Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2014, 06:52 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Inverter / Electric Question

On my 08 Endeavor 40 SFT, when I am running on the inverter, not all the outlets in the coach are powered. In fact, some of the outlets that I would think are more obvious to power (by the dining table, outlets next to bed) are not hot. The service tech says this is normal, but a friend with a Phaeton has all of his outlets hot when the inverter is powering the coach.

So, what's the verdict? Do I have a problem or is this normal?
GatorJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
Community Moderator

So do the outlets without power running the inverter have power when connected to shore power? If they don't maybe breakers or a GFCI is tripped?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Not all mine are on the inverter either. My kitchen table is not. I have 3 receptacles in the bedroom. Only 1 is on the inverter. I'd say your rig is very normal.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Your friend must have a huge inverter. There is no way a 1500/2000 watt inverter can supply all your outlets.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:10 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Varies from coach to coach model. Usually only some, a few, outlets are powered when on inverter.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #6
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
Your friend must have a huge inverter. There is no way a 1500/2000 watt inverter can supply all your outlets.
Sure a 2000 watt inverter can be connected to all outlets. Mine's that way. However, you just can't overload the inverter. I still have the convenience of being able to connect to any outlet in the coach using the inverter. Ya just gotta be a little smarter than what you're working with.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:36 PM   #7

Yep, same inverter on mine and the Phaeton. Seems Monaco installed it so you have no choice but to limit your use. Tiffin expects their owners to be smart enough not to overload it.

Thanks for the replies!
GatorJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:17 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorJ View Post
Yep, same inverter on mine and the Phaeton. Seems Monaco installed it so you have no choice but to limit your use. Tiffin expects their owners to be smart enough not to overload it.

Thanks for the replies!
You have heard of hazing, Monaco is also guilty of hazing. They wired the inverter to 90 % of the outlets so every new owner would have to go outside in their underwear at least once to reset the breaker.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:27 AM   #9

What difference in power draw on a converter/inverter if you have 10 outlets or 15 outlets connected. You still have the same amount of appliances you use. You don't have something plugged into every outlet and turned on.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:45 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is normal and what is not is... most everything.

I have a 2KW inverter it owers TV's Microwave and the GFCI protected outlets which include the one over the dining table, Kitchen, both baths, and patio, but NOT the bedroom.

Some have smaller inverters (power less) some larger (Power more).
Old 10-30-2014, 07:01 AM   #11

All of our outlets are connected to our 2K watt invertor.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #12

Part of the deal when I bought my 07 Diplomat was to have the dealer rewire it so ALL outlets were on inverter. It has never been a problem with tripping the inverter breakers.
arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:25 AM   #13

'06 Dynasty - The only four outlets NOT powered from the inverter are the dish drawer/InstaHot, the refrigerator AC source (ice maker is on the inverter), the washer/dryer and the engine block heat. All other outlets are on the inverter.

I wonder if any two coaches are wired identically??? �� One would think that design logic would prevail, at least, but it often eludes me what they were thinking. I am convinced that coaches are designed and built by people who have NEVER spent any time enjoying life in an RV!
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:11 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorJ View Post
On my 08 Endeavor 40 SFT, when I am running on the inverter, not all the outlets in the coach are powered.
Yep, exactly right. Looking at a wiring diagram, it looks like the two bedside outlets, the two by the dining table, and an outlet by the bedroom TV are not on the inverter: they are fed by circuit breaker 3A in the main breaker panel. Therefore, they will only have power while on the generator or shore power.

My '07 Endeavor PDQ is similar, except that the only outlets not on the inverter are the two bedroom nightstands, and another outlet by the bed near the floor for the SleepNumber bed controller. (When we bought ours, it was a tough decision between the PDQ and SFT -- now I'm glad I didn't get the SFT because I use the dining table outlets A LOT, even when on the inverter.)

It's probably a matter of the choice of inverter: what inverter does the Phaeton have? We have Magnum inverters, which have two output circuits: one goes to the microwave, and the other goes to most of the outlets. Each of these outputs have their own breakers on the side of the inverter. Other inverter setups have a single higher capacity output, that then goes to a small breaker panel which then feeds the various circuits. I suppose those are easier to route to all of the outlets, since the load can be split to various strings without having to send all of the inverter power down a single circuit.

In my case, the non-inverter outlets are all in one slide, and all of the outlets in that slide are not on the inverter. I figured that was because they didn't want to run a second circuit through the flexible umbilical to that slide.

But in your case, you have several circuits going to that big full-wall slide: one from the inverter, plus the bedroom circuit (breaker 3A) plus the refrigerator (breaker 6B.) So it's not just a matter of not wanting to run additional wires. In fact, in your case, each of the non-inverter outlets has an inverter outlet very nearby (the TV in the bedroom, and the icemaker next to the dining table.)

I suppose it's just the way they decided to break up the circuits. I guess they thought that people wouldn't really be needing any appliances in the bedroom that work off of the inverter? That's unfortunate for those people who need to run a CPAP at night, or who want to adjust their SleepNumber bed in the middle of the night, or want to plug in a phone to charge on their nightstand. (Those last two apply to me -- I put in a 12V outlet on the side of the bed so I could charge my phone, and I just make sure I've adjusted the bed properly before shutting down the generator in the evening. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
What difference in power draw on a converter/inverter if you have 10 outlets or 15 outlets connected. You still have the same amount of appliances you use. You don't have something plugged into every outlet and turned on.
There are electrical codes that limit the number of outlets that are allowed on a circuit. We might know that you can't run everything at once, but there are plenty of people in this world who would plug in everything possible, and run them all at the same time, and as long as it doesn't immediately burst into flames they assume it's safe.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter