Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #1

Is 250HP in a 34 footer enough?

Anyone out there with experience in a 250HP 34 footer 1996 vintage Monaco Dynasty? I have read the posts about HP to weight etc., but actual experience and performance would be helpful. I know 300HP in a 38 foot one is OK. Would the 250HP equate to like performance considering the drop in weight of the coach? Thanks
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2013, 06:38 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
It will get you anyplace you want to go. With great MPG.
If it has a 6 speed Allison then you could add a Banks kit later if you feel it is needed.

It probably is in, a less then 25K chassis and has more then 1 HP per 100 lbs.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It's torque not HP that propels a MH....
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #4

I had a Cummins 250 in my last DP that was 37 feet and towed a car all over the country, just be ready to go up mountains very slowly. other than that it got great mileage most of the time
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot
Anyone out there with experience in a 250HP 34 footer 1996 vintage Monaco Dynasty? I have read the posts about HP to weight etc., but actual experience and performance would be helpful. I know 300HP in a 38 foot one is OK. Would the 250HP equate to like performance considering the drop in weight of the coach? Thanks
It's all about your expectations isn't it. I'm sure someone will correct me, but I don't think you can get anything smaller than a 250hp diesel in a MH so......you can't expect much! If you're expectations are low you'll be more than happy, on the other hand if you're planning to spend a lot of time in the Rockies....pack a lunch.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #6

Triker56 nailed it! That 5.9 is the little engine that could. Mine started life as a 230HP. in my '97 Dodge dually. With minimal expense it is now about 330.

The coach in my sig is another story. It is about 240 according to the previous owner (whom I believe). If so, I am more than happy and will not touch the engine, period. I've gone fast, pulled hard and flogged other coaches I have owned. This one is all I need and delivers a consistent 9.5 MPG., I know I'll get flamed but it is true.

As was said, expectations are what its all about, you can't be the first one to the top of the hill without paying the price. Me, I'll take second or third and enjoy the benefits of a fuel efficient engine.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #7

I believe there were two 250HP C8.3 in one listing I saw. One was 660 and the other was 800. Certainly the 800 would be most desirable. Some of the Monaco Dynasty's in the 90s had the 250hp. Don't know what the torque was however. But since this is a Monaco owners forum thought someone might be running one on a dynasty. Maybe I should have posted under Class A motorhomes for a bigger audience. Thanks
Old 04-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Depends on how big a hurry you are in getting up the hills. In years past truckers dragged 80,000 lbs all over the country with 250 ponies. Just keep your RPMs up on the hills, rear back in the seat and sing " ON THE ROAD AGAIN". You probably will not be over an hour behind your buddy with 350 HP at the end of the day.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot View Post
I have the same engine. I'm not sure if what I say helps. The previous owner had installed a Banks Stinger kit. That may indicate that the previous owner found it to be a bit short on power. I do know that now it has absolutely no shortage of power. We are very pleased with the power. Mileage runs between 7 to 8 mpg, depending on conditions and driving habits.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
It's torque not HP that propels a MH....
I thought it was torque that got it moving, and HP kept it there.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #11

HP = Speed and Torque = pulling power
joekud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:47 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot View Post
I believe there were two 250HP C8.3 in one listing I saw. One was 660 and the other was 800. Certainly the 800 would be most desirable. Some of the Monaco Dynasty's in the 90s had the 250hp. Don't know what the torque was however. But since this is a Monaco owners forum thought someone might be running one on a dynasty. Maybe I should have posted under Class A motorhomes for a bigger audience. Thanks
The C8.3 engine would have a minimum torque of 800 ft.lb., regardless of horsepower. The listing for the 250 HP engine with 660 ft.lb of torque is the B series engine, which is the 5.9 engine.

From personal experience with the Cummins C8.3 engine with the Allison 6 speed transmission. 4th gear is high gear. 5th and 6th gear are overdrive gears. When I climb a 6% or 7% grade, very quickly I find the transmission in 4th gear, which means I'm going to climb the hill at about 45 miles per hour. If the grade increases, or the exhaust temperature rises too high, I can end up in 3rd gear, which means I'm going to climb the hill at about 35 miles per hour.

The C8.3 engine is fairly easy to increase the horsepower. Some claim seeing 375 horsepower and 950 ft. lb torque. After spending quite a bit of money and hours of work to get the engine horsepower where you want it to be, you will probably improve my speed going up the grade by a couple of miles per hour.

Also remember, that on these kinds of grades, you have to be able to control the coach going down. Between the Pac Brake, the Allison transmission and the wheel brakes, you will have to control the coach speed at about 45 miles per hour going down the grade. Anything faster than that is reckless in my opinion.

I find on these grades ,that I can do whatever the majority of big trucks can do, so I just fall in behind one and follow it up and down the grade.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #13

I found a on line source for the Cummins 5.9 and 8.3 engines, both computer and non computer controlled. Each model engine had a page devoted to listing the various HP and torques. 4 pages, two for 5.9 computer controlled and mechanical and likewise for the 8.3. On the mechanical page for the 8.3 it shows two 250 Hp engines with the different torque as I mentioned. The lower torque engine was rated at 2400rpm, the higher torque engine was at 2200rpm. Along with my initial query I wonder if there is any way to tell which torque is in a given 250hp engine. Another words any thing visual to look for other than some sort of plaque or decal? Thanks.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
250 Cummins

I just returned from a trip with my 32' HR DP. Going I got 11.4 mpg pulling my Jetta on a dolly. Returning I got 10.6 mpg, but I used the dash air and had a pretty hard head wind. The 250 has plenty of torque for me and it'll run faster than I have the money to buy fuel with.

Owen
Florida
01 HR Ambassador DP
Gearshift39 is offline   Reply With Quote