Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2013, 04:53 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dairybar1 View Post
I had all the shades closed and the power shades in the windshield all the way down, the outside temp was only around 85 and the inside of the coach only got to around 75. Both units ran for two days, but I had the fan set to "Auto". I will try setting the fan on "High" and take some temp readings. Both units go through the ceiling ducts. Its actually cool here today (57 degrees now) so I will have to wait until it warms up again.
Thanks for all the help!
Dairybar,

Another thing to check is the alignment and connection of the air conditioner units to the plenum duct in the ceiling. A tree fell on our coach a few years back and we had to have the rear AC unit replaced. This was done as part of the insurance claim and the AC was replaced during the repair. When we got the coach back we noticed it did not cool as efficiently as the original unit even through it was a 15000 BTU and the original unit was 13500 BTU. I found that the unit did not mate correctly to the plenum in the ceiling and air was leaking out into the space between the ceiling and the roof.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2013, 05:49 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
May seem like an obvious question...but why have the fan on High as opposed to Auto?
fillbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairybar1 View Post
I had all the shades closed and the power shades in the windshield all the way down, the outside temp was only around 85 and the inside of the coach only got to around 75. Both units ran for two days, but I had the fan set to "Auto". I will try setting the fan on "High" and take some temp readings. Both units go through the ceiling ducts. Its actually cool here today (57 degrees now) so I will have to wait until it warms up again.
Thanks for all the help!
Another thing to check is the placement of the thermostats. If the thermostat is placed where it will get hit by cool air flow, like right under a duct opening then it will cycle off the compressor too soon and the larger area will never get cool. If this is the case then set the thermostat very low or tape a shield up to block the air flow on the thermostat to see if that helps.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:03 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fillbert View Post
May seem like an obvious question...but why have the fan on High as opposed to Auto?
It doesn't seem to work as well. I run mine on low, so as not to be too noisy, or high as needed. We hit the 105F in NE a couple of years ago at an overnight. Next morning we could have hung meat.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:06 AM   #19

On my 07 Neptune I can open the "max cool" vents on the plenum and it cools the coach much better than going through the vents. You would not think so because the vents spread the cool air out evenly but that's not the case. I also will set a fan on floor in rear blowing forward as the bedroom is much smaller to cool and that helps tremendously. We were in Williamsburg va a few years ago and temps were around 105-107 for several days in a row. We were camped basically in a field with nary a tree near, and figured these tricks out. The temps inside coach would run solid all day long but would never get above 75 inside.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fillbert View Post
The only time your A/C fans need to be set on HIGH is when the outside humidity is so HIGH such as in Florida or other parts of the Southeast and your A/C duct registers start to drip water.

By setting the fans on HIGH it eliminates the water buildup on the ceiling vents.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
The only time your A/C fans need to be set on HIGH is when the outside humidity is so HIGH such as in Florida or other parts of the Southeast and your A/C duct registers start to drip water.

By setting the fans on HIGH it eliminates the water buildup on the ceiling vents.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Another tip for high humidity areas. Before you shut down your A/C in your coach or in your car, put the thermostat on fan only setting making sure the compressor is off and let it run for a few minutes. This helps remove the condensation in the vents that will occur when you shut down with the compressor still running.

This condensation left in the vents and ductwork will then start turning into mold overnight.

We always try to remember to turn our car a/c off and run the fan only about 3-5 minutes before arriving at our destination.

Most of the newer home split systems do this automatically for your house. If you are outside by the condensing unit, you will hear it stop but the fan inside the house or garage will continue to run for a bit to help get rid of this condensation.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote