Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2021, 08:53 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Inverter question

Hi
I'm right in the middle of replacing my RV refrigerator and I'm replacing it with a residential refrigerator. I have read in several places on the web that the inverter in most cases should power the "Ice maker" receptacle. I have noticed on my motorhome that is not the case. My motorhome had two receptacles located behind the RV refrigerator, I removed the one marked "Ice maker" being that the only power needed is 120 volts for the residential refrigerator. Today I was checking the electrical and noticed that I don't have power from the inverter for the residential refrigerator which is not what I wanted. Doing a test on the system I noticed that only "kitchen side" is powered by the inverter . I know that I have read in several blogs that motorhome and RV owners have had power from the inverter in the refrigerator compartment. I'm wondering what other motorhome owners have done when they replaced their old RV refrigerator with a residential refrigerator. How are you supplying electrical power to your residential refrigerator
Any information would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Frank
Quick68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2021, 08:59 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Ours also was not inverter powered when I did the conversion.

The old refrigerator was on a dedicated circuit I added a PSW inverter just for the new refrigerator since existing inverter was MSW.
Below was the process involved in the electrical upgrade.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/spr...ml#post4958341
Old 06-16-2021, 09:10 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Frank, one of the outlets in the fridge compartment should be inverter-powered, the other not. If you're not getting 120VAC to one of them, it's probably the inverter outlet and a breaker is tripped.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:13 AM   #4

The ice maker outlet would have been the inverter powers outlet.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:40 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I left both receptacles in place but marked them as Inverter & Shore. I have the refrigerator plugged into the inverter outlet so it can be operated while driving down the road or while not plugged in.

If I were to be parked for an extended period of time I could move the plug to the shore outlet as a backup if something happened to the inverter or batteries.

What make/model refrigerator did you install. Some models work well on MSW inverters others don't. I installed a Samsung which is known to work on the inverter.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:53 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Frank, one of the outlets in the fridge compartment should be inverter-powered, the other not. If you're not getting 120VAC to one of them, it's probably the inverter outlet and a breaker is tripped.

Hi Joe,
I checked all of the breakers and I checked the Inverter. From what I have learned on the web is that everything that is connected to inverter is NOT connected to the main power panel which I double checked and appears to be true. In my main power panel there is NO breaker for the microwave, nor any of the power receptacles in the kitchen side of the motorhome, which backs up the theory that everything that has a breaker in the main power panel is NOT connected through the inverter. So what it seems like I will have to do is tap a line in from the inverter over to the refrigerator and remove one of the circuits in the inverter, most likely the microwave oven. I can do with out the microwave over while in motion, but I can do without the refrigerator.
any thoughts?
Thanks
Frank
Old 06-16-2021, 09:59 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I left both receptacles in place but marked them as Inverter & Shore. I have the refrigerator plugged into the inverter outlet so it can be operated while driving down the road or while not plugged in.

If I were to be parked for an extended period of time I could move the plug to the shore outlet as a backup if something happened to the inverter or batteries.

What make/model refrigerator did you install. Some models work well on MSW inverters others don't. I installed a Samsung which is known to work on the inverter.

Hi
I installed a GE refrigerator. The Samsung refrigerator was not available at the time of purchases

GE 33 in. W 18.6 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator in Slate, Counter Depth, Fingerprint Resistant
Store SKU # 1002918197
Internet # 303345831
Model # GWE19JMLES
Old 06-16-2021, 10:14 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick68 View Post
Hi
My motorhome had two receptacles located behind the RV refrigerator, I removed the one marked "Ice maker" being that the only power needed is 120 volts for the residential refrigerator.
Thanks
Frank
What do you mean by "My motorhome had two receptacles located behind the RV refrigerator, I removed the one marked "Ice maker" being that the only power needed is 120 volts for the residential refrigerator."
It's generally helpful to state the year and type of rig you're working on.
Not sure if all monacos are configured like mine, but I have two breaker panels. One of them , let's call it the "main" breaker panel, is where shore power feeds in, and there are breakers in the main panel for all of the NON-inverted loads like AC, aquahot, etc...
Two of the breakers in the main panel feed shore power out to the inverter, then power from the inverter (inverter power and pass-through shore power) comes back and feeds into the 2nd breaker panel. Then this 2nd panel has breakers for all of the inverted loads.
If you've only got a NON-inverted circuit going behind the refrigerator, maybe you could pull that circuit out of the main breaker panel and move it over to the inverted panel. But I'm curious about that receptacle that you said you removed.
Cheers,
Walter
Old 06-16-2021, 10:18 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Joe,
I checked all of the breakers and I checked the Inverter. From what I have learned on the web is that everything that is connected to inverter is NOT connected to the main power panel which I double checked and appears to be true. In my main power panel there is NO breaker for the microwave, nor any of the power receptacles in the kitchen side of the motorhome, which backs up the theory that everything that has a breaker in the main power panel is NOT connected through the inverter. So what it seems like I will have to do is tap a line in from the inverter over to the refrigerator and remove one of the circuits in the inverter, most likely the microwave oven. I can do with out the microwave over while in motion, but I can do without the refrigerator.
any thoughts?
Thanks
Frank
I should have said to check the breakers on the inverter, not the main panel.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:42 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamcneil View Post
What do you mean by "My motorhome had two receptacles located behind the RV refrigerator, I removed the one marked "Ice maker" being that the only power needed is 120 volts for the residential refrigerator."
It's generally helpful to state the year and type of rig you're working on.
Not sure if all monacos are configured like mine, but I have two breaker panels. One of them , let's call it the "main" breaker panel, is where shore power feeds in, and there are breakers in the main panel for all of the NON-inverted loads like AC, aquahot, etc...
Two of the breakers in the main panel feed shore power out to the inverter, then power from the inverter (inverter power and pass-through shore power) comes back and feeds into the 2nd breaker panel. Then this 2nd panel has breakers for all of the inverted loads.
If you've only got a NON-inverted circuit going behind the refrigerator, maybe you could pull that circuit out of the main breaker panel and move it over to the inverted panel. But I'm curious about that receptacle that you said you removed.
Cheers,
Walter

Hi Walter
Sorry. The motorhome is a 2007 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
What I removed was the receptacle marked Ice Maker" I didn't take the circuit out because this same circuit that comes in to the refrigerator cabinet and continues through the wall to the receptacles above the couch in the living room. There is a breaker in the main panel for this circuit. Its identified in the main breaker panel as "Master bedroom" If I disconnect power to the motorhome and turn on the inverter there is no power to any of these two electrical outlets (refrigerator and master bedroom). So like I mentioned before from what I have read so far: if the circuit has a breaker in the main power panel....It is NOT connected to the INVERTER?
If that theory is correct, then all the circuits that entered the refrigerator cabinet are NOT connected to the inverter. I will have to run another circuit from the inverter over to refrigerator so the refrigerator can have 120 volts AC while in motion. I need power to the refrigerator on the long trips to my campsite.
Any thoughts?
Thanks Frank
Old 06-16-2021, 02:49 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I should have said to check the breakers on the inverter, not the main panel.
Hi Joe,
OK. I'm not sure where to look for the breakers from the Inverter? I can't recall if I have ever seen any breakers identified from the inverter. My Motorhome is a 2007 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
any information would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Frank
Old 06-16-2021, 02:55 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Joe,
OK. I'm not sure where to look for the breakers from the Inverter? I can't recall if I have ever seen any breakers identified from the inverter. My Motorhome is a 2007 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
any information would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Frank
These should be on the inverter.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:33 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The ice maker outlet would have been the inverter powers outlet.

Hi Twinboat
That is what I thought too. But after checking both the electrical panel and the inverter I have found that apparently my "two circuits" located in the refrigerator compartment are not connected to the inverter. What I have found is if it has a breaker in the main panel it is NOT connected to the inverter. Which makes sense in a way. But I would have thought there would have been a breaker located somewhere?

Any thoughts?
Thanks Frank
Old 06-16-2021, 04:02 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Does your Camelot have two separate circuit breaker load centers?
Usually they are next to each other. One is the main breaker load center and the other is the inverter load center.
The inverter load center should power the TV/video cabinet, bedroom night stand, the refrigerator ice maker, and possibly two more outlets.

Also, the inverter should have one or two small white push in circuit breakers on the side. The inverter will be mounted to the basement compartment ceiling. The white push in breaker may be difficult to see and require crawling into the compartment.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter