops working, I just reboot it by pushing the on/off button. It comes back up immediately. You do not have to turn off the coach key.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:20 AM   #9

Well I finally just decided to go for it! I got the camera mounted on the back of the coach, I will need to fill one hole with silicone. I have planned out my route to run the cable, I will need to drill a total of 5 holes to get the cable back to the front of the coach.

There is actually quite a bit of space behind all the cabinets to run the cable without any problems. I "think" it will take a couple of hours to do it all nice and neat and I will be back up and running again for some time. One added bonus with this new install is that I will have audio so I can hear any addition barbs from the wife!

Anyone wanting to try their own install should just take a few minutes and see what seems to be the easiest route to take.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #10
rex

Monaco Owners Club
RUNDLC you didn't say what year coach you have. On my 01 Diplomat there is a spare 2-inch conduit under the coach. It is on the driver's side frame rail on the inside of the rail. It is difficult to see it but it is just above the drag link. Follow the wiring in the rail and you should find it. If you have this spare, use an electricians fish tape to find where it comes out over the transmission and then pull the new cable through

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:30 AM   #11

Oh I forgot to say, she's a 96 HR endeavor LE I pray there would be a conduit somewhere, but kinda doubt it on the early ones. I will verify though just to be sure.

Thanks
Old 01-29-2010, 06:56 AM   #12

OK after installing the new back-up camera, running the cable, having to modify the the dash to make the larger monitor fit and splicing the cable I now have a back up system with sound to boot!

Not a tough job at all, biggest thing was trying to route the cable in the OEM location (which would never work) I ended up running the cable through and behind cabinets. I still need to add some small crown molding at the bedroom since I ran the cable along the ceiling.

I thought I would have an issue cutting the cable to make routing easier but even that was just a re-splice job. Glad I didn't let my local RV place install it for a 700.00 charge because it would be so difficult to do, it takes a good day to get it done kinda thing.

I spent a total of about 3-4 hours to do the entire thing, I still need to do some finish work but in the end thats ok I save a few Benjamin's.

Tags
2007 monaco diplomat pdq