Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2021, 07:24 PM   #29

My Magnum 2812 Inverter was doing something very similar, green light flashing on inverter and remote, charging batteries just fine, showed to be inverting, but only 7.5 volts ac voltage. The FET board was fried. Just exchanged it for a refurbished one at the repair shop.
RPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2021, 02:11 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
first things first...kill the rats.
Old 07-06-2021, 03:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak1 View Post
first things first...kill the rats.
Done! And the 4 commercial size rat traps will sit outside by the motorhome for the foreseeable future.

Getting rid of the 2 bird feeders also helped. Birds never did appreciate it (they always flew away when I went outside of the house to say hi) and the feeders only attracted rats.
Chef Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 03:20 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Guy View Post
As I sit here boiling in Arizona temperatures up in the Wet Coast of Canada (high of 46 C. just north of here in Lytton, BC), my inverter has me gobsmacked.

I took it out of the coach because it was charging the batteries but not inverting DC into AC. Tested all of the GFCI's and they seemed okay, and looked at all of the fuses I could find, both on the inverter and on the coach, and all seemed fine.

I took the Magnum ME 2012 Inverter to an authorized Magnum repair facility close by and they could find nothing wrong with it. It was putting out AC and there were no error codes on the remote panel.

I tested all 4 of my 6 volt batteries and tested the voltage where it enters the inverter. All above 6 volts at the each battery source and above 13 volts where it enters the inverter. Specific gravity was all excellent in all cells. Batteries are 4 years old.

So, what else could it be?

My first guess would be rat chewing damage, as they have done a number on 3 vehicles on our driveway (air lines, gas lines, windshield wiper fluid tanks, CV boots, even my underground sprinkler system that has black poly pipe that they have chewed holes into.)

If it were the rats, and I am leaning that way more than ever now, where do I look between the inverter and the remote? All that connects the two is the telephone cable. But Magnum says that the inverter will invert DC to AC without the remote. So if the remote telephone cable had been chewed, it would still work.

Could it still be the batteries? How does one "load test" the batteries? I have never done that one before. They seem to be okay extending and retracting the big slides disconnected from the inverter.

Anyways, other than more rat chewing holes to look for, it remains a mystery.

Last question first. How do you load test the batteries? As a practical matter put a load on them and see what the voltage does. Doesn't doesn't take a fancy computer just to voltmeter.

Back to the remote. I suppose that the remote being absent wouldn't prevent it from working but without the remote how would you be turning it on to invert? Maybe take the panel out dismount it get a short phone cable and I thought those were six lead or three pair cables but I might be mistaken. Get a shorter cable run and go down to your compartment and plug it in and check it. Although if they are display is giving you all the ordinary responses as in you touch the big wheel and the lights come on and the readings read then you touch the DC charge and it will show you the DC charges enabled or disabled and I'm saying that assuming you're on the generator at the moment,. Then turn the generator off and it should give you nothing for charging and when you push the button for invert it should tell you that you are inverting DC. If it's not telling you that then I would suspect it's just a communications shortcoming with the wire back to the inverter which thankfully is really easy to get to in my rig.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:14 AM   #33

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Guy View Post
As I sit here boiling in Arizona temperatures up in the Wet Coast of Canada (high of 46 C. just north of here in Lytton, BC), my inverter has me gobsmacked.

I took it out of the coach because it was charging the batteries but not inverting DC into AC. Tested all of the GFCI's and they seemed okay, and looked at all of the fuses I could find, both on the inverter and on the coach, and all seemed fine.

I took the Magnum ME 2012 Inverter to an authorized Magnum repair facility close by and they could find nothing wrong with it. It was putting out AC and there were no error codes on the remote panel.

I tested all 4 of my 6 volt batteries and tested the voltage where it enters the inverter. All above 6 volts at the each battery source and above 13 volts where it enters the inverter. Specific gravity was all excellent in all cells. Batteries are 4 years old.

So, what else could it be?

My first guess would be rat chewing damage, as they have done a number on 3 vehicles on our driveway (air lines, gas lines, windshield wiper fluid tanks, CV boots, even my underground sprinkler system that has black poly pipe that they have chewed holes into.)

If it were the rats, and I am leaning that way more than ever now, where do I look between the inverter and the remote? All that connects the two is the telephone cable. But Magnum says that the inverter will invert DC to AC without the remote. So if the remote telephone cable had been chewed, it would still work.

Could it still be the batteries? How does one "load test" the batteries? I have never done that one before. They seem to be okay extending and retracting the big slides disconnected from the inverter.

Anyways, other than more rat chewing holes to look for, it remains a mystery.

Chef guy, check your ecm power panel. If it doesn’t see enough amperage it will shunt circuits to avoid burning any of the system. The ecm is your power control panel, ours is in the hallway.
redworm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, led