RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #1

inverter/Charger Issue

My Xantrax 1500 inverter/charger appears to no longer be charging, although the remote panel indicates that it is working. In the event it is the unit, what have any of you installed as a replacement? Any ideas of whether the problem could be something other than the unit? Any suggestions or advice are welcome!

EngrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I recently replaced my Xantrex 2kW inverter/charger because it would intermittently stop charging. I replaced it with a 2.8kW Magnum pure sine wave unit. Amazon has both the 2.0kW and 2.8kW Magnum's at prices several hundred dollars less than anyone else is offering them at. The installation was relatively easy; even the remote panel can be connected using the same wiring.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Bob.....Check your manual and the unit closely. Some of them have hidden fuses. If it can't be fixed or isn't worth fixing, Monaco went with Magnum Inverters in their models around 2005. I think they're great units and you don't here people having issues with them.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We replaced our Xantrex 1500 watt modified wave with a Xantrex 3000 watt pure sine wave. Looked at both a new Xantrex and a Magnum and for the price and wattage we went with Xantrex. Had some other questions that were not related to the inverter at all and the support was quick and fast.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #5

Thanks all. I just wish it would show a fault or some indication that it isn't working. This is one of the old black box 1500s.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Our problem was there were some wires inside that would jiggle apart even while sitting still. Thom did not want to force them to stay connected as were on shore power and were getting a new one anyway. Thom is an electrical person so he was ok with opening it up to look at why it was intermittent on things. Like I said we were replacing anyway because of the intermittent problems. New technology and stuff just made it better to get a new instead of trying to fix the old.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #7

Well, I reset and reattached the old unit and it seemed to work for a while, but now seems to have reverted to its less than useful behavior. Has anyone tried one of the new generation inverter/chargers? I have been looking at the KISAE Abso 2000. It has more power than my old Heart Freedom 15 and is a pure sine wave inverter. The amazing thing is that it is only about 70% of the price of the Xantrex or Magnum modified sine wave units and is much smaller and lighter. It would mean running a new communications cable (have to pull with the old) but it has three AC outputs, 30A non-GCFI and 20A GCFI.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #8
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

One difference I notice is that the KISAE has a 55 amp charger vs the 125 A one in the Magnum 2.8kW PSW that I just installed. When they have them in stock Amazon has incredible prices on the Magnum product line. The KISAE appear to have outlets into which things get plugged in; I needed an inverter/charger that was wired into a circuit the way my Xantrex Freedom was.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #9

The KISAE has two hard wired output ports in addition to the GCFI output sockets and even has a USB output. I see that the charger is only 55A; however, I'm not sure that the extra time to charge the battery bank is particularly important to me because of the way we use the unit. This would give me 500 more watts of output at a very reasonable price. I was just wondering whether anyone had actually tried one of the new generation units.