Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2015, 04:55 PM   #1

Is it not cool to signal anymore?

I always flash my lights when a semi or anything long passes me. But I only get a thank you reply flash maybe one out of 20 times. Also it is rare that others signal me when I pass them. Is signaling out of fashion now?
AtlantaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2015, 05:06 PM   #2

Flashing the headlights or "winking" the marker lights used to be routine, but somewhere along the way that failed to be taught to the next generation.

I installed a wink button in my truck, just for that reason, but seldom have the opportunity to use it.

Remember, we only need lose one generation to lose it all.

Pop
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:14 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
your right and we've lost a lot of good things.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:12 PM   #4

I asked a trucker what happened and he said the "new" generation truckers have no pride of being a professional driver. Just his opinion but it seemed reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Joe PLAZEK
Ontario Canada
Old 11-01-2015, 06:20 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaRick View Post
I always flash my lights when a semi or anything long passes me. But I only get a thank you reply flash maybe one out of 20 times. Also it is rare that others signal me when I pass them. Is signaling out of fashion now?

I flash my lights for a semi only when needed. If there is someone behind the semi and he needs to pull in as soon as safe, to let the following vehicle have the lane, then I flash. But if the semi is just passing and has no reason to pull in early, I do not flash. He can safely pull back into my lane when we are far apart, no question.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:03 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to C Duck
I'm with the OP...I seldom get a "wink" from today's truckers. I think I'm going to wait to be flashed first and then I'll reply .
Old 11-01-2015, 07:15 PM   #7

I don't always signal, but try to do it if there is someone behind the passing truck. I get a "Thank you" most times.

And, maybe the truckers here will chime in, but I remember reading somewhere that their insurance companies discouraged any signaling due to someone misinterpreting, and an accident occurred with the trucker found at fault. Maybe just an urban legend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaRick View Post
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:55 PM   #8

We just returned from a cross country trip from L.A. East on 80 and west on 40. I made it a point to flash passing semis. Nobody thanked me. I guess it's over. New generation doesn't give a sh........about the old ways. So no more flashing for me......
Old 11-01-2015, 08:16 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
As a truck driver I can tell you Flashing your Brights as Im looking in the mirror to check clearance is an pain that I don't care for! Proper proceedure is to turn the headlights off and on , most Big trucks have this feature built into the light control. Somewhere people and many new truckers got the idea that flashing their bright lights is a help .So it depends on what you call "flashing "your lights. I used to trust commercial drivers to know when its safe .. as a pro I didn't trust Joe weekend rv'er. Today i don't trust the "pro" driver Also ! too many unknowns sitting behind the wheel of a big truck today!
Heres why I no longer "flash" my lights other than clearance ones to thank someone else.
I work for a very large company and can tell you why they train people and "enforce" not to do this ... Liability !.... You have just said it ok to come over and the jack A.. in a hurry behind the guy passing etc decides its time to pass in front of you on the right just as the vehicle you cleared is now moving over on your ok . Bad news ! Who's at fault? The companys lawyers are just waiting to raise a stink.Guess who they are going to point a finger at.
Finally a Pro Knows when its ok and safe to move back over. I can easily see and know where the back of my last triple trailer is and i want to wait until I'm VERY clear of the guy I passed and I'm mindfull of the impatient driver behind me also.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:28 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
We just returned from a 9,000 mile trip to the west coast. I had about 50% of the truck return flashes, but only about 10% of the RV'ers.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:36 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
As a truck driver I can tell you Flashing your Brights as Im looking in the mirror to check clearance is an pain that I don't care for! Proper proceedure is to turn the headlights off and on , most Big trucks have this feature built into the light control. Somewhere people and many new truckers got the idea that flashing their bright lights is a help .So it depends on what you call "flashing "your lights. I used to trust commercial drivers to know when its safe .. as a pro I didn't trust Joe weekend rv'er. Today i don't trust the "pro" driver Also ! too many unknowns sitting behind the wheel of a big truck today!
Heres why I no longer "flash" my lights other than clearance ones to thank someone else.
I work for a very large company and can tell you why they train people and "enforce" not to do this ... Liability !.... You have just said it ok to come over and the jack A.. in a hurry behind the guy passing etc decides its time to pass in front of you on the right just as the vehicle you cleared is now moving over on your ok . Bad news ! Who's at fault? The companys lawyers are just waiting to raise a stink.Guess who they are going to point a finger at.
Finally a Pro Knows when its ok and safe to move back over. I can easily see and know where the back of my last triple trailer is and i want to wait until I'm VERY clear of the guy I passed and I'm mindfull of the impatient driver behind me also.
After listening to CB chatter and taking into account that truckers do seem to crowd my lane when they blow by me (causing all kinds of air disruptions)...I just thought truckers just don't like motor homes.
Dan Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:46 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
We just returned from a cross country trip from L.A. East on 80 and west on 40. I made it a point to flash passing semis. Nobody thanked me. I guess it's over. New generation doesn't give a sh........about the old ways. So no more flashing for me......

Just to make sure I am clear on your position. We flash semi's passing for safety and as a courtesy. But if they do not thank us, we stop flashing. Who needs all that safety stuff anyway.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:47 PM   #13

Is it not cool to signal anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post

Good point. I gave up signals long ago.
Recently had a motor issue and had to spend Sunday night at the Freightliner dealer. Would have been a great time if I spoke Russian or Spanish, but I don't, so was all alone.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:53 PM   #14

I do turn my lights on/off for truckers and RVers four curiosity with no expectation of response. Interestingly, those drivers who acknowledge the signal with their flashers are mostly truck drivers and seldom fellow RVers, that is sad.
Rpwainc is offline   Reply With Quote