Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2021, 11:38 AM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yep, I'm waiting to hear if Chef Guy has tried that.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2021, 07:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Yep, I'm waiting to hear if Chef Guy has tried that.
I bet he's cooking something up, get it " Chef Guy " cooking.
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:56 AM   #17

Hope it's not rat stew !
Old 06-29-2021, 09:22 AM   #18

Troubleshooting inverter

If you have 13 volts DC at the battery connector of the inverter, then the batteries are OK. Or... You are still connected to shore power or generator.

You need precision voltage readings for best results. 13.0 volts means batteries are OK. Even 12.7 is OK. 13.3, 13.6, or 14.4 means charger is working. A cheap digital voltmeter will work. In many inverter/charger systems, charger is switched off when inverter is switched "on".

Depending on design of inverter/charger, if charger is "on" then inverter is switched "off". Disconnect shore power or shut down generator and see what happens.

Solar power can also produce higher voltages on battery terminals, but in all cases, battery bank voltage of 13.0 volts means batteries are OK.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:34 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Reverse the terminal on one end of a new RJ11 phone cable (even a short one). You'll need a new RJ11 terminal and crimper.
Plug the new cable directly into your inverter and then remove your remote from the cabinet and plug it into the cable in the basement.
Then turn on the invert portion of the inverter.

Yes, the inverter will invert without a remote, but not if the invert function is turned off.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:42 AM   #20

I'm 'almost' tempted to unplug my remote (at the inverter), shut down shore power, and see if it automatically switches the inverter on.

But then I think "Gee, what if something goes sideways, and I end up in the same position as Chef Guy "
Old 06-29-2021, 01:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Reverse the terminal on one end of a new RJ11 phone cable (even a short one). You'll need a new RJ11 terminal and crimper.
Plug the new cable directly into your inverter and then remove your remote from the cabinet and plug it into the cable in the basement.
Then turn on the invert portion of the inverter.

Yes, the inverter will invert without a remote, but not if the invert function is turned off.
Vito,

Thank you Vito for problem solving so accurately. I had tried the new cable, but without reversing one end for the inverter, as you so rightly told me to do. After buying some RJ-11 ends, (I already own enough RJ-45's to choke a horse) and using my crimping tool, I took 'er out there and connected the remote and VOILA, she is reading beautifully again. Thank you again Vito! I couldn't believe how easy it is to make RJ-11 ends compared to the nightmarish Cat 6 cable ends that I have been doing for years for my security cameras.

Now just have to find out how to snake in the new RJ11 cable up to the hall bathroom area from underneath the motorhome (the old cable seems to be routed via the roof somehow) change out another GFCI in the separate bathroom, and I should be good to go...for now!

I assume that it is more rodent damage (rats) as we have been inundated with the buggers this past winter.

Thank you again for all your help
Chef Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 02:06 PM   #22

Good to hear you got it sorted !
Old 06-29-2021, 03:08 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Remove the plywood ceiling cover in the basement compartment. It is held on with several screws. You should then see the propane line routing. It enters the main cabin under the refrigerator (assuming you have or had a Norcold).
You should be able to route the RJ-11 cord from the basement the same way. Ours has some black molding putty around the propane line plugging the hole.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 04:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Remove the plywood ceiling cover in the basement compartment. It is held on with several screws. You should then see the propane line routing. It enters the main cabin under the refrigerator (assuming you have or had a Norcold).
You should be able to route the RJ-11 cord from the basement the same way. Ours has some black molding putty around the propane line plugging the hole.
Vito,

No plywood ceiling on the '06's. Just the white plastic one piece impossible to remove plastic cover.

I do remember seeing some RJ-11's and some terminal connections/extensions on the passenger side rear area where the holding tanks are. There is no access door here, but there are 2 hinges under the side panel that can be removed to see inside. Will sneak a peek tomorrow and find out if that is doable or not.

Thanks again Vito for your logical thinking!
Chef Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:30 PM   #25

Ha!

The rest of us were illogical thinkers !
Old 06-30-2021, 04:17 AM   #26

Chef guy: are you okay in that heat? 120 is very dangerous.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 06:35 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
First just try replacing the ends on the existing cable or get a tester to test the cable with the ends. I have seen many that have bad connections at the ends.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:56 PM   #28

I just read that most of the homes in Chef Guy's village are all burnt. I hope he is alright
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, led