Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2013, 05:34 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Is X-6942-50 Radiator a Concern?

Our 2005 Endeavor has the X-6942-50 radiator that apparently contains the transmission oil cooler (The manufacturer is listed as G & O Radiator on the Build Sheet.). I have read that there was a problem with these combined radiators in early 2000 that caused water to leak into the transmission fluid creating damage to the transmission. I understand that this was later corrected.
My question; Do I have this potential problem with this radiator? The coach only has 16,000 total miles and the radiator has no leaks or signs or wear.
Don, If memory serves you had this same radiator and replaced it some time back so I suspect you are an expert on this subject.
Thanks for any comments.
Willie300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2013, 06:53 AM   #2

I have a 2003 Windsor. We had (have) the same situation. We were never warned or contacted by Monacco.

We had a catastrophic failure...took out the trans.
Eight thousand later we are also looking for a separate trans cooler. In my search I contacted The new Monacco for advice. Their answer was a big "Duh"

Both your coach and ours was supposed to get a new radiator, but Monacco dropped the ball. I talked to the radiator mfg. and got no where.

I am looking at several trans coolers to solve the problem.
Tony
chastainat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Willie.....I have an 05 Diplomat, which is the sister coach and does not have the combined radiator trans cooler. There were some mid year changes, including motor size that may dictate what they used. Mine has the 400ISL. If you look under the coach, find the radiator hose that comes out of the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side. That hose goes into a metal box (approx. 3" x 5" rectangular welded box by 24" long). It's crude looking and mounts from side to side between the cross members.

You can also follow the trans lines, but the box is easy to spot.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Willie.....I have an 05 Diplomat, which is the sister coach and does not have the combined radiator trans cooler. There were some mid year changes, including motor size that may dictate what they used. Mine has the 400ISL. If you look under the coach, find the radiator hose that comes out of the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side. That hose goes into a metal box (approx. 3" x 5" rectangular welded box by 24" long). It's crude looking and mounts from side to side between the cross members.

You can also follow the trans lines, but the box is easy to spot.
Thanks Don. I will look for the box tomorrow. Mine is the 400ISL also. If I find the box is that the separate trans cooler? If there is no box, does that mean I have the combined radiator trans cooler?
Old 08-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Okay.....I went out to take a picture of mine.....to see it, you'll have to crawl under the passenger side a few feet and look up through the mesh screen. I took a photo of it by holding a camera over the frame near the lower radiator hose so you could see what it looks like.

This is the end that the lower radiator hose attaches to. The other prominent hose is the trans line.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Don
Thanks so much for going to the trouble to take these pictures.
I will look for this box in the morning. I assume the box is the separate trans cooler and if I have one I am one of the lucky ones.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Don
I do indeed have the radiator configuration similar to yours. I checked it this morning while installing a Trick-L-Start (which works very well BTW). I have posted a photo below. Do you have any Idea how this box cools the Transmission fluid?
Thanks again for all your help on this and many other items you have written about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	44675  
Old 08-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Bill......It's just a box with a piece of copper tubing coiled inside. The trans fluid runs in one opening, thru the copper tubing and out the other end. The coolant flows thru the box, cooling the copper tubing and trans fluid. It's pretty crude system, but it works.

Now you have one less thing to worry about!
Old 08-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Don
Thanks for the explanation and all your help.
It's amazing how much there is to learn about these machines.
While working on the Trik-L-Start I noticed that the selector switch for the voltmeter on the control panel was wired backwards. Selecting House gave the chassis reading and selecting Chassis gave the House reading. Easy to fix but I wonder how many of these were connected backwards and no one noticed.
Thanks again & have a great day.

Tags
radiator