Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2019, 06:47 PM   #1

Inverter AC plugs all dead... URGENT

Hey guys hoping someone can help with this.

Half of my plugs in my coach are not working. I've narrowed it down to all of the plugs that pass through the inverter. Of course I checked all of the obvious things the pop out breakers on the side of my converter charger, and the main breaker for the inverter.

One side of the inverter is definitely working because my microwave is still on.

I had a extension cord in my wet Bay powering a small space heater that I believe shorted out.

I wouldnL hink that this would have popped one of the 20 amp breakers on the side of my Magnum inverter charger however after resetting both of those all of my plugs are still dead what am I missing????

Is the inverter damaged?

I thought AC simply passed through it when it wasn't inverting.

Help! I full time in my rig and this is a terrible time to have lost my plugs.
MonacoMan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2019, 06:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMan84 View Post
Hey guys hoping someone can help with this.

Half of my plugs in my coach are not working. I've narrowed it down to all of the plugs that pass through the inverter. Of course I checked all of the obvious things the pop out breakers on the side of my converter charger, and the main breaker for the inverter.

One side of the inverter is definitely working because my microwave is still on.

I had a extension cord in my wet Bay powering a small space heater that I believe shorted out.

I wouldnL hink that this would have popped one of the 20 amp breakers on the side of my Magnum inverter charger however after resetting both of those all of my plugs are still dead what am I missing????

Is the inverter damaged?

I thought AC simply passed through it when it wasn't inverting.

Help! I full time in my rig and this is a terrible time to have lost my plugs.
It does, through an Automatic Transfer Switch. That ATS may be your problem.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:10 PM   #3

look for a GFCI outlet tripped. May be in bathroom.
ka5gyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5gyo View Post
look for a GFCI outlet tripped. May be in bathroom.
This. If the micro CAN work on inverter power (as in inverting, no shore or generator) and it is working NOW then the inverter is working and the AC is passing through the inverter.

Quote:
I deduce from this statement that the inverter CAN power the micro. There is no such thing as "one side" of the inverter. It's either passing through or it isn't.

The bathroom circuits powered by the inverter, and often many non "wet" outlets that are daisy chained after that, are GFI protected by the first outlet in the chain.

Money on it.....
Old 03-04-2019, 07:31 PM   #5

OMG how did I not think of the GFCI. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2019, 08:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMan84 View Post
OMG how did I not think of the GFCI. Thanks!
Been there, done that.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:12 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just for information, the Magnum inverter in his coach has two circuit breakers (two sides). Whenever we blew something in our Diplomat, the first look was to the GFCI, then the inverter, then the coach circuit breakers, followed by the shore circuit breaker. This was typically the progression.

Maybe go with a couple of 100 watt trouble lights in the bay.....(may be hard to find the bulbs now days).

If you're going to use a heater in the bay, plug it directly into the shore power pole with an extension cord. As a practice, you should try and avoid running high wattage items like heaters through an inverted outlet. Try and find outlets that are not inverted and run heaters via those outlets. Once you know which outlets are not inverted, make a mark on them with a Sharpie.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
It does, through an Automatic Transfer Switch. That ATS may be your problem.
that's an interesting piece of knowledge since I started this thread which turned out to be a problem that I could have easily figured out through searching...... we might as well elaborate a bit on how these inverter chargers work.
.... I was not aware that there was a magnetic style ATS inside the converter charger as well.........good to know. And makes sense
Old 03-04-2019, 11:24 PM   #9

I neglected to tell the entire story I was actually filling my freshwater tank while doing a number of other tasks... and forgot about it

The fresh water gravity fill began to overflow dumping water directly onto the small space heater I use to keep my water pump from freezing it was completely my fault.

All is well an working now.

Thank God as it's 5 degrees. My water is flowing ad everything is working.

Thanks IRV2 as usual you've got my back.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:56 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
So....what was it?
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:18 AM   #11

In my coach there is an outlet on the inverter which is located in one of the outside compartments. This outlet has a GFCI which trips occasionally which kills all the outlets which the inverter feeds. It kills them whether using the invertor or not.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:31 AM   #12

Sounds like a tripped GFCI.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter