RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2019, 08:18 AM   #1

Inverter 5000 watt that was installed on my Holiday Rambler

Inverter 5000 watt that was installed on my Holiday Rambler I need info help.
It has 6- 6 volt batteries hook to the inverter and the it has a plug for the out put. I would like to have it hook up all the time and haft to plug this plug in. I'm not even sure what the plug does run. The remote for the inverter is mounted on the side of my bed and I can see it is hooked up.
Now here is my question what do I need to do to hook it up to run the couch with out plugging it in? I have seen in other RV they turn theirs on it then it is running the couch on the batteries and inverter?

Help
Denis RV
Holiday Rambler

Denis RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2019, 08:23 AM   #2

Much depends on if the 5K inverter has an option for hard wiring output? If so, then that needs to be fed up with probably 12-3 to the Circuit Board. Then you can set up what I call the Inverter side of CB, different from the Generator/Shore Power side.

If you are not comfortable/knowledgeable with electricity, get a tech to help you. Or, study some of the different How To feeds from Google.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...30.wuTnw_6bF3E

When in doubt, get it done by a professional!

Best of luck to you,
Smitty

Old 09-23-2019, 08:33 AM   #3

You will probable need two inverter type automatic transfer switchs.

They will plug into the inverter outlets, ( There is no 5000 watt, single outlet ) and get wired into the circuits you want to run.

A 20 amp outlet is about 2400 watts.

You don't want to run your converter/charger, your water heater, air conditioners, or your fridge, if its gas/electric on the inverter. They will draw down your batteries in a few hours.

Microwaves, 120 volt residental fridges, coffee makers and TV systems, and other small appliances that run short times are OK

Kaise makes 20 amp, Inverter type, auto transfer switchs.

With them, you need to cut into the circuits you want to power.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:26 AM   #4

Sorry, wrong spelling. Its Kisae ATS

https://www.invertersupply.com/index...xoC9O0QAvD_BwE
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You will probable need two inverter type automatic transfer switchs.

They will plug into the inverter outlets, ( There is no 5000 watt, single outlet ) and get wired into the circuits you want to run.

A 20 amp outlet is about 2400 watts.

You don't want to run your converter/charger, your water heater, air conditioners, or your fridge, if its gas/electric on the inverter. They will draw down your batteries in a few hours.

Microwaves, 120 volt residental fridges, coffee makers and TV systems, and other small appliances that run short times are OK

Kaise makes 20 amp, Inverter type, auto transfer switchs.

With them, you need to cut into the circuits you want to power.

Thank you for the info on the transfer switch as that is what I needed. It was a big help that you sent me to the place to purchase it....
Thanks Again
Denis
Holiday Rambler
Denis RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:14 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like this coach is new to you.
My advice is to determine how the inverter is actually wired into your battery back
  1. What size wire, will determine what kind of load you can actually pull
  2. Does it have overload protection, if not I'd advice to install
  3. Find out what the plug you mentioned actually does and if it has any interaction with the current shore power, transfer switch, and generator.
If someone took short cuts installing the inverter it could be a problem.

Once your are satisfied it is installed correctly/safely then you can look at trying to wire it in permanently.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:08 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Some more information about that inverter plug would be helpful. Hopefully it is a female receptacle rather than a male plug - the exposed prongs on a male pug would be dangerous if the inverter were powered on with nothing plugged. We also need to know the details of the plug, i.e. number and positions of the prongs or slots (3 or 4). If you don't know the designation of the plug, a photo would help.

Please tell us more about the inverter make & model as well. It may indeed have an output capable of 5000 watts on a single wire. The Aims 5000, for example, can produce up to 41 amps (5000W) on a single output terminal.

Does your coach have 30A or 50A shore power? If 30A, it may well have been set up to plug the entire coach into the inverter's power outlet. However, there are some additional steps that must be taken before doing that.

Please don't just plug something into that inverter power cord until you & we have a better understanding of how it is wired.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holiday rambler, install, inverter, led