Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Intertek tow connector

My tow connector on the Diplomat is falling apart and I need to replace it. I can see no part number on it but I do see the manufacturers name INTERTEK. The connector has got a "pig tail" with a plug, so I assume that not any connector will work .

Googling INTERTEK came up empty and apart from 1 hit on iRV2 I can't find any information that would reveal a parts number.

Assistance needed on a part number and if you know where to get it online I would be pleased

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I had to replace mine last year, the part from Monaco was big $$$, I just purchased a generic connector with an attached harness and spliced them together. Just a warning, Monaco doesn't use the standard color codes for any of the wires, you just have to be careful with what you splice together. If you need more info, I think I can get the colors Monaco used for each signal.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danes-on-tour View Post
My tow connector on the Diplomat is falling apart and I need to replace it. I can see no part number on it but I do see the manufacturers name INTERTEK. The connector has got a "pig tail" with a plug, so I assume that not any connector will work .

Googling INTERTEK came up empty and apart from 1 hit on iRV2 I can't find any information that would reveal a parts number.

Assistance needed on a part number and if you know where to get it online I would be pleased
Henrik,

Which end are you talking about, the 7 pin female mounted to the rear of your coach or the cable that plugs into that one and into the front of you toad? I have replace both on my coach and purchased them at Camping World. The one on the coach can be replaced by taking the old one off the cable and attaching a new one. If you remove it from the bracket you will be able to get the cover off and unscrew the terminals. You should be able to find the cable that runs between the coach and the toad already made up.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Henrik,

Which end are you talking about, the 7 pin female mounted to the rear of your coach or the cable that plugs into that one and into the front of you toad? I have replace both on my coach and purchased them at Camping World. The one on the coach can be replaced by taking the old one off the cable and attaching a new one. If you remove it from the bracket you will be able to get the cover off and unscrew the terminals. You should be able to find the cable that runs between the coach and the toad already made up.

Bob
It's the one on the rear of the coach, which on mine is a male plug. I will see if I can take it apart as suggested. Don't want to pay "Monaco prices"

Old 01-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danes-on-tour View Post
It's the one on the rear of the coach, which on mine is a male plug. I will see if I can take it apart as suggested. Don't want to pay "Monaco prices"
Henrik,

Take out the four bolts or screws hold the plug to the flange. Pull the plug toward you and take off the cover. Write down the color and connection pattern of the wires and then untighten all the terminals and remove the wires. Take the plug to any place that sells RV supplies and match the plug. Put the new one back in the reverse order.

The male/female thing is up for discussion. The contacts on the coach side are male, but the receptacle is female. I guess I need to review what the receptacle on the coach should be called. At any rate, if you take it with you for comparison you will get the correct one.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Bob

I will see if my limited electrical skills will get me there without getting me into trouble.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Henrik,
we are heading up to Parker today for a day trip. We are going with Hal and I think we are going to stop bye and see you. If we make it I have replaced my 7 pin connector so maybe I can give you some help.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Excellent

We are on the California side at Emerald Cove Resort in Earp - site 65.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hal is feeling bad so it will just be Jeri and me.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks to help from my iRV2 friends I can now show you the relatively inexpensive repair.

It appear that places like NAPA stocks a 7pin trailer connector that is an exact match - see photo. Even the fixing holes in the bracket where the connector sits is a 100% match. Price: $16.

Take a multimeter and find out which colour wire goes to which flat pin (as explained by Bob in a previous post) and hook them up right at the back of the new connector. Easy job.

Thanks to itdave for pleasant supervision (plus a few other useful tips on future projects )

Here is the old broken connector:

...and here is the new connector from NAPA.

I have been told by itdave that the connector also comes in a metal version, and this could well be the preferred choice since the plastic connectors seem to break with time.