RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2018, 11:36 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbedtelyon View Post
We just came back from a 2.5 month trip after having the 110V JC unit installed. Easily ran on our inverter or generator (ran the generator a lot due to high temps everywhere this year). VERY HAPPY with our choice and do not miss the propane feature at all. JR and his son are wonderful folks and have a great product! Don't hesitate making an appointment to have it done.
Thanks for that report.

windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by krivanj View Post
Nasdaqsam,
He said that in the traditional Norcold setup, cold air falls from the freezer down to the refrigerator. In the compressor system, cold air starts in the refrigerator and is forced up into the freezer. I also have running a two battery fan in the bottommost compartment in the refrigerator to circulate cold air upwards. He liked that idea so I kept it going.
It has been five days now in 90+ temps in Indiana and the refrigerator has stayed 38-41 and the freezer is at -1 to +2. He started at setting 3 but the compressor was cycling off and on with the freezer at about 15. I now am running it at 7. I have frost on the center 6 fins or so.

This doesn't make sense.
I thought the freezer was cooled by plates on the back, and the fridge was cooled by the fins inside.
How would cold air migrate up into the freezer?

Also, I thought the higher number setting was a colder setting.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:13 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Do you suppose that JC might be talking about the circulation of the coolant in the Coils. It starts at the bottom of the fridge and moves up through the Coils to the top, thus actually starting to cool the frig. first and then cooling the freezer section as the refrigerant moves up the coils? I'm just trying to recall how the compressor was set up when I saw the Coil conversion unit down at the Tampa RV Show(Jan 2018), and JC's display units.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #32

That would make sense.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:18 PM   #33

pual l
how did the install go feedback please
Old 08-25-2018, 06:12 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubby124 View Post
pual l
how did the install go feedback please
The install went well - I have a couple of gotchas though. They talk about putting the spray foam in the cavity. When you do, make sure you are able to move the plates around so that you can get the screws back into the matching holes. If you put too much in you will need to cut some of it out to get the plates in the correct spot then spray it back in. Put it all back together including the screws holding the pates to the fridge outside of the cavity so you can adjust and spray foam in.

They talk about replacing the factory fans if older, but they do not tell you that if you go with the HVAC unit you do not use any fans except the one that comes with the unit. I bought replacement fans (expensive) in anticipation but realized they now will just sit on the shelf. Anyone need some fans??

The fridge WORKS GREAT! I do not regret the purchase and would do it again in a heartbeat.
Paul L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L. View Post
The install went well - I have a couple of gotchas though. They talk about putting the spray foam in the cavity. When you do, make sure you are able to move the plates around so that you can get the screws back into the matching holes. If you put too much in you will need to cut some of it out to get the plates in the correct spot then spray it back in. Put it all back together including the screws holding the pates to the fridge outside of the cavity so you can adjust and spray foam in.

They talk about replacing the factory fans if older, but they do not tell you that if you go with the HVAC unit you do not use any fans except the one that comes with the unit. I bought replacement fans (expensive) in anticipation but realized they now will just sit on the shelf. Anyone need some fans??

The fridge WORKS GREAT! I do not regret the purchase and would do it again in a heartbeat.
Hey Paul,

I ordered the HVAC unit and expect delivery tomorrow. Have watched the installation videos and been reading over installation posts.
Can you please explain what you mean when you talk about putting the spray foam in the cavity and making sure you can move the plates around. I am have a hard time visualizing that. Are you talking about putting the screws back in from the inside of the unit? or the mounting screws on the back?

Thanks,
Hal
riderhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:19 AM   #36

Hi Hal -

What I am saying is, the spray foam will restrict movement once it hardens up. On my install the bolt holes did not line up inside the fridge to the plates on the cooling unit as the foam shifted the unit is it expanded / hardened. I suggest you put the foam in but give yourself some wiggle room for the unit to slide around. Once you start the bolts in the fridge / freezer then go back and finish the spray foam.

Does that help?
Old 10-22-2018, 09:26 AM   #37

Thanks Paul, that helps a great deal, I understand now. Makes sense given the limited time to work after the foam is put in and I didn't think about the fact that the foam expands and would shift the unit. Thanks so much. I am hoping to do the install this weekend and will probably be doing it by myself, any other tips?

Hal
riderhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:52 AM   #38

That was the biggie from me Everything went well otherwise thankfully.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:39 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L. View Post
That was the biggie from me Everything went well otherwise thankfully.
I have a GE fridge in mine no special install, before I go on the road, I increase the cooling temp for a few hours, then close and lock the doors, when almost ready to pull over for a rest or other, turn on Gen, about 30 minutes before pulling over. Before I leave I always turn the breakers on the Gen from coach to Gen, then start from my front panel...in the cockpit. Also do not use gen on the road, I built a sub frame just behind by front area, and installed folding wood grain doors, use heavy duty felt at the closure where the doors come together to keep air in Front. My dash unit takes care of heat and air just fine.
rv1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:23 PM   #40

Adding a 110 unit this week

My Norcold died also. I chose the 110 residential unit from JC. I will be installing this week. Let you know how it goes. Also if anyone has tips let me know.
deboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:35 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboer View Post
My Norcold died also. I chose the 110 residential unit from JC. I will be installing this week. Let you know how it goes. Also if anyone has tips let me know.
I'm looking forward to your experience.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:48 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
In the middle of mine at the moment, kept the propane option, got the new fans and electric burner elements with propane burner.

Could have done it all yesterday but we decided to fix some condensation damage and clean up the box it sits in as well. The foam in the back was really damp still so letting it sit overnight just seemed like a good idea before putting the spray foam on it, etc.

Only real issue we had so far was I built a platform to pull the frig out onto, making it easier to get out of the cabinet. But then it was hard to move out of the hall space and into the living space because of the light fixtures and air intact for the roof air conditioner unit. Was about to just cut the legs of the platform when I realized I had some bags of Styrofoam lying around, so we slide off the platform, down a few inches, then leaned over onto its back to get at it all and continue the work.

Seems daunting when you first start but its really not.