Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2021, 01:10 PM   #1
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
Is This Normal? Battery questions

Removed my 4 L16 LA batteries (keeping my 2 LA chassis batteries on the other side of the left wall). Noted after house batteries were removed that there was still power to the positive lead of the house batteries. Also, with the battery disconnect switch (above, red) in the off position, that no 12V system inside (interior house battery cutoff solenoid, inverter display or even a/c thermostat had any power (as I would have thought since there were no house batteries...) HOWEVER, when turning the red battery disconnect to the "on" position (even with no batteries) the items noted were now powered. (note that the RV is plugged into 120V power) Turning the chassis battery disconnect to the "off" position made no difference in whether there was power to the interior or to the other (house) battery compartment

Am replacing my 4 L16 with 2-200 AH Lithium batteries. Will the lead-acid battery apparent connection to the house side damage the lithiums?

Is there supposed to be this cross over?

Hoping this made sense...
NRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2021, 02:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My house battery disconnect does not isolate the inverter/charger from back feeding. Have to disconnect from shore power to completely eliminate 12 volt power. Also, if you have solar it may be wired that it will still send power to the battery terminal leads.

No idea on the the LI vs Lead Acid batteries other then the charging aspect. Lithium can potentially damage the alternator
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:09 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Lithium charging can hurt LA batteryís due to the sustained input voltage of 14.5 volts.

At lest that my understanding.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:16 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I would expect that you're getting power to the house through the converter, not through a cross over from the chassis battery. You can test that theory by disconnecting the positive cable from the chassis battery.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:34 PM   #5

Hi NRF; This question does come up often. It comes down to the manufacture and how they decided to wire the coach. I was surprised to find that on my previous 2000 Monaco Windsor that the batteries, both house and chassis, received charging from the inverter while plugged into shore power even with the main battery disconnect switches in the off position. This also applies to my now 2001 Monaco Windsor. A call way back when you could talk to a Monaco Tech. at the Monaco service facility in Coburg Oregon confirmed what I had found. Was informed, that was the way the system is designed! If owners are not sure about how systems are designed I would always suggest to get out the multimeter and start checking before starting any kind of battery disconnect at the terminals or replacing batteries. Better safe than a whole bunch of sparks!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 04:32 PM   #6
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
Apologies for never having followed up to the great comments and assistance! As it turns out I actually was noting 12+V when unplugged and when battery cutoff switches were in the "off" position. After turning the house battery switch off and then the house battery switch off - the reading on the empty wires where the coach batteries were was.... 12.8...13.2..13.6..13.8... and 14.1 before finally fizzling out. What it appeared to be connection to the coach battery was, in fact, residual power from the inverter.
NRF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery