Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Isn't GLYCOL just the same ?

I've got two unused bottles of SCA4 ready to mix in with a new batch of antifreeze coolant (yet to be purchased). So isn't Fleetguard's ES Complete the same as Prestone's off-the-shelf.....as long as SCAs are added?
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
There are two kinds of Glycol one that is deadly poison and one is not. Unlike conventional ethylene glycol-based products, which are highly toxic and even propylene glycol is biodegradable and its low toxicity limits the threat to children, pets and wildlife
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi.1014 View Post
... So isn't Fleetguard's ES Complete the same as Prestone's off-the-shelf.....as long as SCAs are added?
I would NOT bet on that nor would I play that game.

Anti freeze in not anti freeze especially when it comes to the HD stuff diesels need vs the light duty stuff on the Prestone gasser car shelf.

Some additional anti freeze info..

Cummins antifreeze intermix
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Color of antifreeze.pdf (24.9 KB, 33 views)
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #4

This can be a very complicated subject. You must use an antifreeze that meets the Cummins spec. Look on the AF bottle for either D4985 or D6210. If either is not present do not use that coolant.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #5

Robi, a very knowlegeable life IH dealer owner that does repairs to heavy trucks and equipment has told me....by the old school green antifreeze and just add the SC4A to the antifreeze. The claimed correct antifreeze does have the additive mixed in from Fleetguard. They have never used the special antifreezes and have NEVER had any issues with the fleets of trucks they keep on the roads for customers. She said to monitor level every oil change or 1 time a year..and add additive accordingly. My levels were good this fall when checking, coolant locked brand new...so I left mine as is.....Doing as she recommended can not be any worse than switching over to the new fangled long life antifreezes that are claimed not to ever need the additives....which way to go?? You have to make that decision
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:12 AM   #6

Your IH dealer needs to enter this century. Any coolant used in your MH has to meet at least the D4985 standard. This is a low silicate coolant and you MUST add the SCA'a. Truck stops and dealers carry a D6210 coolant that already contains the SCA's. My Cummins manual states that you should use the D6210. Monaco used a D4985 and added the SCA's. Off the shelf coolants like Prestone are usually a D32xx coolant and should NOT be used as they are high silicate. Many of us on this forum have changed over to an OAT coolant. Do a search on this forum for "Final Charge". Gary Spikes, a Cummins engineer, has posted a lot of coolant info on the Cummins Forum on IRV2. The wrong coolant could destroy your engine.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have not seen very much propylene glycol used in automotive service. It is all ethylene glycol. The main thing is to see that it meets the minimum specs as required by the engine manufacturer. You can always add the SCA.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote