Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2020, 10:22 PM   #1

Is there an HWH Auxiliary Air Pump on Signatures?

I have a 2005 Monaco Signature Castle IV 45' and I was browsing the forum here and saw a few mentions of other Monaco models having an auxiliary air compressor for the HWH auto-leveling system, which aids in keeping the coach level when the key is on and if the main tanks are depleted.

Does the 2005 Signature supposed to have one? I have an issue where the coach loses air on the driver-side, and will drop considerably within one day. I have to periodically start the engine every day or two to refill the air tanks in order to get it level again. Does my coach supposed to have a separate air compressor that's driven by electricity and not the engine?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2020, 11:13 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, your HWH air leveling system includes a Thomas 12v air pump. The older coaches (prior to 2006) use the Thomas 405ADC38/12 Piston Air Compressor, 1/10HP,12VDC 100PSI.
It is just inside and above the passenger side dual rear tires attached to the floor. If you manually raise the coach all the way you can easily see it.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/rep...mp-369684.html
Skip down to post #20 for a picture of the assembly.

These pumps have an open armature and are famous for clogging up and not working. There is also a small blade fuse next to the pump and these tend to blow when it gets clogged up.
If the fuse doesn't fix it, then you can either replace it or rebuild it. Ebay is the best source I've found for both pumps and rebuild kits.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Yes, your HWH air leveling system includes a Thomas 12v air pump. It is just inside and above the passenger side dual rear tires attached to the floor. If you manually raise the coach all the way you can easily see it.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/rep...mp-369684.html
Skip down to post #20 for a picture of the assembly.

These pumps have an open armature and are infamous for clogging up and not working. there is also a small blade fuse next to the pump and these tend to blow when it gets clogged up.
Yup!! I've replaced mine one already. Also thought there was a "rebuild kit" for them. But now not so sure. Replacement new, they're about $500 if you buy it from someone other than RAV (Monaco). I'm trying to remember where I bought it from. But they are relatively easy to take out and install.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:27 PM   #4

I'm currently dealing with an aux compressor issue.

With our Monaco the key doesn't have to be on for the aux compressor to operate. However the HWH control panel does need to be on to maintain level until such a time there is not enough air in the system and then the aux compressor kicks in and maintains level through the air bags.

Do you leave your HWH control panel on when you're wanting your mh to stay level?

irishguy
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:47 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
On my 04 Signature the compressor was under the coach in front of the drive axle in all the slop. I replaced it with a new one from Northwest RV Supply. It cost about $350 2 years ago but I think they are a bunch more now. My new one was complete and just a plug and play unit with everything new. I have since moved it inside the bin behind the tag axle. That was very easy to do, just extend the pressure line and the power and ground wires. Now it stays clean and dry. I mounted it to a piece of plywood with foam rubber glued to the bottom. I can not hear it run at all.

Once auto level is activated by pushing the level button twice the coach will level itself then when level the red light blinks fast and very dim. My coach stayed dead level for 5 months straight last winter...

Good luck
Dave
Old 06-01-2020, 11:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
When I had toreplace our compressor, I found a good price at Zoro Tool at Zoro.com. They also have a rebuild kit for the compressor part, not sure about the motor. Monaco did not do us any favors by their placement of the compressor. Hope this may help. Happy Trails Bert
Old 06-01-2020, 05:31 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
New ones are $374.99 on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-THOMAS-...8fb61a2599e310
Rebuild kits are $259.99
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-THO...EAAOSwuMZZFK3G

Many times you can find used ones for around $125.

I should add that HWH is still using this same compressor in their new $10,000 Active Air suspension system.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:01 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I found the compressor above the passenger side rear tires; I had no idea that it existed I'm having difficulty finding the fuse for it. Are there multiple locations that the fuse could exist in that that I can check? I have a 2005 Monaco Signature.

Thanks again!
Old 06-26-2020, 07:28 PM   #9

If you can safely access your aux compressor and you have the Thomas compressor, you should see two wires going to/from the compressor. One wire goes to a pressure switch and another goes to a solenoid on the top portion of the compressor unit. The wire going to this solenoid should have a 15 amp blade fuse along it somewhere. At least that's how it is on our 2003 Monaco.

Do you know for sure your compressor isn't working? It won't come on until the coach is out of level and there is insufficient air pressure left to maintain level. You have to make sure your HWH control panel is on and in level mode.

irishguy
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:49 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
When you level your coach, do you let all thee air out of the bags first? I have found that it is easier to let it all out , then level. This has the advantage of lowering the coach so that the first step is lower to the ground. The air compress on ours hardly ever runs.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:07 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
If you have the HWH 2000 system, it should lower automatically if you put in the "auto-level" mode. Although the Coach may not lower fully (dump all air).

The HWH system tries to level first by dumping air on the high side, then if needed, it will add air to the bags on the side that is low.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:04 PM   #12

I confirmed that the compressor isn't turning on; I depleted the air out of the tanks, and called to raise one side of the coach. I hear a loud click noise around the compressor area (perhaps the pressure switch or solenoid), but the compressor never engages.

I have thoroughly looked around the compressor area and I'm not seeing ANY inline fuses. I disconnected the waterproof electrical connector as shown in one of the images, thoroughly sprayed electrical connector cleaner in both ends and still nothing.

Are there any other places that a fuse can be hiding?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200627_123858.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	291175   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200627_123529.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	385.1 KB
ID:	291176  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200627_123434.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	291177  
Old 06-27-2020, 07:56 PM   #13

leak

Hi Hoss, had the same problem as you. replaced the compressor, had to repair the 6 pack valve that controlled the left front air bag height. Replaced o-ring on the valve.
happy trails & God bless!! Jake
Old 06-27-2020, 09:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss7 View Post
I have a 2005 Monaco Signature Castle IV 45' and I was browsing the forum here and saw a few mentions of other Monaco models having an auxiliary air compressor for the HWH auto-leveling system, which aids in keeping the coach level when the key is on and if the main tanks are depleted.

Does the 2005 Signature supposed to have one? I have an issue where the coach loses air on the driver-side, and will drop considerably within one day. I have to periodically start the engine every day or two to refill the air tanks in order to get it level again. Does my coach supposed to have a separate air compressor that's driven by electricity and not the engine?
Hoss7,

Once you have your auxiliary air compressor operational, take note of how often it cycles on and off.

Don’t rule out if there may be air leaks that may be contributing to your coach leaning on the driver side as you conveyed. Hopefully, any air leaks may not be the case.

Let us know how you make out.
ZackMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, hwh