Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #1

inverter/converter

Does a converter change 120V to 12v dc?
Does a inverter change 12v to 120v?
I have a Inverter that I plug into the cig lighter to run 120v things while dry camping.
If you have a inverter, and it does change 12v to 120v, do some or all of the 120v outlets work?
We have a 08 Monarch and I am not sure if we have a inverter. I don't think we do.
jmr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #2

On my Itasca only a few plugs are powered by the inverter. The plugs that are active power the entertainment center & a plug by the passenger seat.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #3

jmr12, I just went and looked at the 08 monach specs at the monaco web site and it does not say it is standard or not, however it looks like the 50amp EMS was an option on some of the monachs. Do you have 30 or 50 amp service? If you have the fifty amp it should be a panel for the EMS systems on the control panel where the tank level and gen start is located. If it is there let me know and I will send you a manual on it. Hope this helps you out.

George
Old 02-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #4

George
It is a 30 amp. 99% sure. Which brings up another question. We stayed at a rv park with 50 amp services only. Had to use a pig tail. Is there any problem with that?
EMS??
Old 02-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr12
George
It is a 30 amp. 99% sure. Which brings up another question. We stayed at a rv park with 50 amp services only. Had to use a pig tail. Is there any problem with that?
EMS??
No. I carry a 15 and 50 amp adapter for my 30 amp coach.

Generally speaking, inverters from the factory will only power the TV area and perhaps a few more outlets.....all depending on the size of the inverter.
jlyon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
EMS is Energy Management System. It monitors the 120v system for power usage. Say you're running the AC and a toaster and your pulling 25 amps. You then start the micrwave which puts you over 30 amps. The EMS will shut down the AC until there is enough amps available again.
jlyon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many questions. And some of them even have the same answer, (like the 1st 2)

Q1oes a converter change 120V to 12v dc
A1:YES

Q2oes a inverter change 12v to 120v?
A2: YES

C1:I have a Inverter that I plug into the cig lighter to run 120v things while dry camping.
C1Respnose: Those are handy for LOW power devices, may be enough to run a laptop, but your power limit is right close to 100 watts.

Q3: If you have a inverter, and it does change 12v to 120v, do some or all of the 120v outlets work?
A3: Depends 100% on how the inverter is installed,, IN my coach for example I have an after market Prosine 2.0 (2,000 watt, true sine wave, VERY NICE) and yes, SOME outlets work off the inverter,, Which ones depends on a switch I installed but here is a partial list.

Small inverters usually power just the Television/Rado/Related outlets.

Larger ones may add the GFCI controlled outlets (This includes bathroom, and your electric shaver)

over 1500 watt adds the Microwave.

I, added the outlets by the bed (Via a switch) this also adds the fridge in my rig, your rig WILL be different in this respect..

C2: We have a 08 Monarch and I am not sure if we have a inverter. I don't think we do.

Suggestion 1:

Pick up a pack of what are often called "path lights" these are standard 2-prong 120 volt plugs with Neon lamps (Quarter watt generally) built in them.. Like night lights.

Plug one into every outlet in the house.

With shore power all should light.. Pull the plug and if any remain lit.. YOU have answered most all your questions above. (And yes you have an inverter)
Old 02-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #8

JMR12, using a pigtail is a ok. The pig tail will only use one hot leg of the 50 amp plug at the camp ground.

G
Old 02-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #9

wa8yxm
(And yes you have an inverter)[/QUOTE]
Where is it?
Old 02-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First two questions yes and yes. We too have a portable inverter and don't use it much at all. I would assume an onboard inverter might power some receptacles.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #11

wa8xym
Seriously...................Where is it??
Old 02-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Jmr12
Mine is located in the compartment where the shoreline power cord is. It should be near the powercord... I would be very surprised if you did not have one.. I found out that the outlet by the drives seat was on the inverter when I disconnected from shore power and got back in to see my electric heater still on... lol.. just plug stuff in and see where they are like wa8xym said..
good luck
jeff
TDiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #13

Mine is located in the same basement compartment as the chassis batteries.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote