Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
ISL exhaust manifold leak

I asked this on the Cummins forum and go only one response. opefully I'll do better here!!!

Recently heard a noise around the driver side of the motor that sounded like leaking air in spurts. Took the motor covers off from the inside of the coach and with the engine running identified a leak in the 3rd cylinder from the "front" of the motor. (Which is facing the rear!!) Anyone out there had a similar problem and what did it take to fix it? I don't see any cracks in the manifold or any other problems. I also have a strong vibration under full power climbing hills that started when going back to Mo from Calif, could this be an effect of the leak?
Ron
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherpilot View Post
I asked this on the Cummins forum and go only one response. opefully I'll do better here!!!

Recently heard a noise around the driver side of the motor that sounded like leaking air in spurts. Took the motor covers off from the inside of the coach and with the engine running identified a leak in the 3rd cylinder from the "front" of the motor. (Which is facing the rear!!) Anyone out there had a similar problem and what did it take to fix it? I don't see any cracks in the manifold or any other problems. I also have a strong vibration under full power climbing hills that started when going back to Mo from Calif, could this be an effect of the leak?
Ron
Hi Ron, first, the exhaust leak, you are going to have to get in there and see if all the manifold bolts are still in the manifold to make sure none snapped off and fell out, even if you see them all, put a wrench(thinking a 10mm) on all them and try to loosen and tighten them to make sure none of them are in fact snapped off and the head is just sitting there rusted in place. If all the manifold bolts are in fact not broken. Your bolts might just of loosened enough and you blew a manifold gasket, if so, I would suggest replacing them all. You might be able to loosen them all a bit, and slip a new one in where the bad one is, but then you just might stand a chance of the other old gaskets not sealing and failing. Take a mirror and check the manifold out good, top and bottom to look for cracks. There should be black soot all over where the leak is, on the block, or manifold.
As far as your vibration, check your drive shaft u-joints good, most of the time with a drive train vibration it is in the drive shaft. When was the last time you greased the u-joints and slip joint? I had a slight vibration once, greased the drive shaft good, vibration went away, now I grease it a couple time a year.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
https://www.google.com/search?q=ISL+...2.com&x=37&y=5

Plenty of reading here. My response is in there somewhere. Shop charges anywhere from $800-$4,000...some scary stories in the threads, Soak bolts good for several days remove carefully, be lucky, five hours. There is a newer gasket that is thicker (composite form Cummins, about $ 65 for all six.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:41 PM   #4

Exhaust gasket is leaking. You can generally tell if you see soot around one of the ports. Very common and much discussion in the topic. When my exhaust manifold was removed, you could see it was warped and I replaced it. Prices vary as previously discusses. My symptoms were a whistle like a fan belt slipping.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:52 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Hi Ron, first, the exhaust leak, you are going to have to get in there and see if all the manifold bolts are still in the manifold to make sure none snapped off and fell out, even if you see them all, put a wrench(thinking a 10mm) on all them and try to loosen and tighten them to make sure none of them are in fact snapped off and the head is just sitting there rusted in place. If all the manifold bolts are in fact not broken. Your bolts might just of loosened enough and you blew a manifold gasket, if so, I would suggest replacing them all. You might be able to loosen them all a bit, and slip a new one in where the bad one is, but then you just might stand a chance of the other old gaskets not sealing and failing. Take a mirror and check the manifold out good, top and bottom to look for cracks. There should be black soot all over where the leak is, on the block, or manifold.
As far as your vibration, check your drive shaft u-joints good, most of the time with a drive train vibration it is in the drive shaft. When was the last time you greased the u-joints and slip joint? I had a slight vibration once, greased the drive shaft good, vibration went away, now I grease it a couple time a year.
Thanks for the detailed info. I found the leak by running my hand around the exhaust port areas while the engine was running. (Before it go hot!!!) I can see the gap in the area between the manifold and head where the gasket used to be. I saw no decrease in boost. I'll get out there and see if any of the bolts are broken in a day or two. We are currently parked at our cabin in Branson, Mo so there is no hurry.
The U-Joints have been lubed on sked since the coach was new so I guess I'll have them checked when I go in for the manifold job. Just went over 100k mi so I expect this sort of thing can be expected, just hope whoever does the work doesn't get too greedy. There is a shop here in Branson that does service on tour busses and MHs so I'll call them first.
Ron
Old 04-09-2014, 12:49 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
OK Ron, keep us posted on your repairs amd what they tell you. When I did mine, I replaced all the bolts and spacers that bolt the manifold to the head just for peace of mind.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:32 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We recently had our exhaust manifold replaced by the Cummins dealer in Austin. It was an ISC but yours should be in the same $1400 neighborhood. Would have done it ourselves ($4-500) but after reading all the horror stories about broken bolts, thought better of it..
PS - The exhaust soot is more gray than black.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:25 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ron, one more thing, I got to thinking about your "vibration", As it is hard to understand the vibration without driving it, some folks have posted questions and used the word "shuttering" when powering the engine..........Your fuel filters, if getting plugged could cause you to feel a vibration-shuttering. Just another thought.......
Old 04-09-2014, 09:19 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Our manifold was leaking and we had it repaired by Cummins in Las Vegas almost 1 year to this date.

Price $1,514.24. They said it took 2 people a whole day to do. This included part of the manifold which apparently can not be re-used because it warps in the heat.

On the paper it looks like an extremely simple job. Remove a few bolts - take the old manifold off - new gasket, and then slam on the bolts. It would seem that it is not as straight forward as it looks. I can not imagine what it will cost if a manifold bolt breaks when attempting to remove it

BTW - our leaking manifold had what I can only describe as an occasional chirping sound when air was escaping.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #10

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

My leak, ISL 400, was a blown manifold gasket. Gasket and manifold bolts replaced. A new manifold was not available or I would have replace it. One manifold bolt snapped during removal. I don't remember exactly the cost but less than $500.00
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:50 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I have replaced 1/2 of the manifold on our coach And on our previous coach the secret is soak all bolts manifold turbo, everything that has to be removed. I sprayed my manifold bolts 2 orb3 times a day for a few days beforei did the job and all nuts came off with out twisting any off. I have heard and talked to quite a few guys that had shops repair their manifolds and a lot of them had to buy another head in some cases because so many studs twisted off and cheaper to replace the head that get the studs out. As has been stated both manifolds will have to be removed because the gaskets are thicker. My cost to repair my manifold was less than $300 the best i remember, it not that hard of a job. One of the best penetrate i know of is a 50 50 mixture of acitone and auto transmission. If it is just warped have it refaced.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak