Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2016, 06:55 PM   #1

Inverter display and relay cycling on/off

Hi there we lost power. We had 30 amp service running it through an adaptor. I had the microwave and a new led TV with a couple of lights on.

No breakers were popped in or out of the coach. I reset the breakers in the bedroom.

I shut off the batteries to make it stop cycling. I reset the breakers again and turned it back on, and the display is still cycling on and off. When the display cycles on and off, so does the bulk, ac2, inveriting, error and over current LEDs, they flash quickly.

I have a Trace 2512mc that apparently is out of business. I have no battery power or anything, please help.

moira
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 07:44 PM   #2

Did you check for breakers or fuses on the inverter itself ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:08 PM   #3

Yes we checked, he found a cap that said 35 on it but couldn't get it off. Other than that he didn't see any cbs or fuses
Old 07-17-2016, 09:10 PM   #4

The cap is a circuit breaker that pops out when tripped.

Take a pen or pencel and see if it will push in and click. May not be tripped but worth checking.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:53 PM   #5

It was tripped. My husband felt it click in but still have same indications. And the control panel on the inverter is doing the same thing. Flashing on and off display and leds.

I am in upper michigan, where can I bring this too? I thought xantrex was out of business but may have found their number. The closet service center is possibly in ontario.

Tks so much
Old 07-18-2016, 06:55 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Where in Upper Michigan are you?? There should be RV repair available somewhere close to you. Depending on location I would check larger cities. I know of several large RV sales/service dealers in Marquette. If on the West end you may have to drop down into Wisconsin, I know of a couple larger dealers near Wausau Wi.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:19 AM   #7

If it was tripped, maybe the batteries were run down. Run the generator and see if the flashing stops.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:37 PM   #8

Thanks Jim, We were in Mackinaw. Get this, I found the number for xantrex.com! They walked me through some trouble shooting.

It appears that the transfer relay is stuck. It may have also effected the AC board. xantrex gave me the address for a xantrex service center in Marquette!

We are here now and awaiting service tomorrow morning from Superior Electric Co.. I will post their phone no. later.

Now for something really cool.
We couldn't get our slides in. Heres how to get your slides in when the sending signal is faulty.

Push the IN sw on the slide you want to retract first, then push the generator slide IN sw at the same time! bingo. They use the same hydraulic system. Is that cool or what..

Thank you guys again for all your help.

Moira
Old 07-18-2016, 07:57 PM   #9

Thanks twin, The batteries were at full charge. The generator start did not do anything. We can't get any ac power through the generator or the inverter. So now we are in Marquette MI at a Xantrex service center getting a repair. The transfer relay is done. We even had to turn off both batteries because the relay kept cycling on and off.

To add more mystery, when we started the coach to drive it here, the inverter shut off by itself. When we shut off the engine, it started right back up again.

I want to thank everyone again. I will keep you posted on this issue. I don't know how I can go on a trip without you all.

Moira
Old 07-19-2016, 09:07 PM   #10

Well we got fixed and this is what it was.

We had 2 150 amp cbs tripped in the engine compartment. There is a fuse/cb panel back there behind plexiglass. The tech found 2 cbs tripped. They were unmarked and he pushed them in and that was it. He had found that the inverter was not getting enough volts from the batteries. So he started looking for a dc cb.

Well it was an expensive lesson but I was glad to pay it rather than go to someone who never laid eyes on this 2512mc inverter or pay for a new board or relay.

What a nightmare. Glad thats over. Now everything is back to normal.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:13 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Good news, glad you got it fixed.

Was there anything wrong with the inverter????
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira View Post
Well we got fixed and this is what it was.

We had 2 150 amp cbs tripped in the engine compartment. There is a fuse/cb panel back there behind plexiglass. The tech found 2 cbs tripped. They were unmarked and he pushed them in and that was it. He had found that the inverter was not getting enough volts from the batteries. So he started looking for a dc cb.

Well it was an expensive lesson but I was glad to pay it rather than go to someone who never laid eyes on this 2512mc inverter or pay for a new board or relay.

What a nightmare. Glad thats over. Now everything is back to normal.

Moira,
Is you inverter a pure sine wave? The reason I ask is that the OEM inverter for your coach is a 3012. It's a modified sine wave and they don't make it in a pure sine wave.

Glad it was an easy fix.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:59 AM   #13

No, I feel silly now, but live and learn...
Old 07-20-2016, 12:06 PM   #14

I got a picture of the label, it's a sw2512mc. I thought it was a pure sine until now. Is it? It's also a 2500 watt instead of 3. What does that mean to me?

The tech guy liked it. He said it's better than new ones. He rebuilds old ones.

Tags
inverter