Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2020, 11:32 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Issues with Valid air suspension

We were traveling yesterday in steady rain. Pulled into a supermarket, and when we left and we’re just a few miles down the road I got a fault and a beeping sound from the Valid controller. One light was lit up solid red indicating rear right travel valve short circuit. Pulled off road and verified there was still air in the bags and made the decision to continue to our campsite.

Got here and shut off the engine and tried to level the coach. The left side rear air bags would not inflate and now I also have the rear left travel valve short circuit light on as well.

‘Got on line today and read about similar issues. I ended up powering down the coach with the battery disconnects. The controller had no faults when I powered it up, and I was able to level the coach in the manual mode. With the engine running I pressed the travel mode, and the fault came back, only the left side rear now. The coach gets high on the right side with no air in the left rear bags.

Shut the power off again to reset controller, coach will level in auto mode, work in manual mode and the raise/lower all corners works as well, but gets the fault if I try the travel mode.

I tried everything I read online,
Pulled panel found zero corrosion, looks new.

Checked the 2 wire plug for 60 ohms, checked good

Reset controller by holding down the power button until I heard tone

Tried to force valves into travel mode, but when I press the raise and lower buttons and hold them, the auto-manual buttons start flashing but when I release them and try to push the travel button to force the valves nothing happens.

We are here in the Keweenaw peninsula in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan for a week, without a toad. I plan on calling Valid in the morning but wanted to see if anyone has any other ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2020, 09:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yoopers View Post
We were traveling yesterday in steady rain. Pulled into a supermarket, and when we left and we’re just a few miles down the road I got a fault and a beeping sound from the Valid controller. One light was lit up solid red indicating rear right travel valve short circuit. Pulled off road and verified there was still air in the bags and made the decision to continue to our campsite.

Got here and shut off the engine and tried to level the coach. The left side rear air bags would not inflate and now I also have the rear left travel valve short circuit light on as well.

‘Got on line today and read about similar issues. I ended up powering down the coach with the battery disconnects. The controller had no faults when I powered it up, and I was able to level the coach in the manual mode. With the engine running I pressed the travel mode, and the fault came back, only the left side rear now. The coach gets high on the right side with no air in the left rear bags.

Shut the power off again to reset controller, coach will level in auto mode, work in manual mode and the raise/lower all corners works as well, but gets the fault if I try the travel mode.

I tried everything I read online,
Pulled panel found zero corrosion, looks new.

Checked the 2 wire plug for 60 ohms, checked good

Reset controller by holding down the power button until I heard tone

Tried to force valves into travel mode, but when I press the raise and lower buttons and hold them, the auto-manual buttons start flashing but when I release them and try to push the travel button to force the valves nothing happens.

We are here in the Keweenaw peninsula in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan for a week, without a toad. I plan on calling Valid in the morning but wanted to see if anyone has any other ideas?
Try taking the key pad out and unplugging the plugs on the back for half an hour or so. Then plug back together and see if it helps.

Holding the power button for 10 to 15 seconds sometimes will reboot the system.

Valid often just says 'replace the control board', especially if you mention anything about rain or water.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:36 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Bill, I tried leaving the panel unplugged for an hour. Plugged back in and got the same fault.
I called Valid and they were very helpful. They said the fault that I am getting is a coil on the valve gone bad. Valid has the coils in stock at 24.00 each so they are shipping them to me overnight. I found a mobile truck repair that I can ship them to and he will come and install them on Thursday. Other option was to swap out a coil from the valves not used for travel to get home, but then I would need to have it fixed again.
Plan is to remove the duals Which gives you access to the coils. Figured to replace them all while I am there, ohm check the ones I pull out to keep for spares.
Valid said to replace coils in pairs, then reset controller by holding down the power button to clear old faults.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:03 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Thanks for the update...guess I need to carry another spare part.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:29 AM   #5

Good to know
Old 09-15-2020, 05:37 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:14 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I will follow up on this once it is fixed. Parts should arrive today and tech said he will get here Thursday or Friday. Valid told me I could put control in manual, fill bags then disconnect 3 fuses in the front compartment. They said this will not trigger the travel mode and I can move the coach to take on water and dump safely.
Said you could travel like that, but I have an air leak that would not allow me to travel far. Leak is coming from the back area, so hope to fix that as well.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:53 AM   #8

Good luck with repair.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:57 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Good luck with repair.
Thanks!!
Old 09-15-2020, 12:08 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
good luck. If you're able to post some pictures, that would be great.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:42 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Bill! I will try to get pics and post them here.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:59 PM   #12

I had a very similar problem. Besides the coil, which I'm guessing is the coil on the soleniod. We also had a controller located near the front axle with the valve bodies that was bad. I had to drive many miles with that thing beeping at me. The battery disconnect remedy would only last for so long, hit a bump and it would start beeping again. Had to get home so learned to ignore it.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:30 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmiester View Post
I had a very similar problem. Besides the coil, which I'm guessing is the coil on the soleniod. We also had a controller located near the front axle with the valve bodies that was bad. I had to drive many miles with that thing beeping at me. The battery disconnect remedy would only last for so long, hit a bump and it would start beeping again. Had to get home so learned to ignore it.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
I can definitely relate to the beeping driving you nuts. I found myself turning the radio up.
My first fault was a communication loss which is the front or rear controller and would reset for a while. The second fault was the short circuit one that Valid says is the coil that goes on the air valves, and cannot be cleared out.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:45 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Well, the air suspension is fixed. I had the coils shipped by Valid overnite from Canada for the reasonable price of $40.00 shipping. The local repair truck showed up today and he decided to have me drive the motor home up on stacked 2x12” boards.
I already had the suspension raised up and my 2”x3” heavy wall steel tube safety blocks in place between the frames. He was able to get underneath the frame that protects the transmission and rear end, then sit up. I passed him in the tools he wanted, as well as the new coils. I had him change all 6 of them, and he found the travel valve coil was hot just from me moving the coach on the boards.
The plug on that one valve was difficult to get out, but he was able to get it apart without any damage.
Easy job if you can get to them. My 6’5” body is not going to get under there. Fired up coach and reset controller and no faults. Took it for a drive and everything was fine.
One thing I did discover is rather than pulling the 3 fuses that Valid said to pull, I left the 4 screws out of my controller pad in the coach, I aired the suspension up in manual mode, unplugged both plugs and drove the coach to the dump station. It did not go into travel mode and I outdone just plug both plugs in if I needed more air.

Tags
air, suspension