Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2021, 03:29 PM   #1

Inverter wiring

I have a 1997 holiday rambler imperial 40 ft. With a Zantrac 2000 watt mod. Sine wave inverter. I was wondering how this is fed and where it's fed from. I see in the main panel on position 6 there is a 20 Amp switch labeled inverter. What does this switch do exactly? And does it connect to the auto. Transfer switch. Or does it connect from the second 50 Amp leg from the shore/ gen power. Can I replace the lower me echanism inside of the box instead of buying a whole new box. Can I just replace the faulty lower mechanism? Just wondering..
THE ALAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2021, 03:51 PM   #2

Please provide the model number of your Xantrex inverter. I have a Xantrex RS2000, which is a true sine wave inverter. There is no support for this old obsolete model; however I've contacted a couple of authorized repair shops that say they do still have some NOS parts. Authorized repair shops are listed on the Xantrex website.

Nothing inside the inverter box is user serviceable per the owners manual, which may be downloaded from: https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/electrical/RS2000.php

I think your 20A breaker in the main panel provides pass-through power to the inverter from shore power, or the onboard genset, when it is running. This will be explained in the downloadable manuals in the 2nd link.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 04:12 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Likely, the 20 amp breaker in the main panel feeds the inverter, and the inverter then feeds a sub panel. Without knowing what is powered by the inverter, it’s kinda tough to determine how many breakers are in the sub panel. It won’t feed the transfer switch, or be fed directly from the shore power or generator.. it will be fed from that 20 amp breaker in position 6. Your inverter will “pass thru” power for the sub panel it operates. Who knows, maybe there isn’t a sub panel, and the inverter directly feeds on circuit.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I would recommend you try and find a wiring schematic for you coach. If you have the original paper copy of the operator manual they may be in there.

Not sure on your coach but this is how my Xantrex RV2012 is wired.

In my case there are two 20 amp breakers in my main service panel. These actually provide power to the inverter. My inverter has two pass through circuits that in turn supply power to the inverter subpanel which is located next to the main service panel. If I am plugged in to shore power or running the generator the 120 volt power actually just passes through the inverter and supplies power to the circuits. If I am not plugged in and I turn the inverter on it supplies power to the circuits.

All this was pretty much Greek to me when I purchased this coach but over the last 13 years I've become very familiar with pretty much every aspect of the coach. I developed an extensive data base on almost every component in the motorhome which included parts lists, operating manuals, and troubleshooting guides. I've suggested that everyone take the time to do the same thing.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 09:41 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
You should have a Trace Freedom 20 inverter. They were later bought out by Xantrex.
It is fed AC current from the main breaker box which is fed from the transfer switch. The transfer switch can supply currrent from either shore power or the generator.
The inverter then passes current through a separate breaker box to various circuits.

Your inverter can also supply 120v to these circuits by inverting 12v from the house batteries. Additionally the inverter charges the batteries using AC current from either shore power or the generator.

Now to be clear are you trying to replace the inverter?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:25 PM   #6

Thanks all for those accurate directions . I love these forums. Incredible amount of knowledge from ther veteran rvers!!!
I want to update the inverter. The control panel inside the house is in operable. She thing doesn't react how or when it supposed to. I heard that these types of inverter are looked for by electronics people who work on inverters as well. ???
9m hoping I can manage a 3000 to 5000 watt constant inverter pure Sine. And I'm not buying American. the magnums and the xantrex are really solid as is the new aims inverters as well, but there are many inverters from over seas that are q third of the cost and built just as well ft better o. Some instances as the xantrex and magnums may be short a bell or whistle but they are solid and one third if the cost..

Now to the last paragraph in Original post I didn't explain what it was I was refering to so allow me to elaborate.

In My automatic transfer switch by progressive dynamics has the two so called switches inside them . And i do believe the bottom. Switch is not working . Can those be replaced In stead of buying the whole dam box...
Old 11-16-2021, 11:04 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have the battery bank and wire capacity to handle a 3000 to 5000 watt inverter?
The problem with off shore inverters is one small part fails and there are no parts available.
I'd recommend using a Magnum inverter as they have repair centers and parts all over the US.

Call or email Progressive Dynamics with the model number of your switch and ask about parts.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:11 AM   #8

I was able to obtain a relay for my Lyght brand ATS used #s got it on eBay $40.
The newest Victron or Magnum have dual 50 amp passthrough . This makes it nicer to wire inline to original coach 120/240 - 50 amp wiring. The 12v cables and their fuses would need upgrading. A lot of lower cost inverters are over rated watt wise , not as robust and don't charge batteries, this can be worked around but a challenge as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ALAMO View Post
Thanks all for those accurate directions . I love these forums. Incredible amount of knowledge from ther veteran rvers!!!
I want to update the inverter. The control panel inside the house is in operable. She thing doesn't react how or when it supposed to. I heard that these types of inverter are looked for by electronics people who work on inverters as well. ???
9m hoping I can manage a 3000 to 5000 watt constant inverter pure Sine. And I'm not buying American. the magnums and the xantrex are really solid as is the new aims inverters as well, but there are many inverters from over seas that are q third of the cost and built just as well ft better o. Some instances as the xantrex and magnums may be short a bell or whistle but they are solid and one third if the cost..

Now to the last paragraph in Original post I didn't explain what it was I was refering to so allow me to elaborate.

In My automatic transfer switch by progressive dynamics has the two so called switches inside them . And i do believe the bottom. Switch is not working . Can those be replaced In stead of buying the whole dam box...
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 04:41 AM   #9

Vito you are right on point with me here! Thanks . Keep grilling me about this. You are making me think about the nit so obvious points to consider.
Old 11-25-2021, 04:45 AM   #10

I have 4, 6 volt Deka batteries for the house side.i believe they are rated at 200/ah.. i need to replace the battery isolater relay as well. Check my alternator to see uf the output is optimal. Its a duvac 160 amp. I believe that went out and needs repaired.(3 months old) what would be your recomendation for battery recomenadtions with a higher inverter wattage?
Also need to replace fuel shutoff selinoid AND rebuild the starter. And thanks for the info on progressive dynamics ats parts. Wow..
Old 11-25-2021, 04:56 AM   #11

Vito dum question but gotta ask. Can the inverter supply power back to theain breaker box? Or does it go directly to certain circuits that could poasibly be labeled inside the house in certain areas? Asking for a friend...
Old 11-25-2021, 05:01 AM   #12

And yes it is an old trace freedom 20 inverter. And somehow the control panel inside the house does not work anymore. Not sure why. It runs intermittantly. Like when im back there i will smack it!! Lol .
Old 11-25-2021, 06:11 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I hope this doesn't confuse more than it helps (it's a diagram for my Coach - but they all pretty similar) This is a typical wiring diagram showing Gen/Shore power going to the transfer switch, and that 120VAC power coming from transfer switch going to internal circuit breaker panel and finally to Inverter.

So the Inverter gets power "from" the internal circuit breaker. That breaker (30A in the drawing) "feeds" the Inverter (the blue colored wire). If you are plugged into Shore Power or are running the Generator - that 120VAC power goes to your Inverter and "pass through" to provide power to those circuits the Inverter feeds.

If you don't have 120VAC available, the Inverter is fed from your batteries. In this case no power is at the circuit breaker (if there was it would be feeding back to the transfer switch so wouldn't do anything).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shore Power or Generator power to Inverter.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	349790  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 06:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ALAMO View Post
And yes it is an old trace freedom 20 inverter. And somehow the control panel inside the house does not work anymore. Not sure why. It runs intermittantly. Like when im back there i will smack it!! Lol .
Sounds like an issue at the control panel switch or connection. You could just repair that and likely be good, unless you need/want a bigger capacity and/or the pure sine wave.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, wiring