Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2015, 03:15 PM   #15

Being the daughter, sister and aunt of Pro drivers I do miss some of the old courtesy
I can tell you that large company's, like my nephews drive for, suggest that their drivers be very wary of RVs. As they don't feel lots of us are safe in our driving habits. We always travel with all our lights on so my only option is to flash the highbeams. As previously posted that might be a glare issue in the truckers mirror which I hadn't thought of.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I have a "smart wheel" and it has a "blink" built into it.
I use this in heavy rain to let the trucker know "I" am ready
for him to pull back over.
When the weather is clear, I feel it is better to let the trucker
drive his own rig.

Canadian vehicles have driving lights on all the time.
I just wish all vehicles had the same.
Unfortunately a lot of people do not turn lights on in heavy rain.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:29 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Most of the guys driving Class A RVs have no idea what the flasher buttons do, and why they have 2!

We took a 6000 mile round trip from Texas to Alberta this year and I too was surprised at how many truckers did not flash in most places. In Texas, it is still very common. I'd say 7-8 out of 10 do flash me if I'm passing and return the thanks if I flash them.

As someone stated, it is NOT flashing high beams, but rather toggling the low beams on/off. Most class As have two buttons specifically to flash the low beams and marker lights. But, I don't recall ever seeing another RVer use them.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:36 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Use both of them regularly....
the wink of the front lights and the blink of the rears

And as far as lights on in the rain or at dusk?

it's a law that grey and black cars can NOT turn their lights on - at least it must be, because that's what it seems to me !!!!
Old 11-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The "New School" way is to send a text

Just kidding....On my freightliner, the Light Control module turns on the headlights full power for use as driving lights. This prevented any "blinking" of the headlights when the rig was moving.

I modified the system and added a blink button (tells the controller the parking brake is on) so I can blink the headlights. I use this both day and night.
With the Freightliner chassis I have, there is no way to use your headlights as a signaling method.

Everyone should also consider that during daylight, many RV's have driving lights. If the passing driver is not looking in the mirror at the exact time that you blink your headlights, they will not see your signal. This is usually not a problem at night.

Should we even start a rant about turn signals for lane changes

Regards,

Dan
Old 11-02-2015, 03:50 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post

Should we even start a rant about turn signals for lane changes
Ha! That drives me crazy. It has to be the height of laziness to not take 1 figure to move a little lever. I just don't get it. I can see young drivers (teenagers) thinking it's cool not to signal, but really... what's the deal?

There's always a lot of talk about truck drivers being aggressive and not liking RVers. But that has not been my experience - at least in Texas - where the legend says they are crazy. Almost all of them drive 65, are very cautious and professional. This is on the main interstates like I-45, I-10, I-20, I-35, etc.

Since we're getting the rants out... My other beefs are the drivers who feel that merging ONTO the interstate has the right of way; and my favorite, the car that blows by you only to return to your lane and slow down.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
I flash my lights for a semi only when needed. If there is someone behind the semi and he needs to pull in as soon as safe, to let the following vehicle have the lane, then I flash. But if the semi is just passing and has no reason to pull in early, I do not flash. He can safely pull back into my lane when we are far apart, no question.

ronspradley
that's what I d also
Old 11-02-2015, 04:13 PM   #22
YC1

I'm an old school flasher and still get some thank you's. If a truck blows by and I know he is going to have plenty of room I do not flash.

I suspect often they are busy handling the rig and just do not see me flash.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:44 AM   #23

I used to do it all the time also, but now I just do it if it looks like he needs it. Most of the trucks will pull in when they feel it is safe, not when you tell him to. I don't think there is necessarily a lot of trust given by the truckers to RVers. If they blink me in, I always make sure to thank them with a blink of my clearance lights.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:04 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I notice is varies a lot on location. Here near the city, nobody shows respects. As we travel away form here, we see more courtesy. Recently in rural Oregon, EVERYBODY we passed waved at us! I loved it. I started waving at everybody also....even back in the city areas...oh the looks! LOL
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:18 AM   #25

I just wink to all passers and if I get a return "thanks" it's a bonus. I feel it's just a helpful and safer method than let the passer assume they are clear. If it saves 1 mishap I have done my job.

Joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:47 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I read this thread earlier in the week - so it was fresh in my mind last night as I made the 150 mile drive halfway across the state to our dealership for some maintenance work. I didn't leave home until nearly 9 pm ... so it was dark for the all interstate along a relatively busy truck corridor drive. Virtually every one of the couple dozen semis that I passed flashed their lights to let me know it was safe to switch lanes as soon as I turned on blinker on. Gotta admit - I'm glad they did. I'm finding that my ability to judge the clearance in the mirrors after dark is not as good as it used to be. I'm happy when I see a trucker "tell" me they're OK with my moving back into their lane as confirmation.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:20 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I still use the indicators being referenced here (and turn signals) but have a question.

Should one flash your headlights when it is safe for the passing vehicle to change lanes OR should you wait until they turn their turn signal on?

My typical routine is to flash the headlights when safe. If they don't change lanes right away but then turn their turn signal on and start looking in their side mirror, I will flash my headlights again.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:39 AM   #28

Not picking on you JFNM, but I think this is exactly why most trucks don't do it anymore or react when you do. There is no consistency anymore even from the trucks to the trucks. JMO.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote