Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2021, 09:51 PM   #1

Inverter Question

I have some basic questions regarding my coach that I’ve never asked anyone. First, when set up in a no shore power situation, I run the generator until I reach 100% charge on house batteries. This is at bedtime. Then I switch on the inverter to get me through the night using minimal lights. At 7am I am at 34%. Seems normal. What if I was to run the house batteries down to 0 %? I’m assuming the generator would bring them back up to 100% in a couple hours. If I was to just go off batteries without the inverter would it drain the house batteries quicker? Also am I correct in assuming the generator uses the chassis batteries to start? I don’t boon dock very often, but want to know the best procedure.
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2021, 10:34 PM   #2

I’m thinking running the inverter will drain house bats quicker than just using battery power for evening lights.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:37 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBunker View Post
I’m thinking running the inverter will drain house bats quicker than just using battery power for evening lights.
You are correct.

An inverter draws power even if nothing is being used.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:52 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBunker View Post
I have some basic questions regarding my coach that I’ve never asked anyone. First, when set up in a no shore power situation, I run the generator until I reach 100% charge on house batteries. This is at bedtime. Then I switch on the inverter to get me through the night using minimal lights. At 7am I am at 34%. Seems normal. What if I was to run the house batteries down to 0 %? I’m assuming the generator would bring them back up to 100% in a couple hours. If I was to just go off batteries without the inverter would it drain the house batteries quicker? Also am I correct in assuming the generator uses the chassis batteries to start? I don’t boon dock very often, but want to know the best procedure.
As mentioned, just having your inverter on, with nothing else, will deplete your batteries. So if boondocking, leave the inverter off unless it's energizing something you need.

You didn't mention what type of house batteries you have. It's best not to deplete wet cell batteries below 50%. How are you reading the 34%? What is the voltage reading?

You mention running the batteries down to 0%. What voltage are you thinking/seeing? Quick rule of thumb is not to run the voltage below 12 volts very often.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:13 AM   #5

First, running the generator to bring batteries to 100% is a waste of fuel (unless running the generator for A/C or other reasons).

Running below 50% materially shortens battery life.

If an overnight with conservative use takes them down to 34% you either need a larger battery bank, or the current batteries have diminished capacity. Identify and fix this.

If running a generator just to charge batteries, most efficient use of the generator is to discharge the batteries to 50%, then recharge to around 85%. Above 85%, you are putting very few amps into the batteries. Perhaps once a week, yes, you need to charge them all the way up so that they don't loose capacity.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:22 AM   #6

"What if I was to run the house batteries down to 0 %? I’m assuming the generator would bring them back up to 100% in a couple hours."

Whether you draw down to 80% or 0% it takes 10 to 14 hours to fully charge lead acid batteries. That strange behavior applies to most lead acid batteries.

On the other hand, you can put lots of power in very fast with a big charger at low SoC levels. The first 4 hours of charging a fully discharged lead acid battery can put 80% charge in. It depends on battery design and charger capacity.

Power absorption decreases with SoC level. It decreases to almost nothing as SoC level reaches nearly 100%

"If I was to just go off batteries without the inverter would it drain the house batteries quicker?"

Turn the inverter "off" to maximize battery capacity.

As posted above. Inverters consume power whenever turned on. Even when nothing is connected to the output they still consume power. Small inverters consume a little. Large inverters consume a lot.

RV inverters do not power 12 volt appliances. They convert 12 volt DC battery power into 120 volts AC. You may use the inverter to power a 120 volt coffee maker or microwave.

An inverter is usually not needed for lights, furnace, or water pump.

"Also am I correct in assuming the generator uses the chassis batteries to start?"

Different RV's are designed differently. Many start the generator from the house batteries and allow using a "boost" button to start from the chassis battery.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:28 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I installed a residential refrigerator so I have to run the inverter to keep it powered.

I had checked all my batteries ~7 weeks ago before a trip and they seemed find. I am now on an extended trip out west. I was starting to see some strange readings on the inverter for % charge so I checked the house batteries again and found one with lower voltage and one of the cells had lower Specific gravity on they hydrometer.

Luckily I was near a Sam's Club in Rapid City SD and they had 4 new batteries that they installed for me. That solved the problem

Now after driving all day the batteries will be +95% and at the state of charge will last all night long running my fridge and still be ~70% when I wake up.

If I am just parked leaving the inverter on all day my batteries will deplete to ~65% (I have 325 watt of solar and on a sunny day will actually gain).

Last night when I got back from a day of sightseeing the coach was ~90F inside so I started the generator at ~7PM and ran it for 2 hours with both AC running at which point it was dusk and cooled down to ~75F outside so I shut off the generator and opened windows. The batteries were charged to 93%. This morning when I got up they were at 70%.

If your inverter is no on your batteries should last a long time just using lights. If inverter is on it will draw power even without a load but you do have parasitic type loads anyway.

I'd check your batteries to confirm condition. If in doubt change them.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:43 AM   #8

"Running below 50% materially shortens battery life."

This is not true. Many lead acid deep draw battery designs can get 300 or so deep discharges as long as they are fully charged 10 to 14 hours before storage. Discharging to 50% gets you 600 or so discharges.

However, putting a given amount of power back into a 50% SoC battery takes longer than putting the same amount of power back in to a 30% SoC battery. Power absorption decreases as SoC increases.

"If an overnight with conservative use takes them down to 34% you either need a larger battery bank, or the current batteries have diminished capacity. Identify and fix this."

Don't worry. No "fix" is required. 34% is well within battery design capability.

You could get twice as many recharge cycles but you need twice as much battery capacity to do it. That means twice as much weight and space used for batteries and twice as much upfront cost to install.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:30 PM   #9

Thank you everyone for clearing up a few questions.

Tags
inverter