Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2022, 06:08 PM   #1

Inverter/Charger Issue

I have a 2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ with a Magnum MS2000 in inverter/charger.
While staying at a county park CC over the holiday weekend, we came home to the MH and found that the entire campground was without power. We had all three of the AC/heat pumps on while we were away for the day to keep the cats warm.
I turned off the heat pumps at the thermostat and started the generator which started the heat up without and issue. Shortly after starting the generator, we realized that the power was back on at the campground. I again turned off the heat and stopped the generator. I check the pedestal outside and found it OK.
After going back inside my wife was questioning if the power was back on because the 120V outlets were not on. I checked the inverter's circuit breakers, both on the interior main electric panel as well as the two breakers on the inverter. All good.
Still no power at any of the outlets and soon realized that we were no longer charging the batteries as well. (NO CHARGING LIGHT) However if I selected inverting on the control panel all the outlets worked, but still no charging light with 0Amps. The interior control panel also goes dark, but will come back for a while if a button is pushed. It normally stays on all the time.
I took a trip to Walmart and picked up a battery charger and luckily the CC had s 20 amp outlet in the pedestal that got us through the next day or two keeping the batteries charged up.
I did do a Google search and did find a site that suggested a hard reboot of the inverter/charger by turning off all the power both AC and DC and disconnecting the + terminal on the inverter for 5 minutes. That didn't work. There was battery voltage at the inverter when I disconnected it so the thing is getting power and it does supply 120V while inverting. It just doesn't pass the 120V through without inverting or charge the batteries.
Not sure what is going on as we have never had this problem before and could us some help or suggestions as to how to proceed.
Thanks.
Rustygold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2022, 06:33 PM   #2

I am assuming you tested it, but I did not see it mentioned, did you test 120v going into the inverter?

If you have 120v going into the inverter, and all of the circuit breakers are good I would assume the internal transfer switch is fried.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:43 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Did you hit the reset button on the Magnum unit in the bay compartment? It’s a white button high on the side of the unit which is easy to miss if unit’s mounted to ceiling of compartment.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:46 PM   #4

EDIT.....oops
I was thinking ATS but re-read says you have 12v and 120v coming into inverter.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:49 PM   #5

Check for 220V at the inverter input (one side L1 or L2) may be missing should be 120V from neutral to L1 and 120V from neutral to L2.

Flip the main CG pedestal all the way off and back on.
Start the generator and see if AC will pass through from the gen (may be transfer switch).
Old 11-29-2022, 07:05 PM   #6

Maybe I read it wrong again. Basically wrote near same as the right above post before I deleted/edited. But you only find 120v single phase to inverter . Only a couple new 3000 watt inverters have 50a split pass through . You have split phase in ATS. Look for bad or burnt connections in ATS. Kill the power and try to manually actuate each contactor. If genny contact or got stuck the pedestal contactor wont pull in.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
I am assuming you tested it, but I did not see it mentioned, did you test 120v going into the inverter?

If you have 120v going into the inverter, and all of the circuit breakers are good I would assume the internal transfer switch is fried.
I only tested and saw 12 V on the inverter. I will check tomorrow for 120V.
Won't I have 120v if when I select inverter it powers the outlets?
We were not there when the power went out, but I suspect that prior to going out completely where was as brown out or as surge and it took out the inverter.
Is the unit repairable if in fact some component is fried and is it worth fixing or just replacing?
Old 11-29-2022, 07:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry1p View Post
Check for 220V at the inverter input (one side L1 or L2) may be missing should be 120V from neutral to L1 and 120V from neutral to L2.

Flip the main CG pedestal all the way off and back on.
Start the generator and see if AC will pass through from the gen (may be transfer switch).
I checked the pedestal as number of tries by switching it off and on. The generator is the same (no pass through) to the outlets.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:21 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
"Check for 220V at the inverter input (one side L1 or L2) may be missing should be 120V from neutral to L1 and 120V from neutral to L2."

Lets hope the OP doesn't find 220 volts at the inverter input
Old 11-29-2022, 07:22 PM   #10

Like to add you could bypass ATS with split bolts, then taped or screw down butt connectors big enough for 6ga. wire. The inverter you could most likely use wire nuts to bypass it.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kketterling View Post
Did you hit the reset button on the Magnum unit in the bay compartment? It’s a white button high on the side of the unit which is easy to miss if unit’s mounted to ceiling of compartment.
The small 30A breaker was checked and seemed ok. It was not in the out position.
I do have a question about the two breakers on the inverter. They are both presently out approximately 1/2" and they can't be pushed back in, however I can pull them out and they stay out with a small click.
When I have tried pulling them out, the inside panel indicates "searching", but it won't invert until I push the breakers back in.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:29 PM   #12

So you only lost circuits on inverter. Did you check it's breaker in main CB panel.
A few of have found fuses inside of inverters. Mine was an auto mini fuse soldered in . I bypassed it with wires external fuse holder, if it blows again I can replace it without opening the inverter again. Others have found old type glass fuse in holders ,even though said no owner serviceable parts inside.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Maybe I read it wrong again. Basically wrote near same as the right above post before I deleted/edited. But you only find 120v single phase to inverter . Only a couple new 3000 watt inverters have 50a split pass through . You have split phase in ATS. Look for bad or burnt connections in ATS. Kill the power and try to manually actuate each contactor. If genny contact or got stuck the pedestal contactor wont pull in.
I did replace the ATS on my old MH. I just need to find where this one is on the Camelot.
I'm no longer at the CG and at home and plugged into a 30A outlet, but still have the same problem I had at the CG. I will check for burnt or stuck contacts once I find it.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
So you only lost circuits on inverter. Did you check it's breaker in main CB panel.
A few of have found fuses inside of inverters. Mine was an auto mini fuse soldered in . I bypassed it with wires external fuse holder, if it blows again I can replace it without opening the inverter again. Others have found old type glass fuse in holders ,even though said no owner serviceable parts inside.
The main breaker in the main panel was checked numerous times that night. I did read that there is a fuse of some sort internally in the inverter. I will check the ATS and line voltage as others have suggested before tearing into the inverter.

Tags
charger, inverter