RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is it OK to leave airbags full?

Do I need to "dump" airbags when storing MH?

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
rex

Monaco Owners Club
I always leave them full. Over long periods of storage they will loose some air.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #3

I do exactly the same as rex.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #4

I also leave mine full.

Have you ever noticed how an inflated basket ball seems to last longer than a deflated one? Since most of the deflated balls I ever found laying in the bottom of the closet had cracks at the flattened edges of the ball. I've assumed that keeping the rubber air bags on the RV inflated were helping them stay alive longer just like that old ball in the closet. Now, this may be just some hokum or a superstition. Never-the-less, it makes me feel better about the situation.
v8dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I guess you'll get a variety of responses to this question. The air system on our coach slowly loses air pressure when sitting in storage for an extended length of time. So the air bags slowly deflate, not always evenly, which causes the coach to lean. So, when I park the coach, I let the air out of the system, and then lower the hydraulic jacks so they take just a little weight. It can sit like that forever with no worries.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #6

Ever since new, our front left corner has lost air, at a very very slow rate. If I park the coach for a month, or more (try not to do that, as these things are meant to be used and enjoyed!!!), the front left corner will go down, significantly. If your coach ever does bleed down, unevenly, you WILL put a pretty substantial twisting force on the frame, and hence the coach.

Whenever I know that I'm parking our coach for more than even a couple of days, I dump the air. I don't dump until all air is purged, but I do dump until it is apparent that the coach is essentially down. I've not thought about the basketball analogy, but I guess it's possible. But I also know that the bags are designed to operate over their full length of travel, so hopefully they are good for it. I don't like to leave the jacks down for extended periods, as by leaving them up, they stay clean and "wet", versus being left down, exposed to the perils of wind, dust and sand.

It's true. If you ask 20 RV owners these questions, you will get twenty different opinions. But try not to store your coach any more than you have to. :-)
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I dont own a MH at present, but have inspected for air leaks on locomotive and later on trucks, rather easy to if you want.

A spray bottle or just soap and water with a paint brush works great to find the smallest of leakage, soap the bag, and all lines and fittings back to the controler valve and the valves cover bolt and gasket if it has one.

The only trick is too much soap or to little mixed with water the leaking air wont bubble as much. works great with shop compressor quick connectors checking small leaks too. Just my two cents
Jwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:02 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have air level only. I park it leveled and plugged in. It gradually settles as one side loses air and the system brings the high bags down. The aux air pump will eventually start so as to keep it leveled. This takes about 3 weeks to the low point.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Can I accomplish the same thing by lowering all first and then auto level?

Bob F
Old 01-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinaz123 View Post
Can I accomplish the same thing by lowering all first and then auto level?

Bob F
I don't see why not. However, when I lowered mine to the bump stops I heard creaking noises I didn't like. I let it ease down by itself.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:25 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I"m at the Las Vegas Motorhome Resort now and the pad is very level, so I just lower it til it stops--no noises-- and leave it there. However, I am concerned about the bags cracking, so I will try raising it, then lowering it, and then doing an auto level. Hopefully that will put enough air in the bags to avoid the problem (if there is a problem).

Bob F, 08 Camelot
Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We have had our '91 Beaver Marquis for 20 years and have always left the airbags full when it is not in use. We have never had any problems doing so.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #13

If someone asked me that question, my answer would be this. Always try to park in a place where all four corners are on a solid, flat plane. Then, if none of your air bags lose any air over time, go ahead and leave them inflated. If any of them tend to leak down over time, dump the suspension when you park. The "prime directive" is to prevent twisting your coach. Assuming you are on an even plane, the fail safe answer is to dump the suspension when parking.

If you have to park on an uneven site, all bets are off. Do what you need to do to keep from having the coach get twisted, a day, a week, a month, or whatever, after you park it and walk away from it!

Our coach does creak a little when we dump it down, in storage, but the pad is level, and the twisting is minuscule. If the pad is essentially even, don't worry about it. It doesn't creak any more than it does dealing with unevenness while in normal motion.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote