Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2021, 10:01 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
JC refrigeration 12 volt conversion.

I have Norcold 1200 fridge in my 99 Windsor. I want to replace the fridge. I don't really have the skill set to install a residential one. I have been looking at the JC conversion kits. The reading that I've done has been real positive with people who have done the conversion.

My wife and do a lot of boon-docking at the beach. I was thinking I would benefit better from a 12 volt conversion versus a 110 volt conversion. I haven't been able to find any reviews good or bad on the 12 volt kits. can any of you give me your thoughts, the good, the bad and the ugly on this?
Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2021, 10:14 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Do you already have heavy gauge 12 volt wiring behind the refrigerator?
If you use the 110v version, you already have an outlet behind the refrigerator. One side of the outlet goes direct to incoming AC and the other side goes to your inverter. If you use the inverter outlet, it automatically passes straight through when you are plugged into shore power or on the generator.

Are your batteries and inverter in good condition?

Are the seals, latches, and control boards on your Norcold in good condition?
I'd hate to spend over $1k on the JC kit and have other issues with the Norcold.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:46 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
In addition to the opinions of the folks here, I would call Jr. at JC Refrigeration and get his opinion on this.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:12 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Do you already have heavy gauge 12 volt wiring behind the refrigerator?
If you use the 110v version, you already have an outlet behind the refrigerator. One side of the outlet goes direct to incoming AC and the other side goes to your inverter. If you use the inverter outlet, it automatically passes straight through when you are plugged into shore power or on the generator.

Are your batteries and inverter in good condition?

Are the seals, latches, and control boards on your Norcold in good condition?
I'd hate to spend over $1k on the JC kit and have other issues with the Norcold.
Just checked the seals and latches, and all looks good there. Not 100% on the heavy gauge 12 volt wire yet.

My batteries are a couple years old and inverter has never given me any problems. we constantly use the inverter when at the beach.

My reason for leaning 12 volt compared to 110 is I wouldn't need to constantly run the inverter.

Thanks
Old 03-03-2021, 12:12 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
In addition to the opinions of the folks here, I would call Jr. at JC Refrigeration and get his opinion on this.
I did call Jeremy at JC. He recommended the 12 volt system. He said the 12 volt system draws less than the 110. Also you don't need to use your inverter which also draws power. By using the 110 seystem you are kind of double dipping on power.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttilaKara72 View Post
I did call Jeremy at JC. He recommended the 12 volt system. He said the 12 volt system draws less than the 110. Also you don't need to use your inverter which also draws power. By using the 110 seystem you are kind of double dipping on power.
I wanted the 12 volt fridge too, but when I took my rig to JC in Indiana, he found out that my 12 volt wires to the fridge were not heavy duty. And it costs lots of $$$ to run new wire.

Good luck!

Jon
Eratosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:54 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratosthenes View Post
I wanted the 12 volt fridge too, but when I took my rig to JC in Indiana, he found out that my 12 volt wires to the fridge were not heavy duty. And it costs lots of $$$ to run new wire.

Good luck!

Jon
What was the cost to run new wires?
Old 03-03-2021, 11:08 PM   #8

I absolutely love our conversion on our 1210 Norcold, installed it myself. I went back and forth on 12 volt or 120 volt but we have a Seneca and the 2000 watt inverter is always on and we have bank of six 6 volt AGMs with 600 watts of solar...talking with JC, they said the 120 volt was the best option. When I talked with them they said it was pretty much a wash as the 12 volt compressor runs longer than the 120 volt does to do the same cooling so the power consumption was about the same when running on inverter. A lot depends on the inverter, some draw a lot less power when on that others.

As far as the conversion unit, we have camped in 10 degree and up to 105 degrees and the fridge always is a consistent 38 degrees and freezer at 8-10 and this is on setting 3. Before we couldn’t get the fridge below 38 on setting 9.
BMGM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:01 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMGM37 View Post
I absolutely love our conversion on our 1210 Norcold, installed it myself. I went back and forth on 12 volt or 120 volt but we have a Seneca and the 2000 watt inverter is always on and we have bank of six 6 volt AGMs with 600 watts of solar...talking with JC, they said the 120 volt was the best option. When I talked with them they said it was pretty much a wash as the 12 volt compressor runs longer than the 120 volt does to do the same cooling so the power consumption was about the same when running on inverter. A lot depends on the inverter, some draw a lot less power when on that others.

As far as the conversion unit, we have camped in 10 degree and up to 105 degrees and the fridge always is a consistent 38 degrees and freezer at 8-10 and this is on setting 3. Before we couldn’t get the fridge below 38 on setting 9.
We like to keep the fridge at about 37-38 and the freezer near 0. Is there any way to get the freezer lower without having the fridge too low?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:34 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The Fridge has to be calling for cool for the freezer to get cold. So you get in the freezer what you get depending on how cold you keep the fridge.

I have the 120 volt JC unit and I keep the fridge at 35 and the freezer runs 6-9.
Never have to mess with it. Don't have to keep level all of the time.

Tim
Old 03-04-2021, 10:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We like to keep the fridge at about 37-38 and the freezer near 0. Is there any way to get the freezer lower without having the fridge too low?

I havent been on a trip long enough since the install but many have reported adjusting the thermistor position on the fins to change the freezer temps. When you do the conversion you move the thermistor to the 22nd fin from the right and have read reports that moving the thermistor slowly to the right will change your freeze temps. I was ecstatic to even get 8-10 as it NEVER got below 18-20 before the conversion....its nice to not have to eat Ice Cream through a straw now
BMGM37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, conversion